Red Wings Pick Up Samuelsson and Tootoo

Guest WingNut722

In addition to Jonas Gustavsson, the Red Wings picked up forwards Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo as free agency opened yesterday afternoon. I haven't figured out how I feel about this yet (except I totally agree with signing Gustavsson). Samuelsson played with the Wings before, but he was hot and cold at times. I feel he played better in Vancouver than he did in Detroit. Signing Jordin Tootoo though is completely out of left field. Tootoo has spend his entire career with Nashville, and picked up 30 points last season. He's a gritty third liner, which is something Detroit needs, but nobody saw it coming.

At first, these signings appear a bit oddball which made me wonder if the Wings were simply putting together a nice package to trade for Rick Nash, but since these are multi-year contracts, it looks like they're here to stay.

One goaltender and two forwards... It appears that Ken Holland feels Zach Parise will not be wearing the Winged Wheel, either because Parise will stay in New Jersey as he has alluded to, or some other team will make a better pitch. Either way, the Powers That Be aren't putting much stock in it. Although, no defense signings suggest a fair potential to pick up Ryan Suter. We should know in the next few days..

we are not in the Parise sweepstakes now, odviously, so we better get Suter.Samuelson is better than hudler, tootoo at this point is better than homer, the monster is better than Conklin so the boys are going the right way.

I dont see the wings getting Nash, but suddenly his contract doesnt look so bad. The more Parise demands the better Nash will look to some team. I read somewhere Franzen and Brendan Smith for Nash was being considered by both sides, I hope not, we are dangerously thin on the blue line and Smith is gonna be a 20 minute plus d-man with offense and a bit of snarl in his game.

@yave1964 I don't know where you heard that, but I doubt there's any truth in it. Franzen would not be traded after only one lousy season. He's too good a player and the contract is just too big.

The problem is that Homer hasn't said anything about his plans. At this point in previous seasons, Niklas Lidstrom had announced his plans, Brian Rafalski announced his retirement, and Kris Draper and Chris Osgood were not offered contracts. So it appears that Homer has been offered a spot by Ken Holland, but he's dragging his feet in deciding. Look for Homer to be in front of the net next season...