I like the Flyers free agency season so far...

Guest rickmac19

I'm wondering why they're after Gervais... it must be part of something bigger where they trade a defenseman?

Gervais is a #6 at best, and unless they don't trust either Bourdon or Gus to fill that role (and let's not forget Lilja!), then I don't really see the point.

Lilja is on a 35+ contract so he counts no matter what.

I love the none moves also. Let this team develop. let guys like Wellwoood, and Harry Z, Bourdon, Manning, and Gus get some ice time and develop as a team. Pursue Weber next year if they want and if this can this year, if they can steal him in a trade with out giving up Coots or Schenn type deal maybe "MAYBE" get Ryan.

I am in on the "let the team develop" mode as well

It would make sense to get a Doan or Ryan without breaking up the core

And as posted previously, with Timmo coming off the books, Weber can take that cap space.

The big IF in the future is IF we have the brilliant Bryz of March before his injury (going along with better protection) or if we hear & see more "Ground Control to Major Ilya on Solaris"

I think this offseason is a perfect example of addition but not doing anything major.

I agree with rickymac. Parise and Suter are good but not great players worthy of those salaries. Now if the deal was for Weber or Getzlaff I am much more comfortable with the money and terms.

I appreciated all the impact Jagr had on the team both on and off the ice but not worth the 4.5 million he received.

Carle was a turnover machine who played soft.

Our defense is much better simply with a healthy Mez and the acquisition of Schenn

I still think the Flyers are pursuing Bobby Ryan. Not on anything other than a gut feeling, To me it just makes sense. Ryan wants to be here. The Flyers need a top line winger and more size and Ryan gives both. Plus signed to a cap friendly deal as well. I think the Ducks want Couts or Schenn and the Flyers might be offering Read and 1st round picks.

I think we acquire Ryan we are in excellent shape.

• Like 1

I'm happy with the Flyers free agency so far.

If either Parise or Suter had taken their offer, they would have had to blow up the team to fit one under the cap.

They really want and need Weber, anyway.

I'm not a Carle detractor; not a big fan, either. He seems to me an enigma--I just can't figure out what the guy does. Head-man pass, yes, I will give him that. Seems average at everything else. Glad the Flyers didn't just blow 5 large on him for half of forever.

Jagr--it all looks like a good idea until he wears out in another playoff. Then the Flyers will scratch their heads and say, "Guess he didn't have as much left in the tank as we hoped."

I think the Flyers need to take a deep breath. Couturier and Brayden Schenn could break out this year. They have a lot of talent on their team. Hopefully Luke and Brayden push each other, as they say about one another.

Losing Meszaros cost them the Devils series this year. He can help a lot if he stays upright. The Flyers have five good defenders, and I like Gustafsson a lot.

Holmgren can't win them the Cup, the players have to do that. They have enough talent on their team that if everyone makes winning their sole focus, they can.

Great post and I could not agree more. This is a watershed year of stand pat. We will know everything we need to know about this team in this year:

1) We will learn if Bourdon is ready for the prime time.

2) We will learn if Gustafson is ready for the prime time.

3) We will learn if Wellwood is an energy guy of a top 6 guy.

4) We will learn if Breezy is gold or dust.

5) We will watch Timmo in his swan song. I hope he stays on for two more years as a 3/4.

6) We will watch another year without the Flyers winning the Cup.

Pursue Weber next year if they want

Man, I must be really dumb, but why does everyone say "pursue Weber next year"? He will not be available next year. It is now or never for Weber. Nashville will NOT sign him to a 1 year deal only to watch him walk as a UFA next year. If you want Weber, trade for his rights now or sign him to an offer sheet. Otherwise, put him in your rearview mirror.

Meltzer said they may be pursuing Gervais because they aren't confident that Bourdon is healthy yet. If so, that's not a good sign for Bourdon's future.

Nashville will NOT sign him to a 1 year deal only to watch him walk as a UFA next year.

I see your frustration since you are prolly right. But maybe Nashville will have no choice than to sign a one-year deal? They could still trade him at the deadline and get top value. Indeed, they might be able to get more for him then, than for his RFA rights now? I realize NSH is building to win, but they might be handcuffed.

Meltzer said they may be pursuing Gervais because they aren't confident that Bourdon is healthy yet. If so, that's not a good sign for Bourdon's future.

Not a good sign for Bourdon's future? WTF? Bourdon had a late season concussion (as did Grossman). He is not known for concussions previous to that. He is 22 y/o and you make it sound like his career is over. Gervais is an insurance policy on the 5/6/7 position. Nothing more or less.

Here is Meltzer's article and he said no such thing regarding Bourdons health:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

Assuming the Gervais deal gets done and the Flyers otherwise stand pat on defense for the time being, the depth chart would like something like this:

1) Timonen -- Aging All-Star defenseman is coming off back surgery

2) Coburn -- Great stretch drive and playoff; may need to try to pick up offense

3) Schenn -- New arrival; high expectations, underachieving results in Toronto

4) Grossmann -- Knee and concussion issues late in season; strictly defensive D

5) Meszaros -- Coming off back surgery; bigger offensive role and more consistency needed

6) Bourdon -- Surprisingly solid rookie year until concussion issues in stretch/playoffs

7) Gervais -- Adequate younger and right-handed shooting alternative to Lilja

8) Lilja -- Did passable job in 7th D role last season; knows his limitations; over-35 contract

9) Gustafsson -- Would be two or three spots higher but is the only waiver-exempt player

I see your frustration since you are prolly right. But maybe Nashville will have no choice than to sign a one-year deal? They could still trade him at the deadline and get top value. Indeed, they might be able to get more for him then, than for his RFA rights now? I realize NSH is building to win, but they might be handcuffed.

I actually think that right now they could move Weber for almost anything they want. After watching what some of these guys got in FA they can trade Weber for almost anything.

@Phillygrump

We shall see I guess. Weber doesn't want to stay in NSH. He's practically said so. So he isn't gong to sign a multi-year extension. He's going to want a 1-year deal. If Poile refuses to give him that, they are at an impasse and he pretty much has to to trade him. At that point this will be obvious to every GM. So how does that scenario give Poile any bargaining power?

I agree with both of you. Now if we can get Doan it will be perfect. Get some 4-5 D-man and that is all.

Also try to get Ryan with a trade, but no Couts involved.

That would be my hope as well - sign Doan & try to trade picks for Ryan.

Not as worried about the D as everyone else seems to be.

(I'll just move this over here...)

Suppose for a moment that what we have on the roster is pretty much what we'll see in September.

There is room and time to move, obviously, but let's look at what we've got (assuming we keep Voracek as an RFA)

This isn't a bad Top Nine at all: Briere, Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Voracek, Talbot, Read

The fourth line needs some work, granted. Wellwood, Sestito, Rinaldo... and, ugh, Shelley...

But, there is still room to add a top-6 caliber F.

On the Blue Line: Meszaros, Timonen, Coburn, Grossmann, Schenn, MAB/Gus + Lilja

You could add in Matt Walker to the mix (if you really wanted to)

That's not a bad Blue Line - I have concerns about durability but, again, there's still room to make a move

We all know about Goaltending. It ain't gonna change. Deal with it as I do, pour yourself half a glass of bourbon and then add ice - it's hockey.

This is a team that had a solid season growing together and I think showed great promise. If Phoenix's situation blows up and you can add a Shane Doan - perfect. If Teemu Selanne decides he doesn't want to end his career playing alongside Saku Koivu - who came to Anaheim to do just that alongside Selanne - fine.

Bottom Line: The Flyers have $9M in cap space (pending CBA) and I team I wouldn't at all mind watching next year even if they don't do anything. Then they clear about $13M off the books with Hartnell, Timonen, Lilja and Shelley (WAIVE SHELLEY NOWTM).

Is this a "definite Cup winner" next season? No. No one is. But this squad can certainly "compete" for the Stanley Cup and as far as I'm concerned could certainly make a run.

• Like 1

I'm wondering why they're after Gervais... it must be part of something bigger where they trade a defenseman?

Gervais is a #6 at best, and unless they don't trust either Bourdon or Gus to fill that role (and let's not forget Lilja!), then I don't really see the point.

Lilja is on a 35+ contract so he counts no matter what.

Gervais (or just about anyone) is better than Lilja.

Gervais (or just about anyone) is better than Lilja.

I think the point is that Gervais (of whoever) will cost Gervais (or whoever) plus Lilja on the cap.

Not a total BFD, but something to be aware of. Lilja's money is on the cap regardless of what else happens.

I think the point is that Gervais (of whoever) will cost Gervais (or whoever) plus Lilja on the cap.

Not a total BFD, but something to be aware of. Lilja's money is on the cap regardless of what else happens.

At least it is only a 737.5 K hit for Lilja.

@Phillygrump

We shall see I guess. Weber doesn't want to stay in NSH. He's practically said so. So he isn't gong to sign a multi-year extension. He's going to want a 1-year deal. If Poile refuses to give him that, they are at an impasse and he pretty much has to to trade him. At that point this will be obvious to every GM. So how does that scenario give Poile any bargaining power?

Has Weber said that? All the things in late spring was that he really wanted to stay in Nashville. Even if Poile has to move him if their is an impasse- teams will line up in the bidding war for just his rights. If you want a case study- just go look at the Nash situation. He has made it perfectly clear he wants to play elsewhere. Regardless of signed or unsigned- both situations are the same and look at all the "rumored" offers being made for Nash.