Homer giving up our future for Nash? Nooooooo,

Guest Samifan

@TedZep They want to start tossing around Couturier and B.Schenn, sure take them both, but give me both Nash and Ryan Johanson. That makes sense from a Flyers persective, Nash for B.Schenn and Couts for Ryan J.

Ryan Johanson is one of the only players in the NHL I'd trade straight up for Couts. The reason...Ryan is an ELITE skater, with hands and a work ethic just like Couts. Start talking Ryan J. and Howson will hang up quick. and oh yeah....Ryan is same size (apporx) as Couts, 6'3 and 205.

Schenn and a pick or prospect for Nash? I say go for it, that gives the Flyers a better chance to win now. Giroux and Nash on a line might be epic. But I want to see Couturier blossom as a Flyer. And I'd rather have Ryan for all the reasons mentioned by others in the Ryan thread.

Schenn and a pick won't get the deal done, not with the highway robbery Columbus' GM is trying to commit

@Bakanekimiwa This deal has the potential to ruin my summer....maybe my whole year. Getting a legit star back like Nash would make me a little less sick....he has never played with the likes of G and could indeed become a 100 pt star in Philly...but still, this is no responible way to run a franchise....taking on a cap hit like that....it's just reeks of desperation....and we should not be desperate, the future is to bright.

Don't worry Jammer...I read that this might just be to drive up the price on Nash who has been linked to the Rangers in rumors also. Let's hope that's the case. No way you give up either of those guys who should be cornerstones of the team for years.

There is no way in hell I trade Schenn or Couturier. I think Nash is one of the top 20 players in the league but Schenn and Couturier have the potential to both be top 20/30 players at some point. Not that they both will but if that was just their rookie season last year, no way I would trade them. I also don't like Nash's cap hit on our team. I'd much rather take that hit for a big time defenseman, if not this year, then next.

Well, JVR went to Toronto, but yeah, I agree with what you are saying and I feel the same way. I am still angry... Not so much over the fact that Bob and JVR were traded, but there is no way this is the best Homer could've gotten for them. These were our best trade chips and so far all we have to show for is Luke Friggin' Schenn - the guy who found himslef in the doghouse with two different head coaches. And this is the guy who is supposedly going to see some prominent role on our defense.

I am totally underwhelmed and unimpressed with what Homer has doen so far this summer.

The pressure is all from Ed Snider, wih Clarke in the background. I don't know how Holmgren works at that lunny tune house. I stopped getting emotionally involved with this team years ago when I figured out right away when Hitch got canned that Clarke was in Snider's head and using his money. Clarke is a vindictive little prick who can't get over he was just the opposite of what he was as a player as a GM.. Get rid of Clarke and Snider and things turn around.

@doom88 Ya know doomster, I've been mulling over what Ott was offering. I think they have enough young talent to swing it..something like Stoner, Robin Lehner, Silferberg 2 first rounders and maybe Jared Cowan...a highly tought of d-man who is huge. Maybe one of these guys gets taken out, but Ottawa def has the young talent to pull this off. Would not be wise of them though....watch out for this team when these guys start contributing.

@doom88 Ya know doomster, I've been mulling over what Ott was offering. I think they have enough young talent to swing it..something like Stoner, Robin Lehner, Silferberg 2 first rounders and maybe Jared Cowan...a highly tought of d-man who is huge. Maybe one of these guys gets taken out, but Ottawa def has the young talent to pull this off. Would not be wise of them though....watch out for this team when these guys start contributing.

I'm a little familiar with Cowan, no way they trade him. No way.

I thought Ottawa had money issues, which would require salary going back...unless times have changed for them again?

Um, I've been seriously misquoted above....I said:

JVR and Bob are already gone....unless I've missed your meaning

Plan B? Who knows, I think Homer makes this stuff up as he goes along.....I rather he did nothing right now instead of making some of high profile deals that are left out there....

Edit: Oh I get what happened there now, yes JVR and Bob in a package could have helped land some talent, but I think Homer decided he wasn't going to pay the ridiculous price for Nash, and took what he could get for them separately.....

I really don't want to see us send away either Schenn or Cooter. I like Read but I would be ok if he was in a deal for Nash along with some draft picks. I am more ok with not doing anything at all and keeping this core of young players together.

I really don't want to see us send away either Schenn or Cooter. I like Read but I would be ok if he was in a deal for Nash along with some draft picks. I am more ok with not doing anything at all and keeping this core of young players together.

I would be absolutely content if Read goes as part of the deal to bring Nash in as long as Couturier and Schenn are not dealt. But I don't think Columbus want to hear anything about that.

• Like 1

I agree with Mad Dog's last post. Don't give Couts back to CBJ and I'd prefer to keep Schenn. Here's what the Columbus newspaper is saying about Nash - as of this afternoon. Take it with a grain of salt. These guys are like blind squirrels -- occassionally they'll find a nut.

Jul 2, 2012

Lay Of The Land

Day 2 of NHL free agency dawns, with Rick Nash still a member of the Blue Jackets. No shocker there, really, as the Blue Jackets anticipated the market for Nash remaining stagnant until free agent Zach Parise picks his destination. At that time, GM Scott Howson hopes, the clubs who don't get Parise will up the ante to land Nash.

Some bullet-point news/observations on where the process stands at this hour:

-- To this moment, Nash's camp has not been presented with any trade offers to accept or decline.

-- Philadelphia is most definitely on Nash's list of approved destinations. The Flyers have been in on talks with the Blue Jackets regarding Nash for months now. Last week's trade of James van Riemsdyk to Toronto does not create a roadblock to a deal, we're told, only a hurdle. The Jackets liked van Riemsdyk and would have gladly taken him in the deal. But the Flyers have plenty of pieces still that could get it done.

-- The New York Rangers still appear to make the most sense, based on their organizational configuration. Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports Howson is insistent on getting Chris Kreider, Ryan McDonagh or Derek Stepan -- one of those three, if not two of them -- in any deal for Nash. We've not been able to confirm those names on this end, but it's been suggested that most of the clubs still interested in Nash have presented a couple/few possible packages.

-- Media in New York has reported that the Rangers are not in on Parise, who has said he wouldn't leave the Devils for the rival Rangers. Still, if the Flyers land Parise, you'd better believe the Rangers become more interested in Nash. Same is true if Pittsburgh gets Parise.