UFAs - Konopka, Gaustad and Fedotenko - thoughts?

Guest radoran

Konopka made $700K for Ottawa last season. Good on faceoffs, one of those "tough as nails guys"

Rusty was $1.4M with the Rags last season. Multiple Cup winner, would love to see him in O&B.

These are two guys at less than $3M that I think bring more than their cap value.

I'd throw a Paul Gaustad into the mix as well.

Can likely fit all three into existing off-season cap space.

Thoughts?

Can't go wrong adding a Paul Gaustad to the roster. Boy oh boy did the Preds ever get burned in that deal though....a first round pick for the guy he gets one assist in 14 regualar season games and one goal in 10 playoff games. I know he was not acquired to score per say....but those are horrid numbers. Think Paul plays some wing also...which is where we could use him.

Can't go wrong adding a Paul Gaustad to the roster. Boy oh boy did the Preds ever get burned in that deal though....a first round pick for the guy he gets one assist in 14 regualar season games and one goal in 10 playoff games. I know he was not acquired to score per say....but those are horrid numbers. Think Paul plays some wing also...which is where we could use him.

I'd put him at 4th line C and let him eat up faceoffs.

There are a TON of "good" players in the $1-2.5M range that can be had. I like these three at the top of my list.

Nashville seemed to just be using Gaustad for facoffs then took him straight off which may be why his points total wasn't great.

A first round pick is a bit rich for that roll IMHO. He could be a good fourth liner for us.... not like we need any help with faceoffs. :rolleyes:

@radoran

all ruslan fedotenko does is be around the puck, make smart plays, and play on winning teams, who needs that guy :ph34r:

i think he'd be a good fit for this bunch of flyers, he's a pain to play against, he'll get you 30 pts in some combination, he is a marvelous penalty killer, and face it we need those, I'm not sure about konopka or gaustad, i don't know if i tihnk they are good "hockey players" the way fedotenko is , i think they're good hockey players the way jeff carter is, and i think we need more fedotenko's than carters. meaning can they play wing ? do the little things @Podein25 mentions when he talks about good players, take passes on their backhand, play the off wing. my take on K & G is they're centermen. yep centermen. but admittedly i don't know a whole lot about them.

I'd put him at 4th line C and let him eat up faceoffs.

There are a TON of "good" players in the $1-2.5M range that can be had. I like these three at the top of my list.

Out of those 3 I hope the Flyers would sign Gaustad, he's great on faceoffs, tough and would solve the fourth line centre position. If they can't get him then Konopka would come cheap, he's also great on faceoffs and tough. Hopefully Holmgren has a game plan to solve the defense plus the top-line right winger whether it's resigning Jagr (which I don't see happening now) or trading for Ryan.

Konopka made $700K for Ottawa last season. Good on faceoffs, one of those "tough as nails guys"

Rusty was $1.4M with the Rags last season. Multiple Cup winner, would love to see him in O&B.

These are two guys at less than $3M that I think bring more than their cap value.

I'd throw a Paul Gaustad into the mix as well.

Can likely fit all three into existing off-season cap space.

Thoughts?

I've been wanting them to pickup Konopka for a while..not only is he a 4th line center who's can fight..he's good on the PK also..he's actually an underrated hockey player..

Rusty is always a solid hockey player and would always be welcomed on the team as far as I'm concerned...

Goose I think is overrated

Thing is, in a VERY physical 7 game series with the Rangers, Ottawa choose to dress Zanon for 6 of the 7 games. This speaks volumes for his effecitveness in a very tough series. Only had 2 assists, but scoring was not his role. He has had a LONG ardous road to get to this UFA status. Hope he cashes in...like many have said, a tough as nails, good on faceoffs forward who will stick up for a teammate in a while. Much, much more useful than a Riley Cote or Jody Shelley. If you are going to have 3-4 guys in the press box, I can't see why anyone would not want Konopka up there, even if the match up does not call for his skill set, it would still be nice to have him there. All depends on how much more than the league minimum he will require.

Career stats for those interested....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=42428

Edited by jammer2

This seems like the kinda year where patience will pay off. Lot's of guys who will help you out depth wise at under a million. Once the initial flurry subsides....the GM's will be licking their collective chops with the hard working talent available for cheap.

@doom88 "It would allow maybe Wellwood time to season in the AHL a little longer too."

In Windsor, we spell excitement "W-E-L-L-W-O-O-D". Eric's ready....the hands will come out also, mark my words!!! Our fastest forward will be a terror on the forecheck this coming year!!!

• Like 1

Konopka would be nice. It would allow maybe Wellwood time to season in the AHL a little longer too.

i didn't see much in wellwood's game that made me think playing in adirondak with less skilled players will help him improve.

i thought he excelled in his role at the end of the year. i think he'll excel this year also, you can't teach speed and it kills, that 's the thing i really like about our team we've got a pile of guys that can burn. and the guys that can't take a defensman with them as they slide for life...

what kind of player is konopka besides tough and good at faces offs ?

don't get me wrong those are good things, does he have rusty's hockey iq ? does he have hands of carcillo ?

the isles have been so far off my radar until the end of last season when they started to put it together a little bit, i just don't know about their guys...

gaustad i have a litte more of a fix on, and i thought he had some touch around the net yet Nashville saw no production from him after the trade.

i got no problem with bringing guys with size and sandpaper to the roster but i want them to be players too and not on the bench to settle a score only.

fedotenko isn't a brawler but he's tough to play against and has a great feel for the game.

@mojo1917 Kenopka was with the Senators last season. His hockey iq is just *ok*. He does skate pretty good for a goon type. He seems to cause a lot of turnovers on the forecheck. He's just fast enough to be effective on the forecheck and he's better than most PIM guys on the cycle. Have seen him rip a few home on wristers, but nothing of any consistancy. The big thing for me is he's among the leagues best face off guys....or at least he was in NYI, not sure how he did in Ottawa other than he seemed to win 3-4 a night playing on the bottom two lines with limited ice time. In short, he's respectable for a enforcer.

Ottawa thought enough of his game they dressed him for 6 of the 7 games in the super physical 1st round series against the Rangers. That speaks volumes to me, cause Lundy was so excellent, the Sens were starved for goals, but still found it necessary to dress him. Pretty sure he did eventually sit for game #7 when the Sens dressed Mark Stone (Canadian World Junior scoring star) and Jacob Silfverberg the highly thought of Swede youngster. Think it was more desperation attempt at creating offense than a slight against Kenopka though.

@doom88 "It would allow maybe Wellwood time to season in the AHL a little longer too."

In Windsor, we spell excitement "W-E-L-L-W-O-O-D". Eric's ready....the hands will come out also, mark my words!!! Our fastest forward will be a terror on the forecheck this coming year!!!

Maybe, but I think it could be good to get him significantly more TOI in the AHL, and let that shot/hands develop. Thoughts?

Yes to Rusty and Konopka yes maybe Konopka can teach ZAC! Also Rome on d. Let Gus and Luc play. As far as Jagr if he doesn't come back Wellwood,Wizard or long-shot Huelsius I spelt it wrong but he would be good

Maybe, but I think it could be good to get him significantly more TOI in the AHL, and let that shot/hands develop. Thoughts?

Wellwood played Junior hockey. How much more can his hands and shot possibly develop? ;-)

My thoughts on the free agents is this, fcuk them. it is a weak crop after the 2 top dogs are gone. there is value in the bargin bin that can help this team.

save the pennies for next year and go all in on shea webber.

something that i find a little alarming is how the top FAs aren't interested in coming to Philly i wonder what the deal is there ?

• Like 1