What's next for the Pens?

Guest B21

@Penguins-66

I don't see Setoguchi going anywhere soon. The Wild will likely have Setoguchi play on a line with the rookie Granlund. They desperately need to make the playoffs this season, trading away a top 6 forward won't help them much.

@Penguins-66

I don't see Setoguchi going anywhere soon. The Wild will likely have Setoguchi play on a line with the rookie Granlund. They desperately need to make the playoffs this season, trading away a top 6 forward won't help them much.

I'm not so sure he considers Setoguchi to be untouchable as long as he receives fair value in return. Then again, maybe he does? If I go by the rumors I've read and comments from Minnesota fans, I think we could land him if we put forth a solid offer. But I would gladly take him if the asking price is right. I'm not stating Shero should get him all cost and get completely hosed in the process, but simply giving Fletcher a call and seeing what he would like in return for Setoguchi can't hurt the organization.

Either way, at some point this team will have to make a move for a top-six winger in my opinion. There's a reason why Shero was going after Parise. As much as some Penguin fans are automatically banking on the likes of Eric Tangradi or Matt Cooke, I do not consider them viable options for the job. While I'm willing to wait and see what Tangradi can do if given the opportunity, I'm by no means holding my breath. To be perfectly honest, I would be fairly shocked if Tangradi is still on the roster around this time next year.

Edited by Penguins-66

I would like to see us remain patient and use our cap space wisely. If Shero receives a trade proposal that he's comfortable with, then pull the trigger.

I prefer that option over giving a soon-to-be 36-year old Shane Doan a 4-year/$30.0 deal. Call me cheap, but the most I would offer Doan is 2-years/$7.0. Unlike some Penguin fans, I never wanted Semin in the first place, so I wasn't ready to leap off the Duquesne Bridge when Carolina decided to throw $7.0 at him and he accepted. I was actually somewhat relieved. In short, I prefer patience over desperation.

Shero giving Fletcher a ring and simply inquiring about Setoguchi would make me a happy camper. He has always intrigued me and I wanted him in a Penguins sweater back when San Jose was shopping his services. He's young (25) and has proven in the past that he's capable of putting up 30+ goals. Plus, he's cap friendly, receiving only $6.0 over the next two seasons. I wouldn't mind seeing him paired with Crosby or Malkin for the right offer.

IMO, he's a more realistic trade option for the Penguins than Bobby Ryan.

Agree. I think he's likely looking at options no one has thought of yet. No one saw the Neal trade coming...something along those lines.

Philly is apparently hurting for d-men. I wonder if they would take Paul Martin? :)

• Like 2

Hey, now *that's* a great idea! Flyers fans, what do you think? :D

lol, what no love for Martin? I still don't think the Flyers are looking for a top 1-2 type d-man. Losing Martin makes the Pens defense a bit weak, especially since you guys didn't get Suter either.

Martin had a bad season last year, no doubt. But let's not forget he's was a solid top line defenseman for the Devils AND our country prior to that. I don't think he was just a product of the Devil's system as he played great in international play as well. I'm not so sure sending him away cheap is a great idea. Might be worth seeing him another few months..,

@Polaris922: Yeah, essentially I agree. It's just SO easy to rip him upside and down after the season he had last year. I'd be more than happy to eat every cross word I've said about him should he turn it around and prove me wrong this year. The frustrating part is that I know he's capable of great play. Let's just hope he had an off year.

• Like 1

View PostB21, on Aug 14, 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

Philly is apparently hurting for d-men. I wonder if they would take Paul Martin?

Hey, now *that's* a great idea! Flyers fans, what do you think? :D

only if it's for Giroux and we send you a pick.

@Polaris922 I always kinda viewed Paul Martin as a steady dependable d-man who did not venture to far out of his skill set (a good thing IMHO). Back with NJ, he was the power play qb, but only by defalut, they didn't have anyone who could really fill that void. As far as pp qb's go, he was just ok, not flashy, did an average job. I wouldn't go so far to say he was medicore, just non flashy I guess. Never been really impressed with him, but never thought he was bad....just blah...ok.

• Like 1

@Polaris922: Yeah, essentially I agree. It's just SO easy to rip him upside and down after the season he had last year. I'd be more than happy to eat every cross word I've said about him should he turn it around and prove me wrong this year. The frustrating part is that I know he's capable of great play. Let's just hope he had an off year.

I've heard every excuse for Martin's play last season, from Bylsma's system to his shoulder problem to planet alignment. When he was playing a solid defense, he was praised to no end. Even though I'm not convinced he is worth the money he is being paid, I tipped my hat to him before this past season. He played a very solid defensive game. Unfortunately for him, his defensive game suffered last season and he was criticized.

My thinking...

If you're not bringing anything to the table from an offensive standpoint, at least play a solid defensive game, especially for $5.0 per year. He didn't do that last season. Some were angered by the negative response. I'm not sure what they were expecting the response to Paul Martin's defensive game to be? Should we have marched a parade down Centre Avenue in honor of the guy? Erected a statue next to Lemieux outside of the CEC?

Don't get me wrong, as a long-time season ticket holder and fan, I wish the guy all the best and I hope he turns his game around. I never want to see any Penguin fail. But I felt Strait played a better defensive game than Martin did last season and I would have no problem dumping his insane salary if there's a willing buyer and taking my chances on Strait, Despres, Lovejoy or Bortuzzo. I'm absolutely sure many will disagree with that opinion, but I feel you have to see what these young(er) guns can do at some point.

*Waits and ducks for bashing...lol*

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 1

*Waits and ducks for bashing...lol*

Nah, I can't bash that. I understand your thinking and I'm inclined to mostly agree. I've been a proponent of the young guys for quite awhile. Honestly, Martin would have to have a ridiculous year to even come close to living up to that $5M salary in my opinion. And like you said, *at least* contribute with solid defensive play. Hopefully that happens this year!

@Penguins-66

@DinahMoeHumm

Believe me, if I thought we could get anybody to take him for anything decent, I'm okay with it. Just not cheap. I don't wanna see him sent away just to send him away. I'd rather see if he improves this year and then shop him at the trade deadline if he hasn't. Maybe by then you can at least get a decent return for him if he's not struggling too badly. And come playoff time, with injuries and whatnot, we may find someone desperate for a proven D-man that we can pilfer something decent for him and move one of the young d-men into his slot.

Nah, I can't bash that. I understand your thinking and I'm inclined to mostly agree. I've been a proponent of the young guys for quite awhile. Honestly, Martin would have to have a ridiculous year to even come close to living up to that $5M salary in my opinion. And like you said, *at least* contribute with solid defensive play. Hopefully that happens this year!

From the rumors I've read, at least three teams are/were interested in taking Martin and his salary - Minnnesota, Nashville and Detroit.

Ever since Shero traded Michalek, he seems to be inclined to keep Martin even though I can't see how Strait, Depres or Lovejoy could play any worse. Again, I felt Strait's defensive game and grit was a welcoming surprise. Unlike Martin, he actually throws the body around from time to time. While I wasn't expecting Martin to magically morph into Scott Stevens when he joined the club, a little physicality wouldn't hurt his game.

Oh well, fingers crossed.

Edited by Penguins-66
  • Like 1