Carey Price re-signs with Habs

Guest Polaris922

Well I wasn't comparing him to THAT deal... Lol. Just goaltending contracts in general. I for one thought Bryzgalov was better than Price until this past year. Lol. Now I dunno what to think.

IMO. He is easily worth that, he's got more talent than anyone this side of Quick and King Henrick. He's mentally strong, well equipped to handle the most scrutinized job in Canada, he's got some swagger to him as well. To me that is money well spent.

I've been a big CP fan since he toyed with my beloved hershey bears in the calder cup finals a couple of years ago. A man among boys, everyone in the arena knew the bears would not beat him the night I went and that bears team was loaded.

IMO. He is easily worth that, he's got more talent than anyone this side of Quick and King Henrick. He's mentally strong, well equipped to handle the most scrutinized job in Canada, he's got some swagger to him as well. To me that is money well spent.

I've been a big CP fan since he toyed with my beloved hershey bears in the calder cup finals a couple of years ago. A man among boys, everyone in the arena knew the bears would not beat him the night I went and that bears team was loaded.

I just don't see him as much more than slightly above average. I'm not someone who's seen him mature though just his time with the Habs.

That may be true. I try to look at goalies for consistency when I evaluate them too, not just flashes of skill. I see Price as a guy with great talent but that's been inconsistent enough that he's been in and out as starting goalie a LOT. They brought in Halak... But maybe now is his time to shine. I'll trust your judgement on this one and try to watch him more closely.

6 years $39 million... Wow... I don't think he's worth it but ... Wow...

I don't think this deal is much different than the deal Fleury signed in 2008. Fleury signed a 7 yr deal with a cap hit of 5M per year. At the time that deal was signed the NHL salary cap was 56.7M making Fleury's percentage of the team cap 8.8%.

Price is signing his 39M 6yr deal where the team salary cap is 70.3M His 6.5M salary is 9.2% of the team cap. Keep in mind the minimum salary to sign other players to the team is basically the same then as it is now. That seems fairly equivalent to me.

I'm not sure how your measuring Price's worth? Imo, he may be more important to the Canadiens success than Fleury is to the Penguins.

on a side note, join us in playing MVP challenge

Until this last playoff season I'd have confidently said Fleury is a better goaltender. I think he's proven that he can be overplayed and got too many games last year. He was tired and it showed in his disastrous play in all but about 5 periods in the series.

I will watch Price closer though. Like I told Mojo maybe what I saw were just growing pains and sold him down too quickly. We'll see what the big money does to his season. Hope he steps up though. I DO like his character and mental toughness.