CARLE RETURNS TO TAMPA BAY

Guest jkearse123

Lots of teams over paying this summer.... I guess they're not afraid of the big bad cba.

This IS really going to hurt though... I was not a big fan of Carle's but he's a vet and this leaves a HUGE hole in our back end.

• Like 2

Really? Homer couldn't at least match that??? Carle played a TON of minutes, well. Giant hole to fill now.

I think the money would have been okay, it is the 6 years the Flyers would have not have done. I said all along he could get 5+m here for 3 years and get paid again. He choose the latter. Its a good contract for him.

I am still pleased the Flyers are not over-paying / extending. The only player I want now is Doan. If he is not available, then we go with what we have.

• Like 3

Keep asking you guys Plan B? Homer screwed up now Homer don't overpay to make up for losing guys. sign Wellwood another brother duo. Sign Carlo! Bruno???????? Depth needed toughness,D-man offensive {Husellis spelled wrong this years Jagr Homer}. We keep hearing Doan good player never won though!

I think the money would have been okay, it is the 6 years the Flyers would have not have done. I said all along he could get 5+m here for 3 years and get paid again. He choose the latter. Its a good contract for him.

I am still pleased the Flyers are not over-paying / extending. The only player I want now is Doan. If he is not available, then we go with what we have.

At this point, if Doan is even available, he's the only UFA worth pursuing I think as well.

Well, that's all she wrote, I guess....

I think this is basically a statement by Homer that this season will just be a year to really give the kids an opportunity to start blossoming.

I think from fans' perspective, this will be a very frustrating season. The team became weaker than it was, but I think the plan - if there *is* a plan - is to shoot for 2013 to go for it. I am certainly bummed, but I really think in the long run, the team is better off.

That is, of course, assuming Bryzgalov gives us any semblance to the goalie the team hoped he would be when they signed him.

• Like 1

Well perhaps now we wont have the highest paid defense corp in the nhl?

Looks like one of the young guns and/or Leljia (sp?) will need to be #6. Gus, MAB, Manning? Maybe even the Oliver kid will leap frog this crew to nab the 7th spot?

Who knows maybe there is a Pronger update we don't know about?

Too bad homer couldn't have dealt him in the summer for something even a 4/5 round pick.

Lots of teams over paying this summer.... I guess they're not afraid of the big bad cba.

This IS really going to hurt though... I was not a big fan of Carle's but he's a vet and this leaves a HUGE hole in our back end.

Let's look at who we have for this current year coming up on D.......

1)Kimmo Timmonen- Excellent 2 way guy albeit getting a little long in the tooth, still one of the best PP qb's in the league.

2) Braydon Coburn- Absolute Beast. Great skating and Puck mover for his size.

3)Andrej Meszaros- Good offensive player with a big point shot and not too shabby in the speed department either.

4)Niklas Grossmann- Huge hitter and shot blocking guy. A very welcome addition to the team last year.

5)Luke Schenn- Lots of potential with this guy. Another big hitting d-man. The book is still out on him until he sheds his Leafiness......

6)Marc Andre Bourdon- Started out on fire but cooled off due to injuries. I would like to think of him as Kimmo's understudy. He skates well and has a sneaky point shot.

7)Erik Gustafsson- Started slow when he was first called up but has come around. Erik and MAB should be splitting time as the 6th dman.

8) Brandon Manning- I see him playing big minutes in the AHL this year, probably top line minutes with either MAB or EG depending on which one is the 6th guy. Next year, after Timmo is gone, He becomes the 6/7 guy.

9) Andreas Lilja- Personally I dislike the guy and his stupid grin that he has every time he screws up. IMHO, he is the weakest d-man we have and his real job is to eat popcorn with Shelley in the box......

I did not even put Chris Pronger on the list due to his devastating injury which should have him permanently on the LTIR. I for one, am happy that Matt Carle did not get over paid for 6 years here. Good luck in Tampa Matt, you are going to need it.

Does anyone think it is strange that NONE of the d-men on the above list have a negative +/- ?

At this point, if Doan is even available, he's the only UFA worth pursuing I think as well.

If you are doan- assuming the Phoenix thing it not resolved, where do you want to go play? I would think playing next to Giroux would be at the top of his list. The only question is- has he had enough of Breezy alread??

not the greatest of outcomes but provided nothing extreme is done from this point it potentially helps us become a big player next year, we'll see what the new cba brings forth , maybe let the young guys learn , this year and make the big push next year, i will be bummed if i read with in the next couple of weeks that b schenn and + is going to anaheim or more guys are going to columbus, i'd like to see what this group can achieve without those guys.

our team will miss carle's 25 minutes a night and his vision there is no doubt. but i would not want to pay him that much money v the cap for that long.

as much as I am not a carle fan this leaves a very big hole on our back end... Homer did the right thing b y passing on Carle... 5.5 is acceptable but 6 years is crazy. I have to believe Homer has something up his sleeve here b/c how the hell can you put this defense in front of Bryz and expect to win?

Who knows but this Team is definietly not better than last year's group and the defense is pedestrian at best. Not feeling too good right now but I do not think Homer is done by any means... One good winger and a solid 2-4 dman and we will be fine...

Go after Weber at the deadline!!!!!!!!!!

I am kind of encouraged for our young guys like Manning, Gusts and Bourdon. I think they wiill do fine now with the addition of Luke and a right handed shot this d corp will do fine. I think Gus will fill into Carles shoes nicely.

I totally agree. I applaud the fact the Flyers are not overpaying for free agents and not panicking by dealing one of the young guns simply to make a move. The Flyers might be finally getting it...

Better to go into the season with a good, young nucelaus, better goaltending from Bryz and build. NEXT year is when there are some players truly worthy of decade long, mega millions contracts.