What Homer Will Do

Guest Podein25

@Podein25

That really seems like just about the only viable option they have. Again, it's not perfect and it's a far cry from getting the team to the level it needs to be at to say we have a fair shot at winning the Cup next year, but there does't seem to be a whole lot of options for Homer. I am still fuming over how he managed Bob and JVR. Bob especially. We got absolutely nothing for him, while having packaged both could've gotten us a very respectable player back..... teh player that could've addressed the needs.

@Mad Dog

I guess I kind of agree, but it's not at all certain that packaging JVR and Bob would've gotten us what we needed/wanted. The asking prices look to be very high for all potential deals and hardly any of us support moving Schenn or Couturier to make it happen. So, handcuffed there.

I will be mad if Carle doesn't sign, because it sounds like he and Homer had a handshake deal. If he truly wanted to test the UFA market for highest bidder he could have said so and Homer could have traded his rights for something.

@Podein25

I keep hearing that Carle's waiting for Suter to sign is actually not coming from Carle, but from the Flyers. Apaprently, Homer asked Carle to wait and promised him to give him the money he has asked for (not sure what that was) in case Suter doesn't come to Philly........ which clealry he has no intention to do. Otherwise, Carle would've signed by now because there were some teams offering him some serious cash..... We'll see soon.

@Mad Dog

Ok,. yeah I should have realized that too. I knew this in a way, since this seems to be obvious at this point. But I guess I just figured Carle and Homer also would have realized this and just signed already to put an end to the waiting.

@Mad Dog

I think Luke Schenn will be a good player for us. We have other guys to jump up on the play, he'll be able to play his game here rather than trying to be all things for a bad Leafs team. I disagree that JvR was " wasted". Now Bob's trade and subsequent picks are head scratchers.

@mojo1917

Well, I am not a big Luke Schenn's believer. As a young player, you don't find yourself in a doghouse with 2 different coaches. It just doesn't happen frequently and there's gotta be a reason for that. My hope is that 1) playing on the same team with his brotehr and seeing a great work ethicks of his will help him and 2) Lavy is a type of coach who is capable of helping someone like Young Luke. lol

I also have high hopes for Bourdon. I really do. As I said in a different thread, he is my breakout candidate. He's better make the team.... which is another reason I am more and more inclined not to add any significant pieces to the D other than re-signing Carle.

• Like 1

@mojo1917

Well, I am not a big Luke Schenn's believer. As a young player, you don't find yourself in a doghouse with 2 different coaches. It just doesn't happen frequently and there's gotta be a reason for that. My hope is that 1) playing on the same team with his brotehr and seeing a great work ethicks of his will help him and 2) Lavy is a type of coach who is capable of helping someone like Young Luke. lol

I also have high hopes for Bourdon. I really do. As I said in a different thread, he is my breakout candidate. He's better make the team.... which is another reason I am more and more inclined not to add any significant pieces to the D other than re-signing Carle.

I think Luke Schenn will end up being a perfect fit in Philly.

Wouldn't shock me if he were to become a fan favorite in a year or two.

Pods I agree with you and 2nd that suggestion

remember the cliche-One mans trash is another mans riches.

Think:Patrick Sharp

JVR was an awkward & inconsistent fit

I dont know what to make of Bob. But again he was signed as a free agent, right> So we did not lose anything except his "potential"

But really with a recently frequently injured & inconsistent player like JVR , 2nd overall pick or not its a gamble on both sides and a good hockey trade. If Luke Schenn becomes as good as Coburn, but with a mean streak its a huge win.

Think about how many first round picks have decent careers and play more than 3-4 years as regulars, without even geting into stardom. Then look at how many 1st rounders are busts and end up in the AHL for life?

The only other thing that could happen is some kind of pick laden deal for Bobby Ryan, but if you have the cap space for Doan, he would look great in this uniform and probably do better with the reduced travel schedule

Did he get along with Bryz????????????????????????????????????????

Did he get along with Bryz????????????????????????????????????????

I was wondering same. And what Doan thought of Bryz generally. Bryz played some decent goal for the 'Yotes so Doan would have witnessed that. Could be a factor either way.

Not what I necessarily want to happen, but think will happen, likely today:

Re-sign Carle

Sign Doan

Maybe sign a depth D-man

That's it.

Carle is waiting for Lady Suter to make up her mind what to wear to a presser.

Doan is waiting until July 9 for the Coyotes.

I don't see a depth defenseman at this point. Maybe if Philly misses out on Carle and doesn't sign Suter.

Not what I necessarily want to happen, but think will happen, likely today:

Re-sign Carle

Sign Doan

Maybe sign a depth D-man

That's it.

As long as Holmgren doesn't get into a pissing match with Detroit for Carle's services and doesn't overpay for him then signing Carle makes sense. I'd like to see them sign Doan if possible because in order to trade for Bobby Ryan then Couturier would have to be the player going the other way since Schenn will probably won't get traded since his brother is here now. I have a feeling Detroit will try to sign Carle now the Suter signed with Minnesota.