Are the Flyers still a desirable team for free agents ?

Guest mojo1917

Gretzky isn't entirely "Gretsky" without Messier and Kurri.

Nash has never played in the NHL with players he has on an international level, where he has been productive. I believe he can be far more productive on the wing of a serious center instead of the giant bowl of crap and Crater that he's been served.

Columbus has no real reason or incentive to deal him. None. He's under contract. He's the captain and face of the team. If he deliberately sucks he hurts no one but himself. He could destroy the entire franchise if he wanted to.

You want Rick Nash then?

Quite frankly, I don't want Rick Nash now. Not because he's not a great player, but because - like Thomas Vanek - he's not worth the money he was offered.

Whoah there, Rick Nash is way better than Vanek, and much more deserving of his contract.

Now I wouldn't pay what Columbus wants, but he's a very good player stuck in a very bad organization.

Whoah there, Rick Nash is way better than Vanek, and much more deserving of his contract.

Now I wouldn't pay what Columbus wants, but he's a very good player stuck in a very bad organization.

I think both players got the contracts they did because the franchises they play for needed to "make a statement" more than "accurate market value."

I think Nash > Vanek, but those are the terms I look at it.

And, still:

Nash: 547 in 674 (.811 PPG)

Vanek: 447 in 547 (.817 PPG)

I guess it depends on your definition of "way better".

Vanek plays with NHL caliber players. Nash? Not nearly as much. The ppg is impressive in my opinion.

I've already said in This Very Thread that Nash has never played with the caliber of player he has at the international level.

So Buffalo is THAT much better than Columbus?? What great setup man has Vanek been playing with? Buffalo's been stumbling around looking for a center for Vanek for his entire contract.

Nash has played regularly with top draft picks who are from actual real-life Junior teams. Maybe they should try an American from the NCAA? :-)

I've already said in This Very Thread that Nash has never played with the caliber of player he has at the international level.

So Buffalo is THAT much better than Columbus?? What great setup man has Vanek been playing with? Buffalo's been stumbling around looking for a center for Vanek for his entire contract.

Nash has played regularly with top draft picks who are from actual real-life Junior teams. Maybe they should try an American from the NCAA? :-)

I think in fairness to Vanek, plenty of his goals came when playing with Derek Roy. This year was an exception as Roy has struggled coming back from the injury.

Roy is a better center than most of what Columbus has lined up in years. Can't commit 100% because frankly, I can't name one center in Columbus history beyond Carter and that one awesome defensive PK guy.

I think in fairness to Vanek, plenty of his goals came when playing with Derek Roy. This year was an exception as Roy has struggled coming back from the injury.

Roy is a better center than most of what Columbus has lined up in years. Can't commit 100% because frankly, I can't name one center in Columbus history beyond Carter and that one awesome defensive PK guy.

Wow, you're going with Derek Roy?

Have you *watched* any Sabres games? 'Cause I have.

There's a reason he's in Dallas.

Wow, you're going with Derek Roy?

Have you *watched* any Sabres games? 'Cause I have.

There's a reason he's in Dallas.

He is by no means your ideal setup, playmaking center. But before he got his season cut short due to the injury a year ago, the previous 3 years he had 49, 42, and 43 assists, repsectively. Not wow-type numbers, but still respectable. He and Vanek had decent chemistry.

He is by no means your ideal setup, playmaking center. But before he got his season cut short due to the injury a year ago, the previous 3 years he had 49, 42, and 43 assists, repsectively. Not wow-type numbers, but still respectable. He and Vanek had decent chemistry.

No, really, I've watched a LOT of Sabres games. Roy is nothing special at all.

For example, he's slotted into the second line in Dallas behind Jamie Benn...

Vanek plays with NHL caliber players. Nash? Not nearly as much. The ppg is impressive in my opinion.

I struggle with @radoran points as well (which are valid). Perhaps it is not fair, but when I watch Nash on team Canada, he is a stud. Austria does not have the quality players that Canada does at the international level. They don't even qualify for the tourney's. It would be interesting to see Vanek on team Canada though.

In all seriousness, Vanek and Nash's situations are very similar. I will take the 6'3 230lb RW over the 6'1 200 lb LW though.

All reports indicate the Jackets are looking for 2 NHL players + picks and prospects for Nash. Mind you, I believe they will have to tone down those demands, but not by much.

Ok, Matt Walker, Ilja and the picks. ;)

A few of Nash's years were spent with Brassard. Never a full season mind you, but the Jackets were always trying to prove they never made a mistake with Derek, so he played quite a few games with Nash in a desperate attempt to up his point totals and justify his high draft slot. It was always like trying to put a round peg in a square hole, he just didn't have the skill set to keep up with Nash.

@jammer2

Do you think Columbus will ever draft a russian again?? <snickers>

If memory serves they screwed the pooch, not once, but twice in drafting russians with a high pick.

It'a amazing how inept they've been

Rotislav Kleska, D

Pascal Leclaire, G

Rick Nash, L

Nikolai Zherdev, R

Alexandre Picard, L (played all of 67 games)

Gilbert Brule, C

Derek Brassard, C

Jakub Voracek, R

Nikita Filatov, L

John Moore, D

Ryan Johansen, C

no 2011

Ryan Murray, D

Of 12 #1 picks with an average spot of 6.67 they found ONE guy who is a definite stud and maybe two(?) more that had a real impact (Kleska, Voracek). They've clearly been desperate for a center for Nash and they dealt the pick that became Couturier for... well-known setup guy, selfless passer and playmaker Jeff Crater.

Filatov and Zherdev are your Russians.

Seriously, one might have to TRY to pick that badly to do worse.

• Like 1

@radoran

Hard to believe, isn't it?? Their GM should have been fired for the Carter trade alone.

Coburn- 8th

Giroux- 22nd

B. Schenn- 5th

Couturier- 8th

L. Schenn- 5th

Voraceck- 7th

Hartnell- 6th

Briere- 24th

Pronger- 2nd

While the Flyers did not draft most of those guys, they are certainly adept of acquiring quality first rounds. I mean as it stands now, nearly half the team consists of first rounds.

Here are the Flyers' picks over the same period

Justin Williams

Jeff Woywitka

Joni Pitkanen

Jeff Crater and Mike Richards

No 2004 pick

Steve Downie

Claude Giroux

JVR

Luca Sbisa

No 2009, 2010 picks

Sean Couturier

Scott Laughton

Average pick: 17.6

I believe all of those guys, except Laughton, played in the NHL last year.

@radoran The hilarious part is, the Jackets pick bum after bum, *but* at least stick to the principal of building through the draft. Then, the genius Howsen (feeling heat for losing no doubt), decides something like "hey, what have these draft picks done for us?, we need legit talent right now!". Problem being, worst possible year to deviate from the keep your pick and build through the draft theory.

The thing with Nash is that the bar has kind of already been established with the Richards / Carter trade. That said (and to your point), I think as a trading GM, you have to establish how much MORE value does nash have above a "carter". The other part of the equation is the cap / salary hit. Nash is the 5th highest paid player in the NHL and while never having the supporting linemates in Columbus that he needs, he has never put up the value in production to support that salary. I don't think a Read + #1 + a conditional #2 gets it done. I do think think a "Read" and a number 1 and two number 2 picks would get it done. Columbus has to realize that no team is going to gut its roster to get Nash. I would do that deal as stated.

Good point on the trade level being established by Richards/Carter. Carter might have had a long contract @ 11 years for $58 mil, but at $5.27 mil a season, that looks below his market value. On the flip side, Nash has better overall skills and a shorter contract length, but at a MUCH higher cap hit. To me these points wash.

So Carter got traded for Voracek, a #1, and a #3 pick. Richards, traded for Simmonds, Schenn, and a #2. Both trades seem very similar as far as the give/get level.

Applied to Nash, I think your Read + #1 PLUS TWO #2's would be a good deal for both teams. And you're right, no one is going to gut their roster to get Nash right now.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm giving this thread a bump, because, evidently the best player not named crosby malkin or giroux thinks philly is okay enough to spend 14 years here. so I guess i have my answer.

• Like 1

They've clearly been desperate for a center for Nash and they dealt the pick that became Couturier for... well-known setup guy, selfless passer and playmaker Jeff Crater.

To be fair, no one really thought Couturier would fall to 8th. Well, at least Columbus reasonably didn't think so.