Are the Flyers still a desirable team for free agents ?

Guest mojo1917

I mentioned this in the Kenopka , Fedotenko thread, but i feel like it could stand to be its own discussion.

Is Philadelphia a desirable destination for hockey players any more ?

does Bryzgalov hamper our attractiveness ?

does the demanding and passionate fan base scare people off ?

are they afraid of signing a lengthy contract and then being shipped to columbus ?

does the chairman stand too close when he's glad handling with the players ?

or are suter and J bow and hamuis a bunch of mama's boys that want to play closer to home and be with their boyfriends ( not that there's anythign wrong with that) ?

it is interesting to me that many of this bunch of FAs have expressed an interest in NOT playing in Philadelphia... wtf?

If I had to take a guess, I'd say Bryz's crappy netminding might be making some UFA's think twice. Even if he is not here for the full 9 years, the two or three year drama involved in Bryz eventually leaving would be quite distracting. Who want's to enter all that drama when you can just go someplace and win from day 1. At some point, if things don't get better, the Flyers will have to start plotting on ways to get rid of him, and that can get ugly. In short, I think Bryz is a roadblock to attaining Lord Stanely, and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that way...lol.

Suter is not interested, Parise is a rival, and Schultz is a prima donna. I don't think there is a deterant.

Bobby Ryan wants to be here. I bet Doan would entertain it.

I'm not worried about it. Lots of teams are staying away from Detroit too.

Beat me to it, Grump. I haven't seen enough yet to convince me there's any general hesitation among UFAs to come to Philly. Hamhuis wanted to be closer to home. Schultz insists on playing in Canada. Suter supposedly doesn't want to play anywhere in the East, and even then his agent denied that he has a list of teams he's excluded.

Anyone wanting to play for a winner could do a lot worse than to come to a team that racked up 100+ points with a roster featuring half a dozen rookies in ksignificant roles, Bryz notwithstanding. And the Flyers have a good reputation as a team that looks after their players. I don't think a few recent trades--even high-profile ones--can erase that decades-old image. If anything, it just speaks to a desire to do what it takes to build a winner.

• Like 1

Greetings:

I posted elsewhere and repeat here that for goaltending, I have to think we might be a "suspect" location. We don't seem to develop them and the track record of "imports" other than Parent/Favell (Boston farm system, I think) isn't inspiring. For other positions, I think we would be an excellent home.

Best,

Howie

I mentioned this in the Kenopka , Fedotenko thread, but i feel like it could stand to be its own discussion.

Is Philadelphia a desirable destination for hockey players any more ?

does Bryzgalov hamper our attractiveness ?

does the demanding and passionate fan base scare people off ?

are they afraid of signing a lengthy contract and then being shipped to columbus ?

does the chairman stand too close when he's glad handling with the players ?

or are suter and J bow and hamuis a bunch of mama's boys that want to play closer to home and be with their boyfriends ( not that there's anythign wrong with that) ?

it is interesting to me that many of this bunch of FAs have expressed an interest in NOT playing in Philadelphia... wtf?

Nice work; I consider this a very relevant topic.

The treatment Bryzgalov received may be the most important. I tend to doubt a big FA would worry much about getting traded (because he'll almost certainly get an NTC). But Suter, for example, would sure have to be squeezing his stick tight after becoming the highest paid hockey player in this town. I can't blame them really. But I also think Bryzgalov deserved all the **** he got. I'm a typical Philadelphian I guess.

Nice work; I consider this a very relevant topic.

The treatment Bryzgalov received may be the most important. I tend to doubt a big FA would worry much about getting traded (because he'll almost certainly get an NTC). But Suter, for example, would sure have to be squeezing his stick tight after becoming the highest paid hockey player in this town. I can't blame them really. But I also think Bryzgalov deserved all the **** he got. I'm a typical Philadelphian I guess.

Its really not that difficult for athletes here is it? Look at Lappy. Look at Primeau. Look at Giroux.

Its pretty simple to me. Come in and play your heart out. Fight hard every night. Leave it all on the field. Win or lose you will be loved in this city. Regardless of the sport this is a blue collar town and if you work hard for our team we will love you.

Disclaimer: Don't be an idiot in the media. Don't ruin your career with drugs.

• Like 1

Suter is not interested, Parise is a rival, and Schultz is a prima donna. I don't think there is a deterant.

Bobby Ryan wants to be here. I bet Doan would entertain it.

I'm not worried about it. Lots of teams are staying away from Detroit too.

Man, Homer should drop all of this Nash talk & trade for Bobby Ryan.

• Like 1

Its really not that difficult for athletes here is it?

Yes, it is. Ask the athletes. Very few of them show up intending to do anything other than work hard and win. But things don't always work out well and when they don't, Philly is a tough place to play.

We can conjure up plausible rationale, but this is reality. Not everyone is cracked up for the pressure here.

@terp

well then i guess it is good that these mental weaklings don't want to come to town... i sort of side with @Phillygrump on this ,show up & leave it on the playing surface and don't be an ass hat, plus look like you are trying; grimace a little , stare down an opponent or official add some extra steps to whatever your skill, we don't like talented guys that make the game look easy. i personally think this is stupid, but it's how this fan base rolls.

like i said i totally get parise not wanting to sign with an atlantic division team out of respect, and learned hatred. i don't get a guy who plays in nashville, where every away game is plane ride would not like playing in the east. and specifically here.

Media and fan impatience / abuse. It's really getting out of control. I know I myself am guilty at Bryz.

Carchidi and Pinocchio need their press credentials revoked though..,

I think its more media than fan. The Philly sorts media is brutal and sometimes shameless. They certainly don't speak for me.

Media and fan impatience / abuse. It's really getting out of control. I know I myself am guilty at Bryz.

Carchidi and Pinocchio need their press credentials revoked though..,

That probably is factors into the decision of some players but not many. Guys have different reasons for wanting to play in certain locations. I don't see us as being any better or worse than we were 5, 10 or even 20 years ago. Usually it boils down to money and a chance to win. We have both.

@mojo1917 Take it for what it's worth, but right outta Timmy.P's newest blog entry

"One prominent agent told me before FA began the Flyers would have trouble this summer luring impact players b/c a lot of guys aren't sold on goalie Ilya Bryzgalov's ability to win a Cup and based on what they saw this season in Philly, reinforces their belief."

@mojo1917 Take it for what it's worth, but right outta Timmy.P's newest blog entry

"One prominent agent told me before FA began the Flyers would have trouble this summer luring impact players b/c a lot of guys aren't sold on goalie Ilya Bryzgalov's ability to win a Cup and based on what they saw this season in Philly, reinforces their belief."

Matt Carle's contract in Tampa makes me think this statement has some valid merit. OUCH!

and Timonen could be gone next year. F.

Matt Carle's contract in Tampa makes me think this statement has some valid merit. OUCH!

and Timonen could be gone next year. F.

Now that you mention it with some perspective, makes my stomach drop. Nothing we fans can do either.

Now that you mention it with some perspective, makes my stomach drop. Nothing we fans can do either.

oh yeah, mine dropped.....big time. I've been on a high all day with the Parise / Suter news. The news of Carle signing in Tampa struck the panic button. If Bryz is the reason then "oh crap"..... there isn't a chance in hell Weber signs here. There really isn't any d-men in our system to rave about.

........if Bryz thought he was under pressure before, then this team is in a huge pile of trouble.