WIP Just Confirmed...

Guest Mad Dog

Whatever it is, it has to get averaged out over the contract term and become part of the cap hit. This doesn't change because it gets called a "bonus". I believe the only solution is to front load the contract. Also, the NHL laid down a marker with the Kovalchuk contract a couple years back. They will disallow a contract they believe is structured to circumvent the cap.

True, but Kovy signed for something like 17 years which would have taken him out until the age of 45 or so.....plus those last few years of the deal were peanuts, that deal made a complete mockery of the system. But you're right, the NHL did set a marker when they cut the deal down (10 years was it ?), and that sets the new boundary that GMs are going bump up against as closely as possible

Bonuses are okay, and count against the cap as normal. They are averaged out just like a front loaded salary.

Not sure why the bonuses matter, especially because NHL contracts are currently guaranteed, but it does make moving the contracts later term easier (lower salary than cap hit).

I wonder if the NHLPA is concerned about another salary rollback? Bonuses are exempt from that, naturally. Rolling back a smaller salary is less money lost too. Could also be number play by the NHLPA saying that the average salary is lower than X, while still getting people paid.

I honestly wouldn't have made an offer to Suter. Go hard after Parise, and try to bring back Carle. Svae some monet for when Weber hits the market next year.

Of course, the flip side to that is, if they land Suter, it has to be a plus if they can shave money to bring in Weber, as well.

Kimmo's contract ending would free up a bit of space to put towards Weber.

Kimmo's contract ending would free up a bit of space to put towards Weber.

That is assuming that Weber will even want to come here. As we are witnessing so far, just because the player hits a free market doesn't automatically mean the Flyers can sign him.

Bonuses are okay, and count against the cap as normal. They are averaged out just like a front loaded salary.

Not sure why the bonuses matter, especially because NHL contracts are currently guaranteed, but it does make moving the contracts later term easier (lower salary than cap hit).

I wonder if the NHLPA is concerned about another salary rollback? Bonuses are exempt from that, naturally. Rolling back a smaller salary is less money lost too. Could also be number play by the NHLPA saying that the average salary is lower than X, while still getting people paid.

NHLPA is definitely worried about a lockout. That's why Parise was looking for $12M up front (and another $12M next year).

For Parise, it also limits the teams interested to those who could afford that payment and, theoretically, the ability to acquire additional support.

Bonuses are averaged in to the cap hit, but they have typically been applied when awarded to the next year's cap. This year is different because there is, at the moment, no CBA next year so all bonuses (as I undestand it) are carried against this year's cap number.

OK, WIP just confirmed that the Flyers indeed offered both Parise *and* Suter signing contracts. For those out of town, WIP is a local sports radio show.

So this is not coming from Eklund or some other BS source. This is official. They will not report somehting that has not been confirmed.

Wow....... Is all I can say....... Seat tight folks. Something might happen very soon they say.

Why bother when Bryz and Leighton are your goalies...

The sequel to Moneyball is Moneypuck.....

This just seems like a bad move. Top flight talent is great, but we are already anchored with two terrible contracts. What happens when Giroux needs to get paid? Or Couturier?

• Like 1

NHLPA is definitely worried about a lockout. That's why Parise was looking for $12M up front (and another $12M next year). For Parise, it also limits the teams interested to those who could afford that payment and, theoretically, the ability to acquire additional support. Bonuses are averaged in to the cap hit, but they have typically been applied when awarded to the next year's cap. This year is different because there is, at the moment, no CBA next year so all bonuses (as I undestand it) are carried against this year's cap number.

I'd have to check, but I think signing bonuses are averaged into the whole contract, not just the year they are paid out - even in a bonuses-count year. I think just the performance bonuses are accounted for.

---

Now that I think a little more about it, I wonder if the bonuses rule in the last year of a CBA thing is to artificially lower salaries due to teams having less money to theoretically spend.

I'd have to check, but I think signing bonuses are averaged into the whole contract, not just the year they are paid out - even in a bonuses-count year. I think just the performance bonuses are accounted for.

Using Stamkos as a reference last season and this coming based on nhlnumbers and capgeek websites, only maximum performance bonuses are incorporated into the CBA year cap hits. Not signing bonuses. Interesting.

Reference:

TB 2011-2012 Cap Hit (Totals section is most interesting here, Stamkos with $0 bonus adjustment)

http://www.capgeek.com/archive/team.php?team_id=28&year_id=2011

Stamkos

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=885

Off topic: I thought I was the only one who remembered that show!

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Fantastic show for a drinking game to go along, if you're not just watching it. I've enjoyed both, and have the DVDs.

Off topic: I thought I was the only one who remembered that show!

I am going to lose all credibility saying this, but is Leighton really that bad? He lets in soft goals...yes...but who doesn't on Philadelphia? He only broke my heart letting in Kane's ****** overtime goal....where was I again? ;)

Edited by TimKerrFan12

@TimKerrFan12

When you have someone as delicate as Bryz in net the backup role becomes that much more important. If Bryz implodes at some point or is lost to injury this season do you honestly think Leighton can step in and assume the starting job successfully? Keep in mind every team in the NHL passed on him when he was on waivers. My opinion aside what does that say about the league's opinion of Leighton's abilities?

• Like 1

@Hexy27 Yes ALL the other GM's did not deem him worthy of a free AHL back up spot, didn't want Leigts for free...so I guess Homer knows something ALL the other GM's don't huh? Either that or he does not hold goaltending in high regard (mistake) or he is smarter than everyone else and Leighton is NHL worthy (doubt it).

• Like 1