A closer look at Jason Garrison

Guest jammer2

As I've pointed out, Garrison had quite the productive contract year, nearly doubling his previous goal outputs for the season. Thing is, the more I research, the more it seems he's the victim of some untimely injuries and a long college career, that kinda held him back as a known commodity at the NHL level. Found this article at hockey futures on him, which sheds some light on the other aspects of his game. Turns out, at least according to this analysis, he might be just what we are looking for....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jason_garrison/

"Garrison’s strengths are his exceptional skating ability and passing touch.He has good on-ice awareness and transitional capability. Garrison is adept at contributing to offensive without sacrificing defensive responsibility. Lacks an element of consistent physical play but it’s an area he’s working to improve. Garrison appears very comfortable on the ice and is a free-wheeling defender whose strength is generating scoring chances. He has terrific hockey sense and is an ideal power-play quarterback. Garrison is learning to pick his spots better in terms of generating the attack and continues refining his coverage and positioning – as reflected by the improvement in his plus-minus rating. Despite his size, he does not play a particularly physical game."

Is he just a late bloomer? I really like what this scouting report says about him.

Career stats for those that missed it previously....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76396

@jammer2

from everything i've heard, while he has a lot of potential for offensive upside and last season's numbers were not entirely due to an overachieving roster, he is prone to regular and large lapses of judgement in the defensive zone. again, from what i've seen, we're talking carle x2 level of wtf-was-he-thinking. maybe he tightens those up eventually, but for now i don't know the trade off is worth it.

I did not get to see Florida much last year, only highlights, due to not having any Panthers on my FHL roster....did scout him for a brief time when I was mulling the idea of a trade with rux, who owned Garrison. Can't really draw any real conclusions from what I saw, but what I did see, I liked. Still, a HUGE risk at 4mill + (think he will be asking for roughly that area) and a 4-5 year deal. Skill set seems to mimic Carle except for the huge shot....both underwhelming on the phyical side of the ledger. The guy has upsdie, no doubt about it....he will get paid, due to the thin crop of UFA d-men out there. Having Wideman already sign has helped him out, as soon as Suter and Carle are off the board, teams will start throwing stupid money at him.

Edited by jammer2

@RonJeremy Thing is, most teams have Carle as a strong second choice to Suter, so the teams in the mix (ie Detroit, Pittsburgh ect) would want to wait and see how things end up with Suter before moving on to Carle. In a lot of ways, if Suter *really* gets overpaid, then Carle will make a killing off that, so it's probably not in Carles best interest to sign before the crazy GM's get out the chequebook for this years gluttony of overpayment commonly refered to as UFA period....LOL!

So what we can safely say here is Homer misread the situation, if you really read the writing on the wall, he paid a new guy Garrison and also re upped Coburn and didn't do anything with Carle, and now the market turned so Homer is screwed one way or another. It's just like when we went out and got Versteeg,and could have had Leino for a small increase,and we expected Leino to re-sign for a hometown discount ,until Buffalo came along and Leino left for a big payday.

Maybe the whole thing was a stalling tactic by Homer and he was hoping to land Suter but to keep Carle on the back burner just in case,but now with the Wideman deal ,Homer is gonna pay big time or maybe end up with nothing. Homer obviously knows what Carle wants,and if he doesnt want to pay it,he should have dealt him for something like when we tried to get Hamhuis. Now we could end up with nothing at all

@RonJeremy I dunno Ron, I don't think many teams would pay much. It does give you an exclusive window to pitch your offer, but with the contracts already dolled out, and how crazy I anticpate the cash flowing out of GM's pockets, not many players would agree with a deal unless it really knocked your socks off. A guy like Carle might be missing out on an unprecedented spending spree. We *might* get a 7th, but even that is not really realistic. I suppose the ol' future considerations might rear it's ugly head....LOL!

I just hope we don't end up holding our sacks on this one. I'm not the biggest Carle fan but, if we lose him,were back to square one with big question marks on defense. Timmo old ,battered and off back surgery and Mez also off back surgery. One way or another we are either overpaying for Carle or Garrison and then we won't have much $ left to get a wing to replace Jagr. Or we get neither Carle or Garrison, and we are stuck with the defense we have And we can't afford to give up any offense to help improve our defense.

Well thanks, Jammer, I guess I'm real worried about the Rangers and Pens getting any better than they are,and they are in hot pursuit of all the big names.,and it seems none of the big names want to play here except Ryan.To me ,the only option we have left to improve this team is via UFA. We traded our only 2 spare trading chips ins JVR and Bob,so we have nothing left to trade without hurting the team. So all we need is Doan, and either SUTER,CARLE or GARRISON,and backup goalie as long as it isn't Biron. We would then have to two slowest lateral goalies in the NHl. I still have nightmares of all the cheap goals Biron let up as a Flyer,I cant believe anyone would want him back.

We also have to hope the Ranger or Pens do not get Suter, Parise or Ryan.

Honestly Ron, I don't see Praise signing with an Atlantic Division rival. He's kinda old school like that. He want's cash, but he knows he can do it without joining an organization he has grown to hate over the years. Hopefully, best case for the Flyers is Detroit cleans up with all the top level guys. Think about it, these players talk all the time. Imagine Marty Brodeur calling say a Praise and Suter and saying "wanna make something special happen?". All 3 go to Det and the Pens and Rags are lefting sifting over (and vastly overpaying) the left overs. In cases like this, you have to know when to stash the cash and call it a day. Prime example, the Sabres last year. Probably the worst ever UFA's availaable and they max out their caps on the re-treads. Imagine if Buffalo had shown patience and stashed the cash till this year?