Bryz

Guest Phlyer1

The first goal was definitely soft. Should have had it, but whatever, those things happen.

The second goal, well, as I was discussing with @canoli, I just wish Bryz had more 'urgency' to his game... as in, if he fights to see that puck and follow the play, maybe he stops it.

He seems overly casual in the way he plays the puck, and in goal. I always felt Price was like that too, and I don't think many people would say it's a 'problem', so maybe I'm making too much of it. But it makes me nervous as hell!

I gotta wonder if that lack of urgency might have something to do with his less than stellar playoffs.

He seems overly casual in the way he plays the puck, and in goal. I always felt Price was like that too, and I don't think many people would say it's a 'problem', so maybe I'm making too much of it. But it makes me nervous as hell!

I think Bryzgalov is very aware that he becomes casual during games when his team has a lead and when he goes through periods of time with few shots on net. He himself said that that is an issue for him. Hopefully some of these late goals that he lets in early in this season will help him focus better as the season wears on.

I find it hard to put it all on Bryz tonight. I thought he was pretty good. That first goal was fast. It was a really quick shot. But Pronger should have been able to keep Dandanov, or whatever, from getting around him. That shouldn't have been a shot in the first place. The second goal was a mad scramble. Again, the way I saw it, Pronger was in front of the shooter and went down - kinda did the splits. At best, maybe both Bryz and Pronger were responsible on that one.

I find it hard to put it all on Bryz tonight. I thought he was pretty good. That first goal was fast. It was a really quick shot. But Pronger should have been able to keep Dandanov, or whatever, from getting around him.

ideally, yeah, but pronger did his job, he forced the forward wide and didn't allow a quality shot. a shot from that kind of angle should not go in. bryzgalov was cheating and should absolutely have had that one.

that said, he looked strong the rest of that game.

He seems overly casual in the way he plays the puck

I don't get it either. In the beginning I used to say "wow, look how cool calm and collect Bryz is" now I find myself saying "move damnit!"

He had a strong game tonight and has been looking much better than the start of the season where he had that rough patch

ideally, yeah, but pronger did his job, he forced the forward wide and didn't allow a quality shot. a shot from that kind of angle should not go in. bryzgalov was cheating and should absolutely have had that one.

that said, he looked strong the rest of that game.

I agree with you, Aziz, on pretty much every point - a shot from that angle shouldn't go in, he was being forced wide so Pronger was doing his job (but I'd argue not well enough), and that Bryz was cheating. I'd differ with you on that shot, too. It sure looked like a really good one to me, especially considering he was being forced wide at the time. He didn't have much to shoot at and it was a quick, nifty wrister. I liked it.

oh, yeah, he got the shot off well, no question. a goalie who isn't cheating, though, who is square to the shooter in that position, should be able to close his eyes and make the save. from that flat an angle, there shouldn't be anything to shoot at. bryzgalov was leaning to his right and let it sneak in shortside.

He seems overly casual in the way he plays the puck, and in goal

I feel this way also. However, maybe it's because we are used to ML, Bouch or other scrambling in the net. He plays a calm style which we aren't very used to as Flyers fans...?

shot from that angle shouldn't go in, he was being forced wide so Pronger was doing his job

I agree. Pronger did what he needed to do. There really was no angle to shoot at. The only thing you could say there was if Pronger was faster he could have forced him wider.....but that's neither here nor there.

I started this topic and after reading the replies I feel I am being too tough on the guy. Main reason like some pointed out he plays well and when he lets one in it is like he is too good to let that happen.

Panthers have been playing as well as the Flyers going in last night. Same records up till last night so it was not an easy game by any means.

@Phlyer1 With the length of the contract and how much he gets a year, it's not to crazy to think those should be stopped.

Honestly, through the first month or so of the season, I'm still trying to figure out if the Flyers have upgraded skill in net as much as they invested in salary.

Right now I'd have to say no.

Well, the thing with Bryz is - he ain't going no where. I like Bryz. I'm still not sure about the deal. It's not Shellyrific, but it's not Vokoun at $1.25M, either.

I don't think we can properly evaluate the signing of a nine-year deal in 12 starts and 13 appearances with a totally-revamped forward corps and a defense that's been, shall we say, a bit shaky at times? Not to mention missing Pronger for a few games.

I like the calmness of Bryzgalov in net. He doesn't have the flailing, flippy-floppy, skates-on-fire approach that we're used to around here. I think it helps the team and I know it makes me feel better.

Does he give up some bad goals? Does he have bad games? Everybody does. Everybody.

You just hope more of them are in September/October/November than March/April/May.

oh, yeah, he got the shot off well, no question. a goalie who isn't cheating, though, who is square to the shooter in that position, should be able to close his eyes and make the save. from that flat an angle, there shouldn't be anything to shoot at. bryzgalov was leaning to his right and let it sneak in shortside.

I wanted to give him a mulligan on that one because it did look as if pronger got a stick on it, which may have created a deflection of sorts... Or an unpredictable velocity change.

But, you're right, he was cheating it and if he were in position, he should have easily had it.

@Phlyer1 With the length of the contract and how much he gets a year, it's not to crazy to think those should be stopped.

Honestly, through the first month or so of the season, I'm still trying to figure out if the Flyers have upgraded skill in net as much as they invested in salary.

Right now I'd have to say no.

Off topic I am enjoying this forum and want to compliment you on it. No smack and no name calling is a relief. Keep up the good work and better yet let's hope the Flyers can keep it up.

Ok, ok, looks like I may be on the losing side of this argument that the responsibility for that first goal was more on Pronger (who by no means am I ragging on. I mean I love the guy and the way he plays but sometimes you have nights where you're just a step slow) than it was on Bryz....lol. I can see how they both may have contributed.....ha! I still think it was a sweet shot, especially from that impossible angle. I won't beat this dead horse any more. Hehe!!

Overall, I'm just glad they came out with the win. Like Phlyer said, both had the same records going in and it wasn't an easy game. It was a decent test. Especially coming off of a three day break.

I like the calmness of Bryzgalov in net. He doesn't have the flailing, flippy-floppy, skates-on-fire approach that we're used to around here. I think it helps the team and I know it makes me feel better.

Does he give up some bad goals? Does he have bad games? Everybody does. Everybody.

You just hope more of them are in September/October/November than March/April/May.

i kind of mostly agree here but with this twist,

I think he's confident in his positioning and that keeps him quieter in the crease. and when his confidence is bad or his positioning is bad we see quotes like "i am lost in the woods" i don't see him battling during those scrums though, maybe it has something to do with his size, along the lines of once he's down that's a lot of gear to pick up.

i kind of mostly agree here but with this twist,

I think he's confident in his positioning and that keeps him quieter in the crease. and when his confidence is bad or his positioning is bad we see quotes like "i am lost in the woods" i don't see him battling during those scrums though, maybe it has something to do with his size, along the lines of once he's down that's a lot of gear to pick up.

I think that that confidence gives the team more confidence. They don't see a guy frequently out of position trying to leap across an open net trying to make a mid-air stick save.

Ah, memories...

I like Bryz's size as well. It doesn't seem to me that he feels the need to drop into a butterfly at the drop of a hat and takes up some nice area when he does.

The odd goal flinging off the tip of a defenseman's stick or backside is one thing. But that's been happening an awful lot. Just spitballing here, but could the D be trying to do "too much" - are they conditioned by the less-than-marquee goaltending we've had around here to try to do too much, possibly creating the defelction that gets by the goalie who's in position to make the original stop?

That happens "all the time" as well - it's just happened an awful lot in these first dozen games.

The only terribly *bizarre* thing to me about the whole Bryz thing is that they're putting what's likely to be Ed Snider's final Cup shot (nine-year contract) on, of all things, a Russian goalie. Two of them, no less.

Well, you knew they weren't going Czech again...