Jagr signs with Stars

Guest jkearse123

Wow, $4.5M for 1 year? WAY too high! Goes to show that Jagr's still all about the payday. I doubt you guys will miss him at *that* price tag.

Seriously........ What the hell is Dallas thinking? I would give Doan an extra million before I sign Jagr. Not that he was bad here, but I don't want him at $4.5 a year. I hope Texas Rangers pick him up... lol

Edited by Mad Dog

Yep. Just heard on CSN. Is Dallas becoming an old-geezers club? Whitney, Jagr.... What the hell?

Stop-gap until next season when they may try to pilfer the Ducks & Preds for their big FA's.

Not a bad idea.

We should do the same thing (even better) and sign Doan to a 2 or 3 year deal.

Edited by AndyS

Wow, $4.5M for 1 year? WAY too high! Goes to show that Jagr's still all about the payday. I doubt you guys will miss him at *that* price tag.

Now we are starting to free up some money. But, be careful Homer. All the toys in the window are very overpriced.

• Like 1

Wow. That's a lotta coin, I'll admit I'm surprised. I really liked what Jagr brought to the table last season and would have been OK with re-signing him. But not at $4.5M. Honestly, I thought he might take a hometown discount to stay, but apparently he's at least still partially motiveated by the $$$. Although we don't know what, if any, offer the Flyers put in front of him -- will be interesting to see if any details about that emerge in the next few days...

I am very surprised to see myself typing this, but I will miss Jaromir. It turns out he was fantastic as a Flyer, as a locker room influence, as a source of great quotes, and for the most part can still play at a very high level. Maybe not $4.5 million worth, though.

Bon voyage, JJ.

• Like 3

I doubt you guys will miss him at *that* price tag.

you'd guess correctly. My thought regarding him and possibly resigning him was that I'd hope they'd have given him less considering we found out his limits. Glad to see they didn't stupid on this one.

• Like 1

AMEN...all that garbage about "it's not about the money bullschitt...buh bye...i'm glad he signed else where he just can't keep up anymore and it was obvious towards the end of the season....he score 1 goal in 11 games and more imprtantly he was -5 so long Jagr....no Cup for you down there...

Wish him well. Thats a TAD too high. :)

Welcome.

He taught Giroux and a few others what it takes to be one of the elite players to ever play the game.

I'm glad he was on the the Flyers for that reason alone. Didn't think I would actually think that last September.

Yeah , by reading this forum it would appear we are distraught over this signing. He was far ,by that i mean a metric ton, better than I was expecting. His time here was constructive for our young players because they were able to see him prepare to play hockey and enjoy all aspects of being a pro hockey player even if they don't have his elite talent, they got to see greatness up close and that never hurts.

• Like 1

AMEN...all that garbage about "it's not about the money bullschitt...buh bye...i'm glad he signed else where he just can't keep up anymore and it was obvious towards the end of the season...

I think injuries hampered him towards the end. I am not so sure I would look at this necessarily as money grubbing. Afterall, he turned down more money last year from two other teams to play for the Flyers.

Here is what I think happened. With the contract offers to BOTH Suter and Parise, that left nothing for Jagr. I don't think the Flyers expected BOTH of those guys to sit with there thumbs up their asses for a few days to decide on what they want to do. Even if the Flyers were hedging their bets, in the event that both agreed, Jagr was gone. In the event that Parise agreed, Jagr was gone (as Carle and Voracek still need to be signed). So, the Flyers sent a clear message to Jagr on the direction they were pursuing.

At that point, then Jagr is on the open market and has to pursue what is a good fit for him. He still wants to be a prime time guy. So perhaps you had a Detroit / Dallas bidding war and Jagr decided that Dallas was the better fit for him with the personnel they have.

He still was a .73 ppg player last year. That projects to 60 points over the course of the year. That would tie him with Corey Perry, who makes 5.3m a year. As it is, his 54 points were tied by the following (at RW):

Ryan Callahan- 4.275M

Kris Verseeg- 3M (but RFA this year)

Dustin Brown- 3.175M

Alexander Semin- 6M (contract before that was 4.55m)

TJ Oshie- 2.35M (RFA this year)

You then look at guys like Franzen (4M), Justin Williams (3.65M) and Martin Erat (4.5M) who all put up just a couple points more than Jagr this year and you can see how a 4.55m pay day came down. For me, I think the fair market for him was probably around 4M. I throw in the other .5m for bidding "star" power and all that.

In the end, I don't really think he was money grubbing. What does surprise me is that I thought he would seek out a two year deal in the high 3's-4m range.

• Like 1

He found a team that would overpay safe in the knowledge they didn't have to worry about his playoff production adn they can trade him mid-season for an asset that will benefit them going forward.

• Like 1

A well thought out post by @Vanflyer

Jags has one or two years left in the NHL (at the most). He wants to be paid what he thinks he is worth by comparison to others as he must feel that he proved he still has "it" last season.

The other argument that he said that he want's to play for a "winner", well I am not expecting much from the Flyers next season unless we can replace some scoring as I don't think ZP is coming our way and our defence is looking worse with Carle moving on.