Jordan Staal Agrees to 10-Year Extension with Hurricanes

Guest DinahMoeHumm

Nah can't blame him for wanting more ice time. He's a solid #2 center pretty much anywhere but here. I'm glad he's gone though because I don't think he was the defensive gem so many others believe him to be.

I don't think he was the defensive gem so many others believe him to be.

I tend to agree... at least for the last little while. It's almost like once he got a taste of the top two lines and getting some scoring while Sid was out, that changed him. I'm not blaming him, just saying. I'm actually kind of excited to see how well Sutter will fill that role. I don't think it'll be as much as a dropoff as a lot of people think.

I tend to agree... at least for the last little while. It's almost like once he got a taste of the top two lines and getting some scoring while Sid was out, that changed him. I'm not blaming him, just saying. I'm actually kind of excited to see how well Sutter will fill that role. I don't think it'll be as much as a dropoff as a lot of people think.

I think though Sutter won't have the offensive touch, obviously, he'll be better defensively than Staal. That will make the third line not more dangerous, but tougher to play against.

I agree 100% However, thinking about the playoffs last year and the abysmal series with the Flyers, scoring wasn't really our issue. Sure, Staal had some nice goals, but his defensive play lapsed big time from what we were used to with him. I'd venture to say that if we traded a few of those goals for a more solid defensive effort the outcome could have been a little different. I'm not suggesting we would have won the series, but maybe at least been a little more competitive. But like you said "tougher to play against"... sounds like we're both getting at the same thing here.

Yeah agreed. Staal was directly responsible for blown assignments that led to five Flyer goals in the first three games. Maybe with a guy who accepts the role more as a defensive center man would have made a difference. Either way I guess we're all waiting for the Parise & Suter decisions now.

Odd the contract is exactly what the Pens offered him. Obviously the advantage is moving up in the depth chart just odd the numbers are the same.

Playing with your older brother has to hold certain merit too. I would think the third fiddle had become enough for him. Truthfully, I don't blame him, but think that Pittsburgh traded the wrong center.

Yeah agreed. Staal was directly responsible for blown assignments that led to five Flyer goals in the first three games.

Man do you ride him hard!

Game 1- Staal assisted on the Pits 1st goal (to make it 1-1), was on the ice for a PPG by PHI and was on the ice for the EN goal.

He finished the game 1a and even.

Game 2- Staal was on the ice for Pits second goal (to make it 2-2), was then on the ice for a PPG by PHI, was on the ice for a EV goal by Phi, was on the ice for the 5th goal by pits (which made it 5-4 pits at the time), was on the ice for Jagrs goal and then the first EN goal (does not count towards minus).

He finished the game with and 1a and -1.

The goats for me that game were Kunitz (-5) and Malkin (-4).

Game 3- He scores the first goal. Then is on the ice for a Flyers SHG AND PPG. Is on the ice for Phillys second PPG. Scores Pits next goal (EV), on the ice for Phillys last PPG.

He finished the game 2g +1.

That also was the goon game.

Maybe you can blame some of his special teams play, but in those three games, He had 2g, 2a and was even. Considering the Flyers tatooed 20 goals on the PEN in the first three games, that is still pretty darn good. Want me to tell you about Neal, Kunitz and Malkin the first three games??

Man do you ride him hard!

Game 1- Staal assisted on the Pits 1st goal (to make it 1-1), was on the ice for a PPG by PHI and was on the ice for the EN goal.

He finished the game 1a and even.

Game 2- Staal was on the ice for Pits second goal (to make it 2-2), was then on the ice for a PPG by PHI, was on the ice for a EV goal by Phi, was on the ice for the 5th goal by pits (which made it 5-4 pits at the time), was on the ice for Jagrs goal and then the first EN goal (does not count towards minus).

He finished the game with and 1a and -1.

The goats for me that game were Kunitz (-5) and Malkin (-4).

Game 3- He scores the first goal. Then is on the ice for a Flyers SHG AND PPG. Is on the ice for Phillys second PPG. Scores Pits next goal (EV), on the ice for Phillys last PPG.

He finished the game 2g +1.

That also was the goon game.

Maybe you can blame some of his special teams play, but in those three games, He had 2g, 2a and was even. Considering the Flyers tatooed 20 goals on the PEN in the first three games, that is still pretty darn good. Want me to tell you about Neal, Kunitz and Malkin the first three games??

His offensive output was great that series... My problem is he's there in a defensive role and not covering his defensive assignments. That includes special teams. The five goals I refer to we're obviously a mix of special teams roles too, and I mean specifically his man on coverage that he was one stride behind or failed to adequately tue up or stick check. I don't expect perfection, but five in three games? Is he responsible for losing the series?? No... But do you need your "shutdown" center to remember his defensive role? Yes. I like Staal as a player. I like his reach and his scoring touch. He's just overrated defensively. He doesn't give the effort on D so many give him credit for. He'll be great as #2 center in Carolina. He won't be in the shutdown role there. And Sutter will make the Pens tougher to play against if he plays the way he did there.

I see what you're getting at, and in certain respects I'm inclined to agree...

I just think the value return would have been much higher. It would have allowed Jordan to slot into the #2 center, place a quality checking center on your third line (for far less than 6m- say 3M) balance your payroll and obtain some really quality assets to round out the team and continue growing.

As it is now, 8 players (4f, 3d and 1g- 34% of your roster), take up 62% of your cap space. In contrast, the flyers have 11 players (5d, 4f, 1g- 48% of our roster), take up 64% of our cap space. While the Flyers have never been the model for cap management, they are moving towards that- thanks in large part to the trades of last year and moving JVR this year.

I just think the value return would have been much higher. It would have allowed Jordan to slot into the #2 center, place a quality checking center on your third line (for far less than 6m- say 3M) balance your payroll and obtain some really quality assets to round out the team and continue growing.

As it is now, 8 players (4f, 3d and 1g- 34% of your roster), take up 62% of your cap space. In contrast, the flyers have 11 players (5d, 4f, 1g- 48% of our roster), take up 64% of our cap space. While the Flyers have never been the model for cap management, they are moving towards that- thanks in large part to the trades of last year and moving JVR this year.

I think your Flyers are just at a different point in talent development. Yes you have good cap space but a lot of your talent is young and on low salary contract time. As they become RFA's and UFA's that will change. Fleury and Letang are Pens developed players, as was Staal. I think they got rid if the wrong D man (Michalek as opposed Martin) but they're making good moves with a locked up core of talent and mostly replaceable components around them. Couple more years your boys will be in the same position if they hold on to the youth movement like we did.