Sabres add toughness

Guest Canadian Sabres

In the last few days Sabres made some big splashes in remoulding the identity of the Buffalo Sabres who were considered by much of the NHL as Pansies when Milan Lucic ran over Ryan Miller last year and the team didn't react..

Day 1: Sabres signed John Scott on the opening day of free agency for 600,000 for one year

and with the cap going up to

$70,200,000, Scott’s contract takes up less than 1%.

Scott will not be paid to put points on the board so dont look for any big goals for him this year, Scott has never lost an

NHL fight.

Day 2: The Sabres traded Derek Roy and what was left of his 6 year deal at 4mil (one year) to the Dallas Stars for Steve Ott and Adam Pardy

Adam Pardy has one year left at 2mil

Steve Ott has 2 years left at 2.95mill

Ott was fourth in the NHL last season with 278 hits in 74 games

"I think more than anything else we needed to move the balance of skill versus the physical nature of our game, and become a tougher team to play against," said Regier, who made the deal one day after signing 6-foot-8 forward

John Scott as a free agent. "Steve can play and complement the higher-skilled guys and contribute in a lot of different ways. I think that he will be very valuable for us."

Pardy, 28, had three assists and 16 penalty minutes in 36 games with the Stars in 2011-12, his lone season with Dallas after three seasons with Calgary. In 183 NHL games, he has four goals, 25 assists and 157 penalty minutes.

The Buffalo Sabres now have 10.995mil in cap space to work with to sign or trade for more players.

Players to look at:

1) Bobby Ryan - 5.1Mill with 3 yrs left

2) Zach Parise - TBD

3) Rick Nash - 7.8mil 6yrs left

IF we cant lure Parise here with Stafford look for Stafford to be on the block to acquire wither Ryan or Nash. Sabres have the parts to deal for both Ryan and Nash if operation Parise is unsuccessful.

Getting both Nash and Ryan will cause a 2.9mil overage in cap nothing we couldn't clear up with some trades though

Trade scenarios

1) Stafford, Sekera, and 1st round pick OR prospect for Rick Nash (which is what it probably would take cause Columbus wants alot)

2) Leino for Ryan (which is a salary dump trade to fit both Ryan and Nash)

What are your trade suggestions for Nash and Ryan?

We got plenty of prospects to fill the void of any defensive departure used in a trade so im not too worried plus Foligno has proved he's NHL ready with his play in our stretch run to the playoffs ..

So who will the Sabres grab next? time will tell

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Nooooo way that Ville Leino gets you Bobby Ryan. A 30 goal scorer that is big and young is going to cost a lot. A Ryan trade would look more like Ennis Sekera Pysyk 1st round pick. With Nash the first issue is we are not even on his "list" of approved teams, doesn't mean we can't talk him into it, but unlikely. Also Howson is asking for a boat load for Nash so I'm not to crazy about getting in that race. The faster Parise signs the faster we can get answers.

Great deal for Ott - and getting two years of him for Roy is a steal IMO.

Ryan will require some big pieces - a Myers or an Ehrhoff to start, I think. There is No Way that Leino gets you Ryan by himself and I don't think Anaheim picks him up even as a package.

Nash will require a few big pieces that, quite frankly, I don't think he's worth and I don't think the Sabres should part with.

Stafford? A guy who has hit 30 once and 20 twice in six years gets you a perrennial 30-goal scorer? It just doesn't work that way.

In the end, I don't think either player works for Buffalo at the moment.

@radoran I think the Sabres and Flyers are going to being fighting eachother for Ryan. If the Ducks said any package requires Myers or Ehrhoff then I don't think Buffalo would still be talking. Flyers said they would not part with B. Schenn or Couts and Myers falls into that category for Buffalo. Also the Ducks had no interest at all in Derek Roy so this trade for Ott doesn't effect them in the Ryan sweeps. It all depends on what Anaheim wants, if they want mostly forwards then Ryan is in Philly next season, but if they want mostly defense then he is in Buffalo. Some team also could come out of nowhere and steal him from under the Flyers and Sabres nose. However should be a fun next couple weeks!

@radoran I think the Sabres and Flyers are going to being fighting eachother for Ryan. If the Ducks said any package requires Myers or Ehrhoff then I don't think Buffalo would still be talking. Flyers said they would not part with B. Schenn or Couts and Myers falls into that category for Buffalo. Also the Ducks had no interest at all in Derek Roy so this trade for Ott doesn't effect them in the Ryan sweeps. It all depends on what Anaheim wants, if they want mostly forwards then Ryan is in Philly next season, but if they want mostly defense then he is in Buffalo. Some team also could come out of nowhere and steal him from under the Flyers and Sabres nose. However should be a fun next couple weeks!

I think Buffalo has a lot in the cupboard for young D and some nice young Fs as well. There could be a lot of prospects and a pick or two headed to Anaheim - so that could make up for the "roster player" I keep hearing Anaheim wants as a base to add to. I just don't think Sekera is that attractive as a main piece to acquire for a perrennial 30-goal scorer. Maybe a Leopold?

I'd hate to give up Ennis...

Here's a thought tho - how about Vanek going the other way?

Here's a thought tho - how about Vanek going the other way?

That has been in the back of my head the entire time with this Ryan situation. Personally Vanek is my favorite Sabre and it would be a bummer to see him leave. I also think he is very very underrated for what he does, he might not be the fastest or flashiest guy in the league, but he does what very few players in the league do and that is take a beating in front of the net. I would love to see Hodgson get a shot between Vanek and Ryan. However have to give up to get and I wouldn't be to upset if Vanek goes the other way.

Whatever happened to that crazy Sabres fan? The guy who thought the Sabres were best team in the NHL and should win the cup every year. He would go along with the Leino for Ryan idea. I'm assuming he finally was banned, he was always good for a laugh with his outrageous points.

Whatever happened to that crazy Sabres fan? The guy who thought the Sabres were best team in the NHL and should win the cup every year. He would go along with the Leino for Ryan idea. I'm assuming he finally was banned, he was always good for a laugh with his outrageous points.

He got himself banned. Then banned again. He recently tried another attempt.

The laughs were fine, the personal attacks and ridiculous trlling got old.

That has been in the back of my head the entire time with this Ryan situation. Personally Vanek is my favorite Sabre and it would be a bummer to see him leave. I also think he is very very underrated for what he does, he might not be the fastest or flashiest guy in the league, but he does what very few players in the league do and that is take a beating in front of the net. I would love to see Hodgson get a shot between Vanek and Ryan. However have to give up to get and I wouldn't be to upset if Vanek goes the other way.

I'd like to see what Vanek can do in Buffalo, but you do have to give to get.

@radoran I agree 100% it was embarassing as a Sabres fan. I really couldn't believe he believed some of the stuff he said. Also did I see the Stars gave Jagr 4.5 million?!?! Holy overpayment

I have many Very Close Friends who are Sabres fans. He embarrassed them all.

I would be posting about ways to improve the Sabres and he would pick out things simply to scream at me about incoherently.

It was like reading a Leaf fan who put the wrong jersey on.

Rad............Friday or Saturday, our boy Zemgus is leaving here for the Sabres rookie camp. If your friends hear anything about his performance, will you post it?

Rad............Friday or Saturday, our boy Zemgus is leaving here for the Sabres rookie camp. If your friends hear anything about his performance, will you post it?

I'll see if anyone's going to rookie camp and post whatever I am told!