Flyers- bottom line..weaker defense, weaker goaltending, weaker offense

Guest RonJeremy

@sarsippius

<< Oh....What were we arguing about again? >>

We were arguing? ;)

@B21

Completely unrelated, but that just reminded me of my wife saying "I'm not arguing with you, we're just having a discussion"!

But yeah I remember now you starting that thread after Game 3, if I had remembered that it I would have held you recent comments in a different context.

@Polaris922

OKay I watched your video... and noticed something... the entire melee starts because Giroux punches Crosby in the side of the head twice after the whistle at the end of the play around the net.

Well, I don't think I can agree with that, even before Crosby's extra poke at Bryz (which I don't really have a problem with) before this video starts is Crosby glove sliding incident on Voracek, so agree that it's hard to pull an incident out of context and make a judgement.

OKay so let me get this straight... you think he's a punk because of the way his lips move when he talks? LOL Good grief Charlie Brown...

Nah, that was being me being a wise a*s because I just don't like him either :)

I was actually in Gettysburg with my family and can't always get the entire meaning of someone's message on my iPhone while listening to dramatic storytelling of Pickett's Charge... which technically was ordered by Longstreet and Lee before him. Can we argue about that too? I want to see video!!

Done and done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3po17QbHLRQ

Thank goodness you can respond to multiple posters at the same time!

@mojo1917

Fair. I just thought some of the criticism was too harsh. That ends that debate.

@DaGreatGazoo

I can name a few. ;) Sean Avery is a punk. Tie Domi is a punk. Pens/Flyers is the best rivaly in the NHL right now. Orange is a bad color for a hockey team. (That last one is a joke. No need for 100 more posts on the merits of the color orange).

@sarsippius

Thank you! If it were new guys - OK. But some long timers were on the attack. I'd like to think I've been around long enough where my stance on a pretty popular subject is well known. Maybe that was an over estimation on my part.

I will say this. Posting here and on silly.com has really sharpened the arguing skills. I haven't lost one to the wife in a while.

That's a wrap in this thread for me (unless of course.... ;) ).

Carry on men.

Jeez, I wish this thread would die....

why? everyone is playing nicely and it's a good debate! It's a heck of a lot better than discussing the Wells Fargo ice getting top ratings. I hate when there isn't any news to discuss.

• Like 1

I can name a few. Sean Avery is a punk. Tie Domi is a punk. Pens/Flyers is the best rivaly in the NHL right now. Orange is a bad color for a hockey team. (That last one is a joke. No need for 100 more posts on the merits of the color orange).

LMAO! Too funny, B. I just had to jump in on a 13 page thread...I really have nothing of substance to add--as usual.

Dude. R U slamming my thread???

haha, of course not!

it was interesting though to see they were top rated. I'd have assumed all Canadian teams and all the teams north of Philadelphia would automatically have an edge due to colder climates.

Edited by Spinorama

Bob's fate was sealed when Homer overpaid for Bryz. I never warmed up to Bob and he never did anything too fascinatingly impressive as far as I'm concerned.

I think we'll miss Jagr.

I think we'll miss JVR.

I think we'll be happy to have L. Schenn, but I don't think it'll be that obvious as to why on a daily basis.

The thing is that this team could be looking at a bunch of young guys getting even better or it could be looking at a ridiculous mass sophomore slump.

I have no idea which.

I think Carle probably was worth the 5.5 million, but for how many years would he have required it?

Next year will see the Flyers go all in on Weber... if not before at the deadline.

We may also see a big play for Bobby Ryan now... don't be surprised.

But there's a strong core here and it's truly going to be hard to trade any of them in order to upgrade until we know what we have on our hands.

Even though the Flyers suddenly have a bunch of cap room on their hands, there really wasn't much of a free agent Market this year... and Homer screwed himself out of jagr and carle to make plays for Parise and Suter.

Jagr would have been worth the money for a short time, so that'll hurt, but like I said, Carle for more than a few years would have handcuffed what the team is going to need to do in three or four years time.

I'll admit, I'm a little worried at the possibility of a mass sophomore slump. Don't think it will happen, but that doesn't mean it can't.

This is where a HUGE season from Bryz could come in handy...if he really wants it and trains properly he has a chance like the many great goaltenders around the league before him have done and carried their teams....now him actually doing it is a different thing.

But Marty B has done it many, many times for the Devils, so it can be done.

All the difference in the world is he needs to come into training camp with a chip on his shoulders ready to prove wrong all the naysayers and the Flyers can benefit.

The down side is he could really not give $hitt cause he's already been paid...we'll just have to wait and see which we get...

@OccamsRazor

I really don't think many NHL players stop caring just because they got paid. I DO think some play harder when their contracts are up to get the bigger $, but I think to reach the level they're at, they all have to be competitors at heart and the desire to play well and win HAS to be a major drive force in their lives.

Next year will see the Flyers go all in on Weber... if not before at the deadline.

We may also see a big play for Bobby Ryan now... don't be surprised.

I liked everything in your post but these two comments.

1) I have asked this on multiple threads and have yet to read a plausible answer as to why everyone thinks that Weber will be available next summer. IMHO, he won't. What I see is one of three things happening in priority of preference to Nashville (and perhaps even Weber):

a) Nashville signs him for a long time contract this summer.

b) If (a) can not be accomplished, Nashville trades his rights THIS summer.

c) If (b) can not be accomplished, Nashville signs him to a one year deal and trades him at the trade deadline.

From a Nashville perspective, (b) is allot more desirable than ©.

The ONLY way I think you see Weber available next summer is if © occurs and the trading team is unable to sign Weber (which assumming the type of assets they would have to give up to get him- even as a rental, I think the odds are slim).

2) Bobby Ryan- With Selanne coming back for one more year, I don't see Ryan going anywhere this year. Maybe next summer, but no way Anaheim guts a top forward on their team in Selanne's swan song year. I am sure there was heavy discussion around that before Selanne signed as well.

Truthfully, the team righted the ship in the second half of the season. They were brutal in the first half, but decent in the second. I look at that first half as allot of players underperfoming, not lack of talent.

Edited by Vanflyer

@Vanflyer

I agree that Nashville won't just let him waltz off into the free agency market. They'll sign early or trade before risking it. They just lost Suter for nothing, I doubt they'll do that again.

I'm not so sure about Ryan though... I'd agree if he weren't asking to be traded. I dunno if they'll hold into him if he really truly wants out.

@Vanflyer

I agree that Nashville won't just let him waltz off into the free agency market. They'll sign early or trade before risking it. They just lost Suter for nothing, I doubt they'll do that again.

I'm not so sure about Ryan though... I'd agree if he weren't asking to be traded. I dunno if they'll hold into him if he really truly wants out.

They gambled and lost.

That is why they should have moved his rights at least.

Now they stand empty handed.

You're right no way they let that happen again....can't afford it.

The problem with Nashville is who is in the drivers seat. If Nashville can't sign him, that puts part control in Nashvilles hands and part in Webers.

On Bobby Ryan- I had missed the big blow-up on draft day and just now caught up to that. Truthfully, reading some of the comments, I am not sure I want Bobby Ryan as a Flyer.

Here is one quote: ""Anaheim to me has been a team over the past year that really has shown me nothing to PROVE that they want me here" - Bobby Ryan. Here is an excerpt from a Anaheim fan from another board:

"What else can the Ducks do for Mr. Ryan? He has a 5 year contract! He's played on the top line, he's been given chances to be the centerpiece on his own line! Hell, Randy Carlyle was fired because the two supposedly didn't get along. Everyone on the team except Teemu and Saku were on the chopping block this past season and that was more motivation from Murray than anything else."

The thing that would irke me as management is that the first half of the year, a good number of the team underperformed and that includes Ryan. At that point the "rebuild" word was in full bloom. All players have to endure trade rumors. I am sorry, but when you are making 5.5m a year, suck it up and shut-up. Don't go to the papers and cry and say how you really want to play for Philly. It makes you look like a malcontent and I don't have any interest in a malcontent.

Edited by Vanflyer

We traded Bob for a prayer, and got nothing to immeditaley help the team, Bob would have been best utilized in a package deal, or we shoud have kept him one more year, is the 500,000 we save on his contract really gonna make a difference. Instead we are stuck with two slow moving turltles in the net. Leighton was an inconsistent goalie, and still will be. To me our goaltending is definitely weaker.

We lost Jagr and JVR... so we definitley lost size and scoring, sure JVR was hurt, but at worst he would have scored 20-25. Jagr was not worth what he was asking ,but unless we get Doan, everyone else is a an old washed up stiff or euro puss like Semin. Now theres talk of Bobby Ryan ,how will that help? You will be giving up 2 players at least, so that will furhter erode our depth and goal scoring.

Things looked good when we got Schenn, but only if we had kept Carle or added Suter. So all we really did was swap Carle for Schenn. We gain in hits, and defensive skill, but we lose in puck rushing, and passing ability. So we still have Mez and Timo , off back surgery and Bruno Gervais is no help at all, if we lose Timmo at all we are finished.

So, for all intents and purposes, we area weaker all around team than we were last year

The way I see it, we mostly got rid of guys I didn't want anyway. I'm glad JVR and Carle are gone and while I'm not actually outwardly happy Bob is gone, I simply don't care. He was nothing special. The only one I'll miss and think the team could have benefitted from keeping was Jagr.