Flyers- bottom line..weaker defense, weaker goaltending, weaker offense

Guest RonJeremy

@mojo1917

Do a lot of folks think that of Kunitz? I see how just as a gritty sandpaper kind of guy. Never heard much negative said about him.

Kunitz does have more of a hard-nosed rep than "punk" - Neal would be the punk (taking Crosby as a given lol). :-)

Briere isn't a punk, either.

Avery, Barnaby, Kasparaitis - they're your punks.

Not to be confused with a gutless pukeTM Robert Earle Clarke - that would be Martin Havlat.

Regarding Briere, it must be tough to be a little guy playing a big man's game. He doesn't get too many calls despite his oscar worthy acting chops, i think he works his stick to keep from being made into a stain on the half-wall. he's a thoughtful guy . whom i'll bet discovered early on in his NHL career that he was going to have to reinterpret the rules if he was going to remain in the league.

@B21 punk is a little harsh, he has some punk in him, but the guy isn't kicking dogs, chasing trick or treaters from his house and scamming old people out of their social security checks the way that criminal Kunitz does :ph34r:

First, the trick or treaters egged Kunitz's house. ;)

As for Briere, I've used similar rationale defending you know who. Briere is 5'10, 180. You know who is 5'11, 200. Bigger but definitely on the smaller side compared to the rest of the league. And I guarantee there are more players trying to make you know who a stain on the wall than there are Briere. The only real difference is that you know who will draw more calls than Briere which, at the end of the day, applies to every super star in every sport (which Briere is not).

So if "punk" applies to you know who then it applies to Briere. As long as you know who remains a "punk" in the eyes of the majority of Flyers fans than Briere will remain one (to me). The "antics" of the two are not far off.

@Polaris922

<< Do a lot of folks think that of Kunitz? I see how just as a gritty sandpaper kind of guy. Never heard much negative said about him. >>

You'll get a lot of that here. ;) Some deserved (see his hit on Gagne in the 2011 series with the Lightning). Some VERY debatable (see his hit on Timmonen in the 2009 ECF) and some undeserved (his famous scrap with Orphan Annie at the end of last season).

@Polaris922

<< Do a lot of folks think that of Kunitz? I see how just as a gritty sandpaper kind of guy. Never heard much negative said about him. >>

You'll get a lot of that here. ;) Some deserved (see his hit on Gagne in the 2011 series with the Lightning). Some VERY debatable (see his hit on Timmonen in the 2009 ECF) and some undeserved (his famous scrap with Orphan Annie at the end of last season).

Hahaha! Orphan Annie! I like it!

@Bertmenga

Yup it got awfully cold up there... Walking a fence for 16 hours when the snow is higher than your head makes you appreciate heat real quick. Lol but the freezing wind was the worst.. Went right through ya!

@Polaris922

that's a little hyperbole there for you, try not take everything so literally,

@B21

Briere is generously listed at 5ft 10in, wait i mean GENEROUSLY listed at 5'10"...maybe in skates... he who is without mention, towers over lil' paul mccartney.

and if you read my post , i acknowledge he has some punk in him. by and large he's a decent person though . see when i think of punks i think of guys that say another guy's actress girlfriend is his sloppy seconds, that's a punk perhaps we should have degrees of punk like the belt system in tae kwan do .

@Polaris922

that's a little hyperbole there for you, try not take everything so literally,

@B21

Briere is generously listed at 5ft 10in, wait i mean GENEROUSLY listed at 5'10"...maybe in skates... he who is without mention, towers over lil' paul mccartney.

and if you read my post , i acknowledge he has some punk in him. by and large he's a decent person though . see when i think of punks i think of guys that say another guy's actress girlfriend is his sloppy seconds, that's a punk perhaps we should have degrees of punk like the belt system in tae kwan do .

Well off ice I don't think ANY of these guys (Crosby, Briere, Kunitz, Neal, et al) are punks. I'm speaking strictly in terms of on ice.

Well off ice I don't think ANY of these guys (Crosby, Briere, Kunitz, Neal, et al) are punks. I'm speaking strictly in terms of on ice.

Crosby doesn't meet the "punk" definition.........now "whiny *****" he covers in spades. ;)

Briere listed at 5'10" 180 has got to be someone's idea of a joke. Maybe he reaches that height on skates with elevators in them but that is the only way he reaches that height and he probably had 15 lbs of change in his pockets and in uniform to make the 180 lbs......

We traded Bob for a prayer, and got nothing to immeditaley help the team, Bob would have been best utilized in a package deal, or we shoud have kept him one more year, is the 500,000 we save on his contract really gonna make a difference. Instead we are stuck with two slow moving turltles in the net. Leighton was an inconsistent goalie, and still will be. To me our goaltending is definitely weaker.

We lost Jagr and JVR... so we definitley lost size and scoring, sure JVR was hurt, but at worst he would have scored 20-25. Jagr was not worth what he was asking ,but unless we get Doan, everyone else is a an old washed up stiff or euro puss like Semin. Now theres talk of Bobby Ryan ,how will that help? You will be giving up 2 players at least, so that will furhter erode our depth and goal scoring.

Things looked good when we got Schenn, but only if we had kept Carle or added Suter. So all we really did was swap Carle for Schenn. We gain in hits, and defensive skill, but we lose in puck rushing, and passing ability. So we still have Mez and Timo , off back surgery and Bruno Gervais is no help at all, if we lose Timmo at all we are finished.

So, for all intents and purposes, we area weaker all around team than we were last year

Yes the team is weaker. But who cares. This is a year of development. News Flash - Flyers are not going to win a Cup this year. OMG, they are going off the bridges now in Philly by the drove.. Like lemmings... So don't do anything that jeoprdizes that Mr. Paul. Build for the future. Patience my Flyer friends. Patience. Enjoy the ride.

Crosby doesn't meet the "punk" definition.........now "whiny *****" he covers in spades. ;)

Briere listed at 5'10" 180 has got to be someone's idea of a joke. Maybe he reaches that height on skates with elevators in them but that is the only way he reaches that height and he probably had 15 lbs of change in his pockets and in uniform to make the 180 lbs......

OK, then. Howabout.....Martin St. Louis? "Generously" listed at 5'9, 177. FYI - that is smaller than Briere. He's had a nice loooooooooong career. Still going strong at 37. He's somehow manged that without being a "punk" on the ice. He was even up for a Lady Byng.

So what's the next excuse to justify Briere being a punk now that "yeah well he's short" has been tossed aside? Even-numbered jersey? Drafted by the Jets? He's a Libra? ;)

He's a Libra? ;)

yep right there it is ... darn if i'd a only known that.

you can't trust those libras especially witnessing the hard angle between Uranus and Pluto. can't be helped :ph34r:

@mojo1917

Sorry bud I've always had trouble comprehending tone in text. I'm a very analytical guy... Sometimes too ANALytical...

No big whup, it's hockey talk on the interweb-nets tm podein25

but when you see this guy :ph34r:

that means i'm foolin' around, having some fun is all.

• Like 1

No big whup, it's hockey talk on the interweb-nets tm podein25

but when you see this guy :ph34r:

that means i'm foolin' around, having some fun is all.

Would you believe I was controlling traffic lights while catching up on here and missed that? Lol.

OK, then. Howabout.....Martin St. Louis? "Generously" listed at 5'9, 177. FYI - that is smaller than Briere. He's had a nice loooooooooong career. Still going strong at 37. He's somehow manged that without being a "punk" on the ice. He was even up for a Lady Byng.

I am not trying to justify anything, I am merely pointing out that Briere is undersized compared to anyone on the ice but the ONE guy you mentioned. Briere gets careless with his stick and gets penalized for it more often than not too. That does not make him a "punk". As others have stated, Avery=punk or Domi=punk or even Matt Cooke although this previous year he cleaned it up, seriously lessening his punk rating. Subban is another guy I would put in the "punk" catagory. Selfish, screw my team, look at me types who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. Briere does not fit the mold. I am not saying he is an angel but he does not reside with the punks either.

I am not trying to justify anything, I am merely pointing out that Briere is undersized compared to anyone on the ice but the ONE guy you mentioned. Briere gets careless with his stick and gets penalized for it more often than not too. That does not make him a "punk". As others have stated, Avery=punk or Domi=punk or even Matt Cooke although this previous year he cleaned it up, seriously lessening his punk rating. Subban is another guy I would put in the "punk" catagory. Selfish, screw my team, look at me types who don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. Briere does not fit the mold. I am not saying he is an angel but he does not reside with the punks either.

Agree on Subban and Avery and Domi though I think only Avery fits the "look at me" mold you mentioned. If you want to rank players feel free. Doesn't change my opinion on Briere. He's not just "careless" with his stick. Not even close. More often than not he knows full well what he's doing. Without knowing how many sticking minors each player has been called for your argument that he's called for more is iffy at best...

Briere: 686 PIM in 813 career games...

Crosby: 401 PIM in 413 career games...

Neal: 268 PIM in in 314 career games....

So - let's try this again. ;) The Crosby/Briere "size" non-issue became an issue when someone tried to justify Briere's "punk" acts by basically saying "well he small so he has to play that way or else he'll get killed out there...". The exact quote...

Regarding Briere, it must be tough to be a little guy playing a big man's game. He doesn't get too many calls despite his oscar worthy acting chops, i think he works his stick to keep from being made into a stain on the half-wall. he's a thoughtful guy . whom i'll bet discovered early on in his NHL career that he was going to have to reinterpret the rules if he was going to remain in the league.

I brought up Crosby who A) is not ** that ** much bigger than Briere yet for some reason (jersey color maybe?) it's OK when Briere does something but not Crosby. Of course, someone turns that into Briere is not as big as he is listed yadda yadda yadda. Fine then. I presented Exibit B. Martin St. Louis. Smaller than Briere. The furthest thing from a "punk" in the NHL.

Bottom line...Briere's size (or lack thereof) is not an excuse for being a punk. And yes - he is a punk. Using the same rationale seen here before (James Neal, Crosby, et al) it's impossible to say Neal/Crosby are and Briere is not. Neal has been suspended twice and fined once. Briere has been suspended 3 times and fined once. What has Crosby (generally considered a punk here) been killed for? Stick in the nuts. Kinda like Briere did to OV. Crosby jumped McLean off a face off. Not quite as bad as what Briere did to Nielsen off the faceoff. I know...Briere never punched a guy from behind like Crosby. Of course, Crosby never took a swing at a guy from the bench either.

I like and respect Polaris as a poster here

@jammer2

I am with you. Considering that this is a hockey first forum and not a Flyers forum, I find both B21 and Polaris refreshing-especially given our harsh rivalry. If I was having a BBQ at my place and 5 of my closest Flyer fans friends were attending, I would have NO qualms about inviting @B21 and @Polaris922 to the BBQ. Both epitomize what I view this forum to be about: able to converse hockey without be a troll or ****- regardless of how opposite the point of view might be.

So - let's try this again. ;) The Crosby/Briere "size" non-issue became an issue when someone tried to justify Briere's "punk" acts by basically saying "well he small so he has to play that way or else he'll get killed out there...". The exact quote...

Did I say that, NO. Did I say Briere was careless with his stick and called for it. YES. Have I said in many other threads I dislike the way Briere dives?YES. You keep trying to make out that he is an Avery level punk and that idea is ludicrous. Neal is not a punk, he is a pu$$y and for all his skill, Crosby is still a whiny b!tch. See, I did not refer to either one of them as punks.....I can honestly say right now you are not going to sway my opinion of Danny Briere because you type it and think it is so. Besides you are a pens fan and that REALLY lowers your objective views when it comes to Flyers...... :o and I trust you accept my opinions of Penguins as the same. ;)

If Pronger "was" then Cooke "was". Can't have that one both ways. Agree on Hartnell. For pure cowardice I present...Danielle Briere. No one on the Pens can match his career work with the stick and you can count on one hand how many times he has dropped the gloves. Kunitz and Neal have dropped much more frequently. Sorry but Briere is a punk in every sense of the word.

Pronger trailed off for years, Cooke had one clean year. I like consistency before I buy into his reform. But Cooke has his one year credit, certainly. It isn't as personal with me against Cooke as it is Kunitz especially. Neal as well, but not as bad, yet.

No argument over Briere, I hate his crap. I wish he'd keep his stick on the ice, maybe he could score a goal every 30 games or so in the regular season. The diving and flopping is sickening to me as well. Of course, then he'll get plowed by Kronwall or Chara and people make it out to be Briere flopping...totally ignoring physics. Maybe Briere would get more respect if he treated the game with more respect.