Eklund Saying Leighton to Flyers: "Hearing Done" (E5)

Guest DinahMoeHumm

It's now confirmed. Done deal!!

Should have just stuck with Bob for another year if Leighton was plan B

Moving Bob was ala Canadians moving Halak off of Price's ass. Price has been pretty good since despite the teams performance.

This might be a disaster for us. If Bryz plays like **** then the fans are gonna be calling for Leighton because of what he did during our SCF run. You'd be surprised how many people on Facebook still love Leighton. Ugh...

Really? Sorry never have and will facebook...just my choice...but that is really sad. Well he'll get a chance to let in 4 goals again like his last performance verse Buffalo....way to go homer...was hoping it was going to be Mason.So much for that....

Sorry for the slow reaction guys, just wiping the puke off my Flyers jersey....I honestly *almost* heaved. Um, yeah, let's put all our eggs in Bryz's basket!?!?!? For a guy who lied to us, showed a total lack of professionalism in lying about an injury?? There was MUCH better options out there for the same money!!!??????

• Like 1

Sorry for the slow reaction guys, just wiping the puke off my Flyers jersey....I honestly *almost* heaved. Um, yeah, let's put all our eggs in Bryz's basket!?!?!? For a guy who lied to us, showed a total lack of professionalism in lying about an injury?? There was MUCH better options out there for the same money!!!??????

Totally agreed jammer. This is really sickening. Homer's too busy salivating over forwards that we don't need to focus on getting a quality backup for our head case starter.

Really? Sorry never have and will facebook...just my choice...but that is really sad. Well he'll get a chance to let in 4 goals again like his last performance verse Buffalo....way to go homer...was hoping it was going to be Mason.So much for that....

Sadly, yes. Whenever the Flyers would post something that had to do with goaltending or a goal against, a decent group of fans flocked to post about bringing back Leighton and how good he was until the injury. It's like they forgot how horrible he was against a team with a good offense in those Blackhawks. He looked borderline great at points in the season and playoffs but was disgustingly bad in the Finals. Not who I want in net.

@brelic Homer *really*, *really* undervalued the back up spot here. The logial decison was to spend a few million here, gives us Bryz injury insurance....now we are DONE if Bryz gets hurt, or you give up a first rounder for a guy who we could have got for free today!! Brutal, brutal talent evealuation here...I lost a LOT of faith in Homer just now!!

• Like 1

The silver lining is that this is a one year deal. As underwhelming as this choice is, he's appropriate for the role and perhaps after this year, if rain man doesn't perform, he's out of excuses.

@pilldoc I can see being screwed by Bryz.....but another screwing over of our valation....I can't take this!!

As I posted immediately after you just now, I'm not nearly as upset about this. There were not a lot of alternatives out there and it is only a one year deal. Also, perhaps this move helps Bryz's "soul" and improves his performance.

@canoli The Leighton signing could make us a non playoff team. As weird as that sounds, it's SOOOOO close in the East, 4 or 5 extra loses by your back up could destroy a season!! If Bryz goes down we are straight up done!!

It's a one-year, 900,000 deal. There's not a lot out there on the FA market -not for the term and the money. Let's face it, if we need the backup goalie to come in and save the season because Bryzgalov implodes or gets broken, there's nobody out there on the market that really looks capable.

Absolutely Jam - it doesn't take much anymore to put you 9th and out of the PO picture - and with the 3-point swings (the Stupid SO) in Div [edit: Conf I meant] games the ground gets awfully hard to make up.

Frankly I think between our 2 goalies it's 6-in-one-hand-half-a-dozen-in-the-other. They both suck and neither one is capable of handling the pressure in the POs.

Jeez - I thought at least we proved that with Leighton.

Edited by canoli

Montoya woulda been a great bet - but honestly I'd take Gustavson, Chris Mason...hell anyone over Goatboy Leighton.

and even though it sounds like I'm holding that 1 goal against him (I am of course) it isn't just that 1 goal, it was the entire Final. He sucked in all 6 games, and the writing was on the wall before the Final started.

dumb dee dumb dumb dumb signing this guy again.

Maybe so, and he's really the only one available that I would have gone after. But I also think that if Gustafsson got 1.5, Montoya will get more - and how much do you spend on a backup when you have a guy that will play 60+ games most seasons? Especially when there are teams that are out there that may look at him as a starter?

People are worried about Bryzgalov having a bad season, I get that. But if we're looking at the backup goaltender to make or break the season/playoffs/SC hopes this year, then the problems on the team are deeper than the goaltending. Even with Bryzgalov's struggles, the team finished 5th and made it to the second round. To think that the backup goalie would be the difference between a similar finish and falling out of the playoffs entirely...I just don't get.