Homer giving up our future for Nash? Nooooooo,

Guest Samifan

Giving up our future is the "flyers way" ;) sorry for whining but it's happend before many many times.

Well, To high price for Nash.

I would feel ok to give up Schenn + pick for Nash but not Cooter. Im a big fan of him and that dude wil grow and become really good.

I can't see him giving up Schenn after all the hubbub over the Schenn brothers playing together. I believe Schenn and Couturier will develop into bigger stars than Nash.

Outside looking in, Trading Couts plus whatever for Nash, if it gets you a banner is worth it. Ten years from now when Nash is retired and Couts is still scoring 30 plus goals a year for some other team it is worth it if Nash helps carry your team to a cup.

Howson is trying for a kings ransom as he should. He doesnt have to trade Nash, and if he does he shouldnt settle for nice complimentary players, he should do the most possible for his team. Rumor has it he turned down Pavelski, Clowe and Demers from the Sharks before the draft. If that offer was on the table and he turned it down he was foolish, that was more than Philly or the Rangers will or should offer. Personally, I think Howson is trying to trade him to the east, Ottawa is where I think he will wind up.

@yave1964 Of course Howsen is going to try for a ridicilous coup of a deal...this guys job and security are on the line..and a good part of him keeping himself employed will rest on the what he re-coups from Nash. Pavelski, Clowe and Demers would have addressed a bunch of Blue Jacket problems. First off, Pavs would be a legit #1 center in Columbus, something they have never had. Clowe adds both goals and toughness on the wing and Demers is a pretty decent defenseman. I agree, if he left that on the table that's an awful lot of guaranteed production to pass up.

@Bakanekimiwa This deal has the potential to ruin my summer....maybe my whole year. Getting a legit star back like Nash would make me a little less sick....he has never played with the likes of G and could indeed become a 100 pt star in Philly...but still, this is no responible way to run a franchise....taking on a cap hit like that....it's just reeks of desperation....and we should not be desperate, the future is to bright.

• Like 1

Coots and Schenn are off-limits in my book. Homer ..you do this deal and I will hunt you down and make sure every prescription you take is filled wrong. You really cannot be that blind...can you......... :unsure: :blink:

@Bakanekimiwa This deal has the potential to ruin my summer....maybe my whole year. Getting a legit star back like Nash would make me a little less sick....he has never played with the likes of G and could indeed become a 100 pt star in Philly...but still, this is no responible way to run a franchise....taking on a cap hit like that....it's just reeks of desperation....and we should not be desperate, the future is to bright.

I would love to have Nash, but at that price tag... nooo thanks. we've already traded the best 2 pieces for a trade with CBJ. JVR and bob were our 2 best assets to send their way. as soon as they were dealt, I felt that the Nash rumors would stop. if I'm homer, there's just no way I'm losing either of those players... I don't care who we get back.

Cooter may be a more valuable player than Nash already at a tenth of the price. I can't imagine that Homer would up two high potential prospects and take on a $7.5MM contract for a guy who, while very good, isn't worth his contract. Also, if they do this trade, they are short of bodies because they have traded away a lot of depth and probably can't resign Jagr or Carle.

This seems like a senseless, team changing for the worse deal. So much so that I doubt it will ever happen.

Everybody back away from the ledge! Trust homer to do what he thinks is best for the organization.

Alaska: I hope you are right. One thing for sure; we seem to be a favorite trading partner of Scott Howson. Shoot, you'd think he would learn that the Homermeister is going to probably fleece him.

Best,

Howie

I would be very surprised if this deal did indeed happen. i read that instead of Couturier, Columbus wanted both Schenns and Read. This is just fantasy foolishness. If Homer is willing to trade those three players away he could garner a much better return.

Samifan

Pass on nash and sign Doan. I don't get the gushing for Nash. A world top player, sure. But something the Flyers need (to give up Schenn and Couturier)- it would be a dive by accident to me. I would look, blink and keep driving.

I think the rumors are just that "rumors". Frankly I think it is all a smoke screen.

No way is Holmgren trading B. Schenn after trading away JVR to get his brother, Luke.

How ridiculous is that??

I think the rumors are just that "rumors". Frankly I think it is all a smoke screen.

No way is Holmgren trading B. Schenn after trading away JVR to get his brother, Luke.

How ridiculous is that??

As ridiculous as his Carter, Richards, Bryz business last season.

As ridiculous as his Carter, Richards, Bryz business last season.

Bryz's rumors were not ridiculous. I think it was farily certain that Bryz was going to be the goaltender choice, especially to help communicate with Bob.

Carter and Richards were surprising at first, but once some of their team issues were revealed trading them really was a necessity.

Frankly I think it is all a smoke screen.

Agreed. This is setting up exactly the same as last week. Lots of Nash & Ryan rumors, then Homer trades for Luke Schenn.

I think something is going to happen, just not what everyone is thinking is going to happen (if that makes sense)!!

It seems like half the fans more and more of the GMs in the league are becoming shopaholics. Every big name free agent that hits the market sparks another frenzy of "I gotta have one," whether or not he really fits a need or a system. It's the way of the world now, I guess, but I miss the old days when you won championships by building chemistry and developing talent, not buying it.

It still is the way you win...and why we haven't in so long. This team,is on a neverending course of buy high sell low. We always go after the high end FAs, trade picks for past their prime players, and rarely have the patience to let a player fully develop.

• Like 3

Relax folks. Both Tim P and Bill Meltzer are saying the Flyers are NOT putting Schenn or Couturier on the table. With the cap hit coming back, Holmgren can stick to his guns and say no. But he's got to kick the tires on Nash - He's a top player in the league on a team with zero supporting cast. If he can get him in here at a reasonable cost, he's got to explore the option. Columbus is going to lose all their leverage once free agency starts in a few hours, anyway.

JVR and bob were our 2 best assets to send their way.

Well, JVR went to Toronto, but yeah, I agree with what you are saying and I feel the same way. I am still angry... Not so much over the fact that Bob and JVR were traded, but there is no way this is the best Homer could've gotten for them. These were our best trade chips and so far all we have to show for is Luke Friggin' Schenn - the guy who found himslef in the doghouse with two different head coaches. And this is the guy who is supposedly going to see some prominent role on our defense.

I am totally underwhelmed and unimpressed with what Homer has doen so far this summer.

Nash is -71 for his career. I know it was with a bad franchise, and +/- can sometimes be taken with a grain of salt, but his numbers - other than that - aren't much different than Jeff Carter's. Projected through a full season, Carter scores one more goal in a bad year last year. (Did that sentence make sense? I guess.)

Schenn and a pick or prospect for Nash? I say go for it, that gives the Flyers a better chance to win now. Giroux and Nash on a line might be epic. But I want to see Couturier blossom as a Flyer. And I'd rather have Ryan for all the reasons mentioned by others in the Ryan thread.

Edited by TedZep

Homer should be fired trading Couts or Schenn no flipping way. JVR and Bob should of part of any deal! Ryan before Nash. Also D more important

JVR and Bob are already gone....unless I've missed your meaning