BARTULIS WAIVED

Guest jkearse123

Maybe he was just not developing as they had hoped....who knows. Like DGG said, with so little organizational depth at this position....kinda puzzling. I expect our first pick from a few years ago Simon Bertlisson (sp?) will not be signed to even get waived...lol.

Simon Bertlisson I thought wasn't signed last season and is playing in Sweden. Thus would be a FA.

Due to the transfer with (Finland and Sweden) agreement teams can only keep their European drafted players two years if not signed to an entry level contract. Which is why we lost Eriksson the goalie also.

Thanks for clearing that up 101. You would think going forward that if you have a few players slotted in and around the same area for the draft and one if from Europe and one is from the NCCA, the college student gets the nod. You get a full 4 years before you have to sign them, so they get to develop while not taking up a AHL spot, you don't lose the rights as a European pick faces after 2 years....seems like an uneven playing field, no?

Maybe he was just not developing as they had hoped....who knows. Like DGG said, with so little organizational depth at this position....kinda puzzling. I expect our first pick from a few years ago Simon Bertlisson (sp?) will not be signed to even get waived...lol.

I was reading and noted that the guy did not play one game with us in 11-12. So I suspect Bourdon is the anointed seventh man. Bartulis had his chances. I guess the brass saw more upside elsewhere. One commentary on him on Yahoo questioned character/grit.

Peace,

Howie

I was reading and noted that the guy did not play one game with us in 11-12. So I suspect Bourdon is the anointed seventh man. Bartulis had his chances. I guess the brass saw more upside elsewhere. One commentary on him on Yahoo questioned character/grit.

Peace,

Howie

Plus Bartulis was hurt to playing for his country i believe...either way there is a jog jam on the blueline Gus is exempt and will more than likely start out on the Phantoms no doubt...

Just my 2 cents but... everyone is focusing on our d and how little depth we have. It could be better but we have (if we re-sign carle) a reasonable d corps with good plug ins for injuries. That's really not my point though. While the fans are focused on our defence I think Hommer and company are focused on a winger and backup goalie. Maybe I'm wrong but I think what you see of our d is what it's going to be unless some unbelievable deal comes along. Timmo, Coburn, Carle, Mez, Schenn, MAB, Grossmann, that's not bad. But we NEED a backup goalie and if we lose Jagr... well I'd feel allot better with another winger who can finish after losing Jagr and JVR... Just my opinion.

On paper our D is pretty good. In practice, the 10 bagger Pitt put up against us might say otherwise, and for a Flyers team to be 20 in the league in GAA...strange.

That said, 600K goes a long way towards paying for a backup, so even if there is some payout, there was a method to doing this.

Howie

The Bartuulis money's really nothing, though. I'm not sure if he was on a one-way or two way contract, but at worst it would count towards the offseason cap, which is about 77 million. Once the regular season rolls around, his number is off the cap if he's in the AHL.

I think the bigger thing to look at here is the contract limit. This is where dropping Bartulis might help the Flyers out.

Maybe he was just not developing as they had hoped

this would be my thought. Management got a good look at Bartulis and while he's a serviceable call up/7th, maybe they just want to go in a different direction with what type of player they want filling that role.

On paper our D is pretty good. In practice, the 10 bagger Pitt put up against us might say otherwise, and for a Flyers team to be 20 in the league in GAA...strange.

That said, 600K goes a long way towards paying for a backup, so even if there is some payout, there was a method to doing this.

Howie

Watching your goalie let in...sorry, funnel in softie and floater after not even on net but somehow he manages to direct it in can make any D look bad. Theres no possible way Bryzgalov is as bad this year as last...it's not humanly possible.

Wait a minute...

• Like 1

@Mad Dog I think another poster had it right MD, the Flyers saw his upside as a 6/7 guy and thought there was better candidates to fill the role. They might have done him a favour, because now at least he might catch on with somebody and through injuries prove himself worthy. Plus, I'm thinking his presence in the AHL would have blocked other guys from pp time/playing time down there. Maybe even push a legit prospect down to the ECHL...which you don't really want.