Eklund Saying Leighton to Flyers: "Hearing Done" (E5)

Guest DinahMoeHumm

If I recall correctly, Leighton played very well In 2009-2010 and then got hurt late in the regular season.

As I recall, it seemed to me that the 'team' played better in front of him for some reason or another. And no doubt he stood tall and made most of the stoppable shots, but I saw two different teams depending on who was in net. Hopefully, the team will have the same 'jam,' in his role as a backup and not a hiccup;)

@jammer2 Touche! Eh, I was just playing anyway, you know that. ;-) But hey, look on the bright side, at least Bryz wasn't as leaky as Fleury in this last year's POs. The Philly power play would probably have had the same series total if it was a mere milk crate behind MAF in that series. I sure hope *that* trend doesn't continue!

@DinahMoeHumm Well, at least you know Fleury has done it in the past. He's got a ring, which in my books gives him a pass....I say last years playoffs were an anomoly. Fleury has always been streaky, this time, he just got streaky at the wrong time. I recall at least 5 times in the past few years where Johnson "stole" the job from Fleury for a short time.

@jammer2 Yeah, you're right about that. And I think he was seriously overworked last year. Combine that with becoming a sieve at the wrong time and you have a recipe for disaster. Remember, though, he hasn't looked stellar in the POs since the Cup year. I'm certainly not saying that he's been terrible (save for this year, of course) but he also hasn't "stolen" many like he did in 07-08 and 08-09. Overall though, yeah, I agree with you.

@DinahMoeHumm Gotta remember though, when the Habs beat them, I don't think he was horrible. There was a lot of low scoring games in that series....no? Plus, the Habs were just red hot that playoff, beat the Crapitals also (until, of course, we got a hold of them, or should I say R.J Umberger got ahold of them..lol). It's a bit worrisome he crapped the bed worse than any goalie ever did previously in the playoffs, but his overall body of work gives him a pass....and a short leash, thus the presence of Mr.Vokoun.

haha, well with Leaky as his back-up, maybe we can finally have a season without a goalie controversy. Wouldn't be the Flyers without one but even if he sucks, will fan really be clamoring for Leaky?

Eh, that can't possibly happen, so I'm guessing an AHL guy catches the league by storm and we all want them to get a crack at the big club. Hopefully a Holtby like story (so far).

Unfortunately, our goalies don't have awesome reputation based nicknames like the Dominator or King Henrik...we have the hockey equivalent of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Bryzaster and Leaky. Doesn't that make you scream "I want that guy" for your team?

@DinahMoeHumm Gotta remember though, when the Habs beat them, I don't think he was horrible. There was a lot of low scoring games in that series....no? Plus, the Habs were just red hot that playoff, beat the Crapitals also (until, of course, we got a hold of them, or should I say R.J Umberger got ahold of them..lol). It's a bit worrisome he crapped the bed worse than any goalie ever did previously in the playoffs, but his overall body of work gives him a pass....and a short leash, thus the presence of Mr.Vokoun.

Don't forget Briere. That guy loves to twist the knife every chance he gets.

Regarding Fluery, total fluke of a meltdown. The D didn't have the depth that the Flyers O had, gave up tons of quality chances, and boom goes the dynamite.

Unfortunately, Fleury will be fine. He's always been streaky, with more and longer highs than lows.