WIP Just Confirmed...

Guest Mad Dog

OK, WIP just confirmed that the Flyers indeed offered both Parise *and* Suter signing contracts. For those out of town, WIP is a local sports radio show.

So this is not coming from Eklund or some other BS source. This is official. They will not report somehting that has not been confirmed.

Wow....... Is all I can say....... Seat tight folks. Something might happen very soon they say.

@Mad Dog If nothing else, you can't say Homer does not make things exciting. Gotta wonder, these long term deals, cap management by the seat of your pants?? This proves he can have no long term plan in mind....just floating along ready to strike.

Edit, not complaining about the elite talent potentially coming our way, just would like to see a long term plan in play here at some point...are we building through the draft...all in right now....??

Edited by jammer2

I would expect that it would. The big name guys typically sign fast - It wasn't unheard of to see the most sought-after free agents signing within minutes back when it opened at midnight. If they wait too long, the lower tier guys get signed by teams that figure they're out of the running, driving the top tier guys' prices down.

I honestly wouldn't have made an offer to Suter. Go hard after Parise, and try to bring back Carle. Svae some monet for when Weber hits the market next year.

Of course, the flip side to that is, if they land Suter, it has to be a plus if they can shave money to bring in Weber, as well.

@jammer2

And Snider may be behind this again. I have hard time beleiving these kind of signings would be without Snider's at least autharizing them. But I won't be shocked if it turns out he actually ordered those...... in which case it's Snider not having a long-term plan. He wants Cup and he wants it bad. For once, I cannot blame him. The hell with a long-term plan. When you go down in flames like the Flyers did in teh second round and have your arse handed to you the year before by Boston, you have to act.

@Mad Dog Ya know what MD....with how aggressive Homer is, all in might not be so bad, he can always trade other guys and go young....seems to be able to do both quite easily....the one thing, this would really, really be all in, cause the long term cap implacicatins...AND the NMC's that will surely follow will forever handcuff us.

@Lunatic - Not necessarily. If the 12 year, 80 million offers are to be believed for Parise, that's 6.6 against the cap. Suter should bring less. Not much, but a top flight forward will make more than a D-man in most cases. Flyers are currently 10.5 under the cap. Add in Pronger's LTIR at the start of the season, and you're at 15.4. Jake needs a new contract, figure around 3 - so 12.4 million. It might be just enough.

Edited by AJgoal

OK, WIP just confirmed that the Flyers indeed offered both Parise *and* Suter signing contracts. For those out of town, WIP is a local sports radio show.

So this is not coming from Eklund or some other BS source. This is official. They will not report somehting that has not been confirmed.

Wow....... Is all I can say....... Seat tight folks. Something might happen very soon they say.

I dunno. It sounds skeptical. WIP's cred is a shade above Eklund - which isn't saying much. I find it hard to believe we'd offer contracts totalling $15 to $20 million per year when we have about $10 million in cap space not counting Voracek and Pronger once the season starts.

Maybe this is Snider floating details to drive up the price but I'd shocked if we offered BOTH of these guys long term deals like what's been reported.

OK, here is the latest.

Both are not making a decision until tommorrow at latest.

Kinda crappy attitude if you ask me. Puts the team that made an offer in the bind. What if they decide NOT to sign tomorrow and many other UFAs are already signed somewhere else? They could be a bit more considerate, in all honesty.

What this also tells me is that they both are clearly giving it second thoughts and are not as ready to come here as you would think they would be...

It's also possible that the Flyers don't feel they have a shot at either, and are trying to drive up the price. While I don't want to see either on the Pens or the Rangers, 12 years / 80 million would hamstring either of those clubs, as well.

I don't think there's much danger of that - their value won't diminish much unless days/weeks go by and every 2nd-tier player is signed before they get their new deals.

Parise is the best forward available, Suter is the best D-man. They may each take a hit on their perceived value but it won't be severe. Both those guys will get around $7 mil a season and they'll both (imho) be overpaid when they do.

OK, here is the latest.

Both are not making a decision until tommorrow at latest.

Kinda crappy attitude if you ask me. Puts the team that made an offer in the bind. What if they decide NOT to sign tomorrow and many other UFAs are already signed somewhere else? They could be a bit more considerate, in all honesty.

What this also tells me is that they both are clearly giving it second thoughts and are not as ready to come here as you would think they would be...

TSN confirms that. Talk that Jagr is being sought after by Montreal.

@jammer2

And Snider may be behind this again. I have hard time beleiving these kind of signings would be without Snider's at least autharizing them. But I won't be shocked if it turns out he actually ordered those...... in which case it's Snider not having a long-term plan. He wants Cup and he wants it bad. For once, I cannot blame him. The hell with a long-term plan. When you go down in flames like the Flyers did in teh second round and have your arse handed to you the year before by Boston, you have to act.

Parise is almost certain not to sign with Philly for the same reason he wouldn't sign with the Rangers, so there is another potential motive for offering him a contract: drive up his price. Same with Nash, same with Ryan. Part of the game for a GM.

• Like 1

Parise is almost certain not to sign with Philly for the same reason he wouldn't sign with the Rangers, so there is another potential motive for offering him a contract: drive up his price. Same with Nash, same with Ryan. Part of the game for a GM.

I'm curious as to what the "repercussions" might be for a player (and agent) that was offered a significant contract but decided to take much less to play elsewhere, home team discount notwithstanding. Generally players' associations encourage their players to drive up the prices, to help their "brothers" out. That goes against the spirit of free agency, where a player gets to play where he wants to play (assuming the suitor club's interest is mutual) but seems to be par for the course.

Jagr did it last year and I love that the Pens fans got all panty twisted about it.

Actually it won't. You're talking 6.5 a year and both teams have that readily available. I'm curious about the bonus money everyone is talking though. Sounds like ridiculous numbers.

Well, if nothing else, Philly/Comcast has money.

I'm curious about the bonus money everyone is talking though. Sounds like ridiculous numbers.

NHL network panelist said Parise was looking for an immediate bonus of $12mil, with another $12 mil payout next July 1. Supposedly now Suter making a similar demand. NHLPA fingerprints are all over that one, I've never heard of that in the NHL. You'll see bonus demands in the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed, and that makes sense since that bonus money is the only thing they're assured if getting - tear an ACL and your contract and career could be done, ask a few former Eagles....

But in the NHL, where contracts are pretty much guaranteed, this smacks of a whole new level of greed. It also goes against what the salary cap is supposed to do, because smaller market teams can't match that upfront cash.

@sarsippius I don't get this bonus stuff, I could swear there was a CBA clause that did not allow bounues...all money must count against the cap from my understanding. Just a guess, but once one of these is signed, we will see the NHL say no go...I think it's against the rules.

But in the NHL, where contracts are pretty much guaranteed, this smacks of a whole new level of greed. It also goes against what the salary cap is supposed to do, because smaller market teams can't match that upfront cash.

Whatever it is, it has to get averaged out over the contract term and become part of the cap hit. This doesn't change because it gets called a "bonus". I believe the only solution is to front load the contract. Also, the NHL laid down a marker with the Kovalchuk contract a couple years back. They will disallow a contract they believe is structured to circumvent the cap.