Just Say No to Parise and Suter

Guest canoli

enough is enough - obviously they're both going for the big salary-score - and while I don't blame them, for the Flyers these FA signings never work out. I'd welcome any factual reminders; right now all I can think of is Pronger and Bryzgalov. Briere I guess - he was a "Big FA" signing that worked out well - all in all. But he's been the exception.

anyway...do we really need more $7-mil dollar players? Except for the goaltender, don't we have the makings of a damn fine team already? I'm sick of going after the "Missing Piece" every frikkn summer...enough is enough.

Homer should've spent all his creative energy trying to get out from under Bryzgalov....That would've made my summer.

• Like 3

If you are in the game only for the money you will never be a team player. I understand they are entitled to make as much moneya as they can but they also have to indicate some loyalty. I guess that is a kind of oxymoron loyalty and free agency.

If you are in the game only for the money you will never be a team player. I understand they are entitled to make as much moneya as they can but they also have to indicate some loyalty. I guess that is a kind of oxymoron loyalty and free agency.

Why should a potential employee choose to be paid less with other outstanding factors similar? It's not like the owners hand out bonus bucks or free housing. Free agency is a players chance to secure their future lifestyle in one shot. Good for them, I wish I had the opportunity myself.

Loyalty really did a lot of good for Borque, Gagne, Ryan Smith, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Sundin, etc in different ways.

• Like 1

@canoli

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but the problem for the Flyers is, they need to improve the roster if they have hopes to do better next year than they did the past season. And I just don't see may options for them right now. So far, by removing Jagr, JVR and Carle, they weakened the roster that was already fairly suspect, as the playoffs showed. Luke Schenn has plenty to prove and frankly, I just don't expect anything amazing from him. And God forbid if even one of our regular d-men goes down, we just don't have enough depth as of right now, to compensate for that loss. I am not sure what Timonen has left in him. Meszaros is coming back after a long absense and a serious injury. And Coburn is just not your prototypical 1st pairing d-man. I think Gus and Bourdon will make the roster, but do you really have trust in this group of d-men?

There is no doubt Suter is going to get overpaid and by a large margin. He is going to get paid probably twice as much as he actually deserves. But I just can't see the Flyers surviving even lalf-way through the season with this defense and this goaltending.

As for Parise....... honestly.......... why not? What exactly is your objection to the Flyers signing him? Money and long-term commitment tying up the cap space? OK, sure. But what are the options? Homer did something really stupid by trading Bob basically for nothing and trading JVR for what I personally feel is way lower than what he could've gotten for him. So now his hands are tied because he cannot improve the roster through a trade. He can only realistically do it through free agency.

There is another option and it's a simple one and that is to to roll the dice and see what happens as the season progresses. But honestly, I don't like this roster the way it is now.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

**** em. I'm already on record saying let's go with what we have. This prima donna crap certainly hasn't changed my mind. Parise has a news conference to announce.....nothing, he needs more time. Why go to the press with that? I'll tell you why - to turn up the heat and solicit an even more outrageous offer. Hey look at me, I haven't made a decision yet! **** you jerk off

The upside to the Flyers signing that d-bag is that it would keep him out of Putzburgh....and frankly that's Steinbrenner logic

Edited by sarsippius

Id rather make a push for shane doan. I hear he'd be happy with 4mil for 4 yrs. than go all in on weber next year and i mean ALL IN

Where is the guarantee that Shea Weber will want to sign here? As we can see, those guys who know they are worth something, have a tendency to pick and choose.

And God bless 'em for it. They have a great talent and for some only a few years to make it big. If all these teams are offering big $$ for them and they can choose where they go, I don't blame them for not rushing in. I only wish I could be in the same position sometimes. Sure it makes it tough on teams waiting to hear, but those teams know the risks going into it.

Why should a potential employee choose to be paid less with other outstanding factors similar? It's not like the owners hand out bonus bucks or free housing. Free agency is a players chance to secure their future lifestyle in one shot. Good for them, I wish I had the opportunity myself.

Loyalty really did a lot of good for Borque, Gagne, Ryan Smith, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Sundin, etc in different ways.

I agree. I don't think it's a big deal that they want to take an extra day or two to decide. If it's all about the money, they would have decided by now.

The extra time - i/m/h/o - tell's me that Parise's heart may be in NJ and/or Minny but his head is telling him to take a little less for a better chance to win.

Where is the guarantee that Shea Weber will want to sign here? As we can see, those guys who know they are worth something, have a tendency to pick and choose.

there isn't any guarantee of anything , ever. but he'd be the guy to overpay and wait around for, i don't know if i think suter is worth what he'll make.

His fing around is really ticking me off, Carle won't sign until he signs suter is going to sign this monster deal and then Carle will sign a jr monster deal, suter is fing us and our salary cap but good regardless of where he signs, if we do get him, he better be the second coming of Bobby Fing Orr.

Sadly enough, this could come down to a woman...lol. I read Praise is going back home to discuss this with his fiance. That explains things....you *kinda* have to kiss a s s before making a decision like this, espcially when she has no ring on her finger. Is his fiance from Minnesota....is she ok with moving...does she have a sick parent or younger sibling with special needs....these are things we could be looking at now....just totally guessing, obviously.

Sadly enough, this could come down to a woman...lol. I read Praise is going back home to discuss this with his fiance. That explains things....you *kinda* have to kiss a s s before making a decision like this, espcially when she has no ring on her finger. Is his fiance from Minnesota....is she ok with moving...does she have a sick parent or younger sibling with special needs....these are things we could be looking at now....just totally guessing, obviously.

I was thinking to myself that I hope his fiancee was from NJ, because couldn't Parise basically stay living where is now, but play in Philadelphia. Please forgive me for my ignorance with the geography. lol.

for the Flyers these FA signings never work out. I'd welcome any factual reminders; right now all I can think of is Pronger

Pronger wasn't a free agent, he cost the Flyers FOUR first round picks. Granted, he helped get the Flyers close that one year, but his contract and the lack of those players/picks have been a burden ever since.

I was thinking to myself that I hope his fiancee was from NJ, because couldn't Parise basically stay living where is now, but play in Philadelphia. Please forgive me for my ignorance with the geography. lol.

Nah man you're pretty close, hour and a half from Newark to Philly, not sure where he lives but its doable

• Like 1

Pronger wasn't a free agent, he cost the Flyers FOUR first round picks. Granted, he helped get the Flyers close that one year, but his contract and the lack of those players/picks have been a burden ever since.

Actually it was Lupul, Sbisa, two firsts and a third....but point taken

And it's not even that Pronger didn't work out per se. When he did play, he played great.... he turned out excatly what we needed at the time: a big, steady, relenless d-man and good leader. How quickly people forget. A concussion is a terrible thing, but you can't possibly know that when you sign a player. The Flyers felt it was the right time and opportunity to go all in and they went for it. I actually applaud them for that. You have to be risky and take chances sometimes if you have *any* hope to reach high goals. Would it be better if the Flyers did nothing? Where is Sbisa now? What has he accomplished? That's right - NOTHING. Not a thing.

I actually like the fact that my team is aggressive in pursuing the best talent available. Roenick, Hatcher, Forsberg... those were well justified signings. You can't judge the success of a signing simply by the fact that we didn't win the ultimate price. OK, we didn't win the Cup, but those guys gave us the best chance to win. Sport is not much different from real life. If you do nothing, most likely you will accomlish nothing.

@Mad Dog "Where is Sbisa now? What has he accomplished? That's right - NOTHING. Not a thing."

Have to disagree there MD. He had a respectable 24 pts last year AND was 15 among NHL defensemen with 186 hits and 36th in hits overall. Pretty decent numbers...and the guy skates like the wind. He's not setting the world on fire, but nothing is pretty strong.

Have to disagree there MD. He had a respectable 24 pts last year AND was 15 among NHL defensemen with 186 hits and 36th in hits overall. Pretty decent numbers...and the guy skates like the wind. He's not setting the world on fire, but nothing is pretty strong.

OK, but I can guarantee if we won the Cup since we got Pronger, Sbisa would not even be remembered. Those 24 points he had last season would mean absolutely zero. And that's my point. The Flyers felt they could do it even with Emery in net......... who, by the way, played better than Bryzgalov.

If the Flyers beat Chicago in the Finals with Pronger, everybody would be saying how good and timely that signing was. But since we didn't win, well, people can say that the signing didn't work out.

• Like 1

the problem for the Flyers is, they need to improve the roster if they have hopes to do better next year than they did the past season.

See to me that's debatable. I think the roster is real good already with only 1 obvious hole. You don't think those guys will automatically get better just by practicing and playing together more? They will. I'd like to see what they can do next year (just like I wanted to see Bob get a true sophomore year), with Giroux another year older and wiser...Hartnell coming off his best season...Jake and the confidence he showed as the year went on... there's a lot to like about the Flyers. And I didn't even mention all the outstanding rookies we have.

who knows, maybe Parise with his strong leadership type personality is exactly what this team doesn't need right now?

and Suter? Suter is over-rated soon to be overpaid. Good for him. I'd rather have Carle for $5.25 than Suter for $7. It's not my money but to me Carle has more value to the Flyers than Suter that's all.

who knows, maybe Parise with his strong leadership type personality is exactly what this team doesn't need right now?

That's a good point. It's pretty obvious that Giroux is going to get the "C" someday, maybe a strong personality like Parise messes with the chemistry?

Honestly I hope Parise re-signs with the devils, I like that alot better than him signing with the Pens.....