The case for Carlo Colaiacovo

Guest jammer2

This guy is a diamond in the rough IMHO. Really physical, hard nosed guy (almost 30) who has not realized his potential due to injuries (really, a result of his physiciality) and being stuck on bad teams, namely Toronto and the Blues (before they turned it around under Hitch). He has shown excellent offensive instincts, would be a perfect fit for our 2nd pp unit, or really nice insurance for the 1st unit. Has a nice accurate shot and is a good skater. Would come fairly reasonable.

career stats....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=50119

• Like 1

@jammer2

I don't know much about him, so Jammer, I defer to you. Wouldn't be a bad Plan B (or so it sounds) if Suter decides not to come here. Any idea what kind of money he is looking for?

Let me ask you this: would you prefer this guy over Carle?

Edited by Mad Dog

I've always been a believer in Colaiacovo. I had the privilege of seeing a lot of him while he was with the Erie Otters. Part of me would be saddened to see him go to Philly (for obvious reasons) but I have to admit the chances are good that it'd be a good fit for him and he could excel there.

@Mad Dog Would I prefer Carlo over Carle? Different players, but I'd say Carle is much more reliable, better at what he does. Carlo is way more physical, so that adds strength to a weak spot on the Flyers. His overall skill set is compareable to Carle, Carle produces a bit more, but is healthy (usually). I think Carle is more of a finished product, where Carlo has more upside. CC is a left handed shot, so that is not really needed.

It's my theory that CC's point total on the Flyers would take off. Simply put, our second pp and second line etc are superior to the same Leaf and Blue units. Surrounded by more highly skilled forwards = more pts in my books. I love the guys work ethic, always tenacious on the puck. His points dipped to 19 last year, so I suspect along with the health problems that made him expendable in the eyes of the Blues....plus the Blues have d prospects that are knocking at the door, so cheaper options are out there for them....and they are a pretty cheap team historically (due in part to the small market). He has reached the mid thirties in point totals without having a full year in. I suppose he could score 40+ pts if he stayed healthy and factoring in the Flyers skill at forward. He's never had the luxury of playing with elite guys before.

At this stage of free agency, if there is a guy out there that can even possibly score 40 pts from the back end, you look into it, it's just smart GM'ing. In this case, the previous mid 30's say he can indeeed reach that plateau. The fact he is injury prone might work in our favour, we are taking a risk instead of picking a guy with a good health record. This = lower cap hit in my estimation.

This year is very weak free agency class. No way guy like Suter to deserve this money rumored. I am to go with reliable 4-5 defenceman, even Carle or Carlo and wait for next year. Weber, Perry or a Getzlaf are much better than Suter and Parise. 12 years and 100 millions is way too much for those players.

• Like 4

Coliacovo has to be one of the most jinxed pro athletes ever as far as injuries go. If he could stay healthy, he could be good. He just can't seem to catch a break that way.

Tim Connolly? In fact, he was an Erie Otter, too. Hey, wait a minute! :huh:

Guys, I know it's not all about points. I get that, I'm just using a cross comparision in this case.

Checking out the points per game stats of players (specifically d-men) involved in free agency this season. After all, these guys, Carle and Carlo, they are thought of as second tier offensive d-men who run the 2nd pp.

1)Carlo C. career pt average 0.37 asking price 2-3 mill??? not sure here

2)Matt Carle career pt average 0.42 asking price 5-7 mill

3)Ryan Suter career pt average 0.43 asking price 6-7 mill

4)Sami Salo career pt average 0.33 signed for 3.75 mill

If anything, Suter and Salo look worse under this particular microscope because they run the top pp units. But just in terms of pure offense, Carle's extra 0.05 pts per game over Carlo does not look like a nice bang for your buck, offensively speaking alone, of course.

@jammer2

I'm still relishing not having to remember how to spell Van Riemsdick; I'm not at all prepared to start learning Caulibrocalo or whatever the hell his name is.

Plus he seems cursed. Like as if he was a Flyer goalie or something. Cursed I tell you.

Otherwise, I like his game.

@Podein25 Can we just split the difference and call him C.C.?? ha ha.

Well, he would address our defense depth without a serious cap hit. Plus, physical, we need that. Even if he gets hurt for long term, we have ways to deal with it and save the money. Imagine, just this once he plays a full year and rips off 45 pts or so...this is what makes it worth the gamble. As long as he is healthy come April, I'm all for it...lol.

Just an FYI for anyone reading...lol, I posted this *before* reading Metzler's latest blog which suggested Carlo as a decent option. Just don't want to look like I'm stealing ideas or anything like that, or can't form my own opinions.

Edited by jammer2

@ Just by adding Carlo and Doan we'd be 20% tougher....plus Schenn added already. We would certainly be tougher to play against, plus the meek JVR and Carle gone. Honestly, I don't want to say Carlo is a beast or anything, because he's not, hes a smaller big hitter, but I do remember him lifting fans right out of their seats with hits...kid lives to hit and play hard.

@ Just by adding Carlo and Doan we'd be 20% tougher....plus Schenn added already. We would certainly be tougher to play against, plus the meek JVR and Carle gone. Honestly, I don't want to say Carlo is a beast or anything, because he's not, hes a smaller big hitter, but I do remember him lifting fans right out of their seats with hits...kid lives to hit and play hard.

With he and Schenn it would add some toughness as well. I like the idea of Doan and Coliacovo.

• Like 1

Nobody is mentioning Bryce Salvador. He was very important in the Devils' reaching the finals. I think when it comes to toughness, he is right there.

edit: Sorry Jammer, for hijacking your thread... But I would be curious to hear what people think......

Edited by Mad Dog

@Mad Dog That's ok MD, I don't mind other names being tossed about. You're right, Bryce is out there, reliable steady defensvie d-man....AND we know what to expect come playoff time, steady unspectacular play. Sometimes it good when d-men don't get noticed, that is the case with Bryce. Guessing he's 1.6 - 2.2 tops. Very reasonable cap hit.

This guy is a diamond in the rough IMHO. Really physical, hard nosed guy (almost 30) who has not realized his potential due to injuries (really, a result of his physiciality) and being stuck on bad teams, namely Toronto and the Blues (before they turned it around under Hitch). He has shown excellent offensive instincts, would be a perfect fit for our 2nd pp unit, or really nice insurance for the 1st unit. Has a nice accurate shot and is a good skater. Would come fairly reasonable.

career stats....

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=50119

I thought he was the old guitarist from Quiet Riot!

Nobody is mentioning Bryce Salvador. He was very important in the Devils' reaching the finals. I think when it comes to toughness, he is right there.

edit: Sorry Jammer, for hijacking your thread... But I would be curious to hear what people think......

Salvadore has re-signed with NJ: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399834