Eklund Saying Leighton to Flyers: "Hearing Done" (E5)

Guest DinahMoeHumm

the answer is what Jammer said a minute ago - the PO races are so tight now, the parity is so great that a handful of points won or lost by your backup can make all the difference.

I get what you're saying too, and it's valid: if our backup makes or breaks our PO run...well then we probably have bigger issues to deal with. But all things being equal - and they are about as equal as they can get! - your backup is a key player.

to hand the reins to Michael Leighton is a big mistake imho. I would've rather seen - well like I said...anyone. At least with somebody else you don't have the stink of Failure all over him in a Flyers' jersey.

It's Eklund, so take it for what it is. I haven't seen anything anywhere else to confirm it, but thought I'd share...

Ok, as others have now said... yep, confirmed...

Great move. Saving the money for other moves.

The Flyers finished 11 points ahead of the 8th seed, 14 ahead of #9 Buffalo. If Leighton were to start as many games as Bob did last year, which I doubt, the Flyers would have to go 7-17-2 in those games to finish out of the playoffs.

On top of that, how much are you willing to pay for anyone? The Flyers have 11 million in cap space, most, if not all, of the 10% cushion is being chewed up by Walker, Pronger, and the guys that have two way contracts that played on the big club last year. Plus, just because Leighton is signed, doesn't mean he's the backup. He could end up on the Phantoms, just like last year, if the Flyers sign someone else - they still have to resign Backlund, for one thing. Is it likely that they will? No, I don't think so. But they do need goalies on the Phantoms, as well. So Holmgren is going to have other options if Leighton can't win a game.

Okay.... well thanks for the dose of reality. I'll step away from the ledge now!

But I'm still mystified why anyone in the Flyers' organization thinks Michael Leighton is the answer to anything...even a struggling Phantoms' squad.

Maybe something, but it sure ain't goaltender.

I'm OK with this move and I think Leighton may be getting a bum rap. If I recall correctly, Leighton played very well In 2009-2010 and then got hurt late in the regular season. He never quite got back In the groove, let in that bad goal, hurt his back, got waived, etc. but before all of that happened, he was pretty darn good for us. The Flyers have had plenty of opportunities to evaluate this guy, so I defer to Homer on this one.

Leighton played quite well after being picked up by the Flyers until the cup finals. However, I think there's valid concern that he's never gotten right since the injury. Supposedly Reese likes him, so that's something, but he never seemed to be the same after signing the two year deal.

I'm not sold on him being the backup, but I'm not going to jump off the bridge over our backup goaltender, either. Defense and a winger for Giroux are more pressing, IMO.

Supposedly Reese likes him, so that's something,

It is definitely "something". They know exactly what they are getting, which isn't true of anyone else who is even a remotely plausible candidate. He's cheap and he's a known quantity who they think can fill the role.

@AJgoal The Flyers had 103 pts last year, the playoff cut off was 89, a difference of 14 points. Points registered by our back ups last season....just Bob alone was 28....in other words, if Leighton is not Leight-out....we don't make the playoffs.....simple math in my books.

So you think that if Leighton got 26 decisions with last year's squad, he wouldn't be able to register half the points that Bob did? Really? Bryzgalov was the worst goalie to have ever played in Philly, and they still managed a 0.65 point percentage in the games he played. With Bob in net, they managed a .53 point percentage. That would have to fall to .31 in 26 games for them to fall out of the playoffs. With Bob out of the picture, I think it's less likely that Leighton will see 26 games, more 15-20, if that. Taking the high number, that means the flyers would have to lose 15 of 20 games started by Leighton (assuming that they get 79 points in 62 Bryzgalov starts, 65%) to miss the playoffs. If that happens, it ain't the goaltender.

Bryz playing more is a good thing....I dunno. We shall see huh. I will not be shocked to see the Flyers have to give up a very good prospect or signifcant draft pick after Leights falls flat on his face.

@AJgoal The Flyers had 103 pts last year, the playoff cut off was 89, a difference of 14 points. Points registered by our back ups last season....just Bob alone was 28....in other words, if Leighton is not Leight-out....we don't make the playoffs.....simple math in my books.

Excellent point.

Would have perfered them inking Mason, instead of the sieve at more times than not goaltender known as Micheal Leighton...

...Bob sulking after bad games have scared management...

...they would just prefer for them to get lost in the woods.

Greetings:

The "real" problem isn't Leighton. The pickings are slim. The problem is an "organeyezhation" that doesn't develop goalies. Leighton commented on how happy he is to be working with Jeff Reiss again. Shoot...why isn't there a young prospect Reiss is grooming for backup?

Peace,

Howie

Greetings:

The "real" problem isn't Leighton. The pickings are slim. The problem is an "organeyezhation" that doesn't develop goalies. Leighton commented on how happy he is to be working with Jeff Reiss again. Shoot...why isn't there a young prospect Reiss is grooming for backup?

Peace,

Howie

He was just traded to Columbus.

Maybe at least Leighton can teach Bryzaster how to make himself bigger in the net as leaky is a pretty big man. That is really Leightons strong point as a goalie.

Leighton is big literally, that's it. He can't hold a post, and is insanely slow at closing the wickets. Huge five hole to shoot through too. It's a strong point in natural size, that exasperates his biggest flaws.

@doom88 "Leighton is big literally, that's it. He can't hold a post, and is insanely slow at closing the wickets. Huge five hole to shoot through too. It's a strong point in natural size, that exasperates his biggest flaws."

Honestly, where have you been all day....LOL! I've had people actually tell me there are ok with this. Brutal, brutal talent evealuation by Homer. This is a HUGE monumental mistake....one Homer will have to pay LARGE to fix!!

@doom88 "Leighton is big literally, that's it. He can't hold a post, and is insanely slow at closing the wickets. Huge five hole to shoot through too. It's a strong point in natural size, that exasperates his biggest flaws."

Honestly, where have you been all day....LOL! I've had people actually tell me there are ok with this. Brutal, brutal talent evealuation by Homer. This is a HUGE monumental mistake....one Homer will have to pay LARGE to fix!!

Me? Getting wasted at the beach, first vacation days of the year, including worked holidays.

On Homer, Leighton won't challenge Bryz, which may help Ilya's psyche. Also, the only bright side, it's just a one year deal for low money. The AHL guys will be under much closer scrutiny this coming season, for the following season backup and potential starter roles in the NHL.

Plus, just because Leighton is signed, doesn't mean he's the backup. He could end up on the Phantoms, just like last year, if the Flyers sign someone else - they still have to resign Backlund, for one thing. Is it likely that they will? No, I don't think so. But they do need goalies on the Phantoms, as well. So Holmgren is going to have other options if Leighton can't win a game.

Leighton I believe will be the back up. The Phantoms have both Hovinen and Heeter signed and neither of which have any NHL experience.