CARLE RETURNS TO TAMPA BAY

Guest jkearse123

Unbelievable. What a giant D O U C H E

Homer would have offered around $5M, it is safe to say, for likely just as long a term.

I look forward to one of the Schenn brothers catching him with his head down in the corner. Oh, that's right, he doesn't go in the corners. Open ice it is then. Maybe his knees. Yeah that's it, we'll see how mobile he is with some freshly torn ACLs.

Edited by Podein25

So why didn't Carle sign with TB on July 1?

Maybe Tampa also bidded for Suter? At the end of the day, what Parise and Suter did was hi-jack the market for a few days and screw a few teams over. I am VERY pleased that neither of them are a Flyer today after what they did. I hope Weber signs with either Nashville or another Western team so he can bury both of them 8 times a year!!

Better to go into the season with a good, young nucelaus, better goaltending from Bryz and build. NEXT year is when there are some players truly worthy of decade long, mega millions contracts.

I could not agree more. We also will know whether Bryz had the mettle or not. I am not sure how many people know this, but we have 30M to spend next year (without any increase in cap). Also, do people realize that this is a contract year for Hartnell?? I think Kimmo-sabe will return for a couple of years, but it will be 5m range- not the 6.6 he is making now. All said, we will have to wait ANOTHER year for a SC contender in O&B. But it looks as the philosophy to win now all be damnded has fallen back a bit.

Keep asking you guys Plan B? Homer screwed up now Homer don't overpay to make up for losing guys. sign Wellwood another brother duo. Sign Carlo! Bruno???????? Depth needed toughness,D-man offensive {Husellis spelled wrong this years Jagr Homer}. We keep hearing Doan good player never won though!

Is english your first language?

Unbelievable. What a giant D O U C H E

I don't get this from you sheep xxxxxx (fill in the blank as you please). Put yourself in Carle's shoes. The Flyers tender a 12 year 80M offer to Suter. IF that contract goes through, then the Flyers don't sign Carle. If you want to say D O U C H E- it should fall to either Homer for offerring the contract to Suter and waiting- or to Suter for waiting so long to make a decision that was made awhile ago.

• Like 1

Maybe defending in front of Bryzo is a career threatening experience? I like the optimistic look on the Flyer's "D" men, it gives new meaning to the term spin. It would be nice if one of these guys would step up and lead,Coburn would be the most likely candidate,but? Homer kind of botched things this time. Bryzo Rules!

@Vanflyer

Sure, there's plenty of douch-iness to be spread around here.

Having said that, I'm from the Bob Clarke school when it comes to loyalty. I work in politics, where loyalty is the only thing that matters, because you have to be able to count on it 100% of the time. I would like to see some of it.

I recognize that Homer hasn't exactly lived up to his side of the loyalty bargain by trading his Captain and ol' frosted tips not long after signing them to long-term deals. But then again, how many times did Homer say to Ritchie: "get your asss out to Cherry Hills, take your posse with you, change the narrative and all will be fine"? I guarantee it was said And more than once. So, that's on Richards not Homer IMO.

I blame the Aramark concession stand for section 105a.

At the end of the day they are always to blame.

Later Matt, enjoy Tampa. Time for Lavy to work some magic with the roster he has.

I guess this is a true example of developing what you have.

I am kind of encouraged for our young guys like Manning, Gusts and Bourdon. I think they wiill do fine now with the addition of Luke and a right handed shot this d corp will do fine. I think Gus will fill into Carles shoes nicely.

I agree. Gus, MAB, and to a lesser extent Manning got their feet wet last year. Lets see what we are working with on the current roster and see if guys developed over a year instead of trying to fulfill all needs in the FA market. Other than adding another depth D-man or a veteran winger I would like to see the Flyers stay right where they are. I really hope Homer doesn't spend to the cap right now and saves some in case a deal needs to be done at the deadline.

Having said that, I'm from the Bob Clarke school when it comes to loyalty. I work in politics, where loyalty is the only thing that matters, because you have to be able to count on it 100% of the time. I would like to see some of it.

I am 100% with you on that. But when your GM offers Suter a 12 year 80m contract that is YOUR replacement, how can you be mad about "loyalty"? We have no clue on the negotiations behind the scenes prior to the free agent period- but once that hit, the kid gloves were off after Homer made that offer.

Perhaps there was a ton of Douchiness prior to the free agent market on Carle's behalf that prompted Homer to make that offer. Perhaps not. We will never know. But once that offer was made to Suter, Carle's bags were packed.

Just to be crystal clear about something: Homer got nothing for Matt Carle.

Nice job Homer

And poile got nothing for Suter. Nice job Poile.

I wrote this on another post: if either team trades either player at the trade deadline, they are mailing in their season. I think both teams had hopes / expectations of re-signing each player.

The best you could have hoped for was trading the players rights away prior to the free agency period. It might have got you a 3rd round pick at best.

as much as I am not a carle fan this leaves a very big hole on our back end... Homer did the right thing b y passing on Carle... 5.5 is acceptable but 6 years is crazy. I have to believe Homer has something up his sleeve here b/c how the hell can you put this defense in front of Bryz and expect to win?

Who knows but this Team is definietly not better than last year's group and the defense is pedestrian at best. Not feeling too good right now but I do not think Homer is done by any means... One good winger and a solid 2-4 dman and we will be fine...

Go after Weber at the deadline!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree with this. Carle was the #1 D-man for the Flyers last year, whether you want to believe that or not. The #1 guy gets the most ice time and plays in all situations. Some of the recommendations, i.e., MAB, Gus, etc, to fill the #1 guy's ice time are just assinine. Expect a trade to fill the hole and expect it to hurt the forward corps.

I don't get this from you sheep xxxxxx (fill in the blank as you please). Put yourself in Carle's shoes. The Flyers tender a 12 year 80M offer to Suter. IF that contract goes through, then the Flyers don't sign Carle. If you want to say D O U C H E- it should fall to either Homer for offerring the contract to Suter and waiting- or to Suter for waiting so long to make a decision that was made awhile ago.

Agreed again. Don't blame Carle for looking out for himself. It was quite apparent that the Flyers weren't looking out for him. He was the 2nd higest rated UFA D-man on the market. Other GMs drove up the price by signing lesser players to inflated contracts.

This is going to hurt.

• Like 1

But when your GM offers Suter a 12 year 80m contract that is YOUR replacement, how can you be mad about "loyalty"?

Rumor was the Flyers had the highest $$ offer on the table for both Parise & Suter. I heard/read it was 12yrs/$100mil. Another statement I read from one of the players was he signed for less than the top $$ to be in a less "under the microscope" atmosphere. It wasn't *all* about the money.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Who is suggesting that MAB, Gus, etc fill #1 ice time? I think what is being suggested is to let these guys back fill the #5/6 and elevate guys like Meszaros and Schenn to more top 4 minutes. I'm sorry no one is going to convince me that Matt Carle is worthy of a 6 yr/$33 million contract. You suck up the years and money on a contract for superstars and all stars. You don't for complimentary players.

Some of the recommendations, i.e., MAB, Gus, etc, to fill the #1 guy's ice time are just assinine.

OK, yes that would be asinine but why do you insist they are going to be plugged into the #1? Those guys playing 6/7 not 1 at 1/5th the cost of Carle makes perfect sense. Both Bourdon and Gustafsson showed promise in their ice time last season and that was paired with Lilja part of the time.

I think the money would have been okay, it is the 6 years the Flyers would have not have done. I said all along he could get 5+m here for 3 years and get paid again. He choose the latter. Its a good contract for him.

I am still pleased the Flyers are not over-paying / extending. The only player I want now is Doan. If he is not available, then we go with what we have.

I agree with u that it is great we didn't get on the hook for 26 years and 200 million. I want Doan badly as well. Do u think we should leave the defense alone now and go with Bourdon, Lilja or Kubina? I like the Coaliachovo(sp?) idea. I would like to get a guy that can try and replace Carle's pts from the backend.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Who is suggesting that MAB, Gus, etc fill #1 ice time?

I guess I mis-stated that. That isn't quite what I meant. Sorry.

Assuming there isn't a trade to bring in a #1 guy, all the other D-men will have to move up in the Depth dept to eat up the 23 mins/game Carle was playing. Some of the guys will be able to hold their own with the expanded role. If somebody gets injured, now MAB, Gus, etc, is now sitting in a #4, 5, or 6 slot. I don't believe they are ready for that (yet).

Hope this clears it up.

Homer screwed up. Carle was a key piece of the team and Homer let him get away by trying to play mind games. Yes, $5.5 million is more than I thought Carle was worth before free agency started. But $7.5 million for THIRTEEN YEARS is WAY more than I thought Suter was worth too. And let's not even talk about Wideman. So if that's where the market is, then Carle's contract with TB doesn't seem so bad to me. He's 27 years old, the next six years should be the prime of his career. Losing him certainly doesn't make it easier to cut back on Timo's ice time either. The Flyers have a big hole to fill, and no obvious way to fill it.

• Like 1

@TimKerrFan12

Colaiacovo would definitely come much cheaper than Carle and wouldn't be a bad fit. I would rather just pick up another depth guy or stay pat with what we have now. I think the team barring a catastropic injury is in good enough shape to be buyers at the trade deadline. I would like to see Homer keep this team under the cap and re-evaluate mid season when more players will be made available via trade.

I guess I mis-stated that. That isn't quite what I meant. Sorry.

Assuming there isn't a trade to bring in a #1 guy, all the other D-men will have to move up in the Depth dept to eat up the 23 mins/game Carle was playing. Some of the guys will be able to hold their own with the expanded role. If somebody gets injured, now MAB, Gus, etc, is now sitting in a #4, 5, or 6 slot. I don't believe they are ready for that (yet).

Hope this clears it up.

It isn't just about the amount of ice time either. It's about what the player does during that ice time. For the most part, I like what I've seen from Bourdon and Gus, but to think that either of them are anywhere near ready to do the things Carle has been doing is absurd. Timo is the only one who has that ability now, and the talk has been trying to reduce his ice time, not increase it. Gonna be tough to do that without Carle.

Colaiacovo would definitely come much cheaper than Carle

I think he is a very good choice if healthy. Problem is he has rarely been healthy. Once he put a Flyer jersey on, he'd get injured or maimed inside of 10 minutes.