Shea Weber

Guest jdimaggio555

I wanted to post this in the messenger box but since I am new I could not yet.

I remember either hearing on the radio or reading somewhere that if Sutter does not resign with Nashville then Weber will not sign an offer sheet with someone, because if Nashville matches it he will be stuck there. So it appears when Sutter signs with Detroit that Weber will sign a one year deal with Nashville then become a FA next year or just ask for a trade.

@jdimaggio555

Welcome to the forum. You now have access to post in the shoutbox.

I think that is a very realistic scenario for Weber's situation. The Flyers may be better off losing the Sutter sweepstakes this year and going all out for Weber next year.

• Like 3

Could Weber turn into the most expensive trade deadline acquisiton ever? You get him for the playoffs and then have a month or so to tie him up long team. I can only imagine what contending teams would give up get the NHL's best d-man for a title run. Even though Nash might indeed need him for their own playoff run, one playoff run does not a francishe make.....they could turn that offense around selling him to the highest bidder come playoff time.

I wanted to post this in the messenger box but since I am new I could not yet.

I remember either hearing on the radio or reading somewhere that if Sutter does not resign with Nashville then Weber will not sign an offer sheet with someone, because if Nashville matches it he will be stuck there. So it appears when Sutter signs with Detroit that Weber will sign a one year deal with Nashville then become a FA next year or just ask for a trade.

Welcome Aboard! I agree..smart play for Weber. He obviously does not want to play for the Preds. Flyers hold tight this year and go for broke next year.

Ya, that's exactly how I see it. If Suter (one t) walks, then Weber likely will too. He'll sign for a year, then FA here I come!

Man, is everyone selling Poile way short. I will say this again:

- if Weber does not sign a mid range contract this summer, his RFA rights will be traded. There is no way Nashville signs him to a 1 year deal only to have limited trading partners at the trade deadline during the season. It is going to be all in or all out THIS summer for Weber.

I am very stupid, so someone please correct me on why anything different would happen.

Van, I think you're probably right. The only thing is that the team trading for his rights better be allowed to talk contract with him before the deal is finalized. If I'm another GM, I don't throw pieces Nashville's way if Weber won't sign with me long term as soon as he's acquired.

- if Weber does not sign a mid range contract this summer, his RFA rights will be traded. There is no way Nashville signs him to a 1 year deal only to have limited trading partners at the trade deadline during the season. It is going to be all in or all out THIS summer for Weber.

I am very stupid, so someone please correct me on why anything different would happen.

You are far from stupid my friend, but I think that is the point. I think Poille has to move Weber's rights.

You are far from stupid my friend, but I think that is the point. I think Poille has to move Weber's rights.

Only if Weber does not want to sign a mid-long range contract. The pisser is that Suter just set the bar for Weber. Weber has two choices:

1) sign a mid - long range deal with Nashville

2) demand a trade

I think #1 is going to happen. The Preds have money now. They have a stud in goal. Suter was Webers wing man and not the other way around. The organization is top notch. They (poile and trotz) have run on a shoestring budget for many years. They have money now (a silent partner).

Meltzer mentioned yesterday that Poile blew it on Hamhuis and now Suter. In Hamhuis' case, he should have been traded at the deadline to maximize return. For Suter, I can understand he wanted to push for the playoffs, but you can't tell me the King's ransom he could have commanded at the deadline wouldn't have made up for it. Instead, he basically let him walk away for nothing.

I betcha we would have traded one of our top D-men, like Carle for example, a top 6 forward and a draft pick for Suter at the deadline. Carle is no Suter, but I'm sure they would have done just as well in the playoffs.

You could tell Poile was super pissed at his presser yesterday. Kinda sucks for him...

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

your points are valid , depending upon whether or not Weber wants to continue playing for Nashville.

If i am shea webber and i see my wing man walk for big dollars , some punk azz ***** walk to vancouver for big dollars, i think maybe i too would look for greener pastures, there has been no help offensively and though my team is good there are several in the league i could go to where i am the missing piece and i'll have a legitimate chance to play in the finals.

i think the fact that poile has not been able to retain his system's players is troubling, theses quality canadian and north american boys can't wait to get out of Nashville in spite of the fact they have played junior . ;)

I betcha we would have traded one of our top D-men, like Carle for example, a top 6 forward and a draft pick for Suter at the deadline. Carle is no Suter, but I'm sure they would have done just as well in the playoffs.

The problem with that scenario is that he would have walked this summer anyway. He had no interest in being a Flyer (and made it very publicly known). So, here is what have happened: You give Carle, a JVR and a pick for Suter to rent him for 3 months.

It is easy to say would of, could of, should of. I would rather have Schenn for JVR straight up than rent Suter for 3 months. I think people are giving Suter way too much credit. He is Carle- just better in the defensive zone (but certainly no norris candidate). Nothing more, nothing less.

Meltzer (whoms opinion I respect allot) has good points. But the same could be said for Homer on Carle. Carle walked for nothing. I think both Philly and Nashville were hedged their bets towards the playoffs. If Nashville trades Suter at the deadline, that send a message that they are folding. Same for Philly with Carle.

I also don't think that Suter or Carle get you a kings ransom at the deadline. They are both complimentary players and rentals with the impending UFA.

I am happy for Minnesota, but they did not get stanley cup contender better with the signings.

i think the fact that poile has not been able to retain his system's players is troubling, theses quality canadian and north american boys can't wait to get out of Nashville in spite of the fact they have played junior . ;)

Which is a total shame. Finally Nashville has some dollars to spend, but it is a day late and a dollar short (pun intended). Nashville general fan base is great. Its a great place to live, etc. If Weber and Nashville do not come to terms, it will be a total bust for them- and for that I feel bad. I have a high admiration for both Poile and Trotz on what they have done there. They are not Phoenix, Atlanta, etc. and have done it with limited corporate sponsors. You can take Tampa, Panthers and Phoenix and move them wherever. Nashville has gutted it out- the right way.

Homer could offer Poile,Timmonen and Hartnell in exchange for Webber,think Kimmo could help fill the hole Webber left and Hartnell could provide the offense the Preds never had. We know the Preds like these guys,I'm not sure if any players want to come to Philly anymore with the "Plague" in goal.

Homer could offer Poile,Timmonen and Hartnell in exchange for Webber,think Kimmo could help fill the hole Webber left and Hartnell could provide the offense the Preds never had. We know the Preds like these guys,I'm not sure if any players want to come to Philly anymore with the "Plague" in goal.

Is that you Kuato??