Flyers announce signings of Gervais and Fedotenko

Guest jkearse123

Fedetenko? Doesn't make sense unless they plan on trading one of the other lower line forwards for someone bigger.

Not really...it's about leverage at this point.

They have 12 forwards under contract...

...with a few young pieces to sign or trade or sign then trade but something tells me that they ared not done...

...just wait for the other shoes to drop. 8 defensemen under contract and 2 goaltenders.

With 7.8mill of capspace left.

Which oddly is Nash's cap hit.

By capgeek and i'm not sure if that includes or not Pronger's LTIR money...so more is to come...when?

We'll all have to wait.

Jake,Sestito, Harry Z and Bourdon all need to be resigned unless they are going to move a few pieces but these past signing give flexability...i think.

Unfortunately, my memory of Rusty is overrun by a certain Ottawa series. Ugh,

Or the fact that we traded him to Tampa for the a first round pick (#4 overall) only to get Pik-my-nose-nen.

Edited by Vanflyer

@Vanflyer It seems like whenever the Flyers suck enough to get a really good pick, they end up doing it in a horrible draft year. When the Pens suck, there is a franchise star waiting for the picking....does God hate the Flyers? lol.

• Like 1

@Vanflyer It seems like whenever the Flyers suck enough to get a really good pick, they end up doing it in a horrible draft year. When the Pens suck, there is a franchise star waiting for the picking....does God hate the Flyers? lol.

Sure seems like it. Especially the Kane / JVR situation.

I hope talks are significantly along with Doan.

I did find something I actually like about Gervais. In addition to being a RH, he actually has a decent shot from the point. I'm watching video and I can see that he can hit the net. get him on the second PP.

I hope this guy surprises. For about $400k Flyers could not go wrong.

I have changed my opinion on Gervais after doing some homework. His work on the PP and his calm under pressure will work well for him.

Typical Flyers. When they even were worst in the league and with the greatest chance of winning thelottery for the 1st overall pick, they of course had to lose the lottery to Chicago, who got Patrick Kane.

BTW, who was chief scout in the 80`s when they wasted 1st round pick after 1st round pick on useless bums like Glen Seabrooke, Darren Rumble, Kerry Huffman, Claude Boivin etc. Those years of horrible drafting eventually caught up to them when they went 5 years missing the playoffs (90-94).

Edited by OSR29

The Flyers might take a step back, at least on paper. But remember that their young guns are one year older. I expect a terrific year from Voracek, and he might be good enough to play on the 1st line permanently. If Schenn is healthy, he could become what many thought he would be last year. Couts will only be better... Scoring could be good enough, Rusty is kind of a utility forward, not sure how much he will contribute. But he´s all heart and a guy who steps it up come crunch time.

Gervais is a depth guy as a 5th or 6th defenseman and our defense looks alarmingly suspect now. Timo better play a full year, but he´s older, slower and more injury prone. Schenn better rebound his play from last year. Our defense is worse than last year, and we can´t get far with this group. I know we´re all dreaming about Weber next year, but we need upgrade this year too on defense.

and he might be good enough to play on the 1st line permanently.

I just don't think Jakes skill set is a good mix for G. His size and effort are the right mix, but he is a pass first guy and when he does not pass, his shooting ability is mediocre at best. G needs guys that have size, can cycle with him AND finish. Jake has 2 of 3.

Our defense is worse than last year, and we can´t get far with this group.

I think we stayed the same. With Grossman and Schenn, we became allot more tougher in our d-zone. Our d does not need to be great. What they need to do is play within their abilities. Last year, there were a number of problems created by Lavi's "giddy up and go" system AND their being too wide of caps moving in all three zones. Accountability of that also falls on the forwards (ie leaving the zone too quick and not back checking hard enough).

If we can get 17-18 quality minutes from Schenn, then I think we will be ok.

The other part of it is that we need the Bryz from October / March, not the Bryz of Dec-Feb. 3 gf a game should be more than enough to win in this league. We can do that as long as Bryz is not giving up 3ga like he was from Dec - Feb.

• Like 1

I know we´re all dreaming about Weber next year, but we need upgrade this year too on defense.

Weber will not be available next year. He will be signed to a 3-4 year deal with Nashville or be moved elsewhere THIS summer.

Kane is a good player, but a bit too one dimensional for my blood. Couture was the cream of that weak draft class (at pick 10).

I meant the drop off after Kane in talent, Philly as the worst team in the league NOT getting the first overall in a uber weak draft class, and the losing the Cup to that very same cabbie-beater.

• 2 weeks later...

@fanaticV3.0 I find this site to be full of excellent hockey talk. The very best posters from Philly.com and PTPITN combined with a mish mash of very knowledgeable posters that support other teams like the Pens and Wings. Literally any tough topic to understand (ie CBA, Salary Cap, the whole waiver process, etc) is broken down by guys like Van, rad, aziz....some of the best posters in the world (IMHO) at breaking down complex topics and making it very understandable. Not the most exciting topics mind you, but if you are a real fan, you need a working knowledge of these things to form a competent opinion on certain teams/players.

• Like 1

@fanaticV3.0 I find this site to be full of excellent hockey talk. The very best posters from Philly.com and PTPITN combined with a mish mash of very knowledgeable posters that support other teams like the Pens and Wings. Literally any tough topic to understand (ie CBA, Salary Cap, the whole waiver process, etc) is broken down by guys like Van, rad, aziz....some of the best posters in the world (IMHO) at breaking down complex topics and making it very understandable. Not the most exciting topics mind you, but if you are a real fan, you need a working knowledge of these things to form a competent opinion on certain teams/players.

CBA and salary discussions? Sounds like knee-slappin' good time.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Agreed, it's some of the most boring stuff on the planet, but to gain a full understanding of where the Flyers sit, or even where they might be headed, it really helps to have this stuff dumbed down to a certain extent. The posters I mentioned are pretty good at that.

Agreed, it's some of the most boring stuff on the planet, but to gain a full understanding of where the Flyers sit, or even where they might be headed, it really helps to have this stuff dumbed down to a certain extent. The posters I mentioned are pretty good at that.

As much as I hate football, I like that they can just cut a player if they want to. I think that's how it should be in sports.

@fanaticV3.0 Wow, I find the NFL pretty harsh, but ya know, when you really look at it, you sign a contract and are expected to live up to your portion of it...ie on the field/ice performance.....if you slip below that level, WHAM....you are gone, it does make sense on many levels. Multimillion dollar contracts are excellent incentive to live your life right off the field/ice and capatalize on your prime years. Of course, the part that sucks guys perform up to expectations and are forced out by youngsters who make far less....that part must be tough to swallow. Those guys latch on somewhere, but the stigma of being outright released follows them forever.

@fanaticV3.0 Wow, I find the NFL pretty harsh, but ya know, when you really look at it, you sign a contract and are expected to live up to your portion of it...ie on the field/ice performance.....if you slip below that level, WHAM....you are gone, it does make sense on many levels. Multimillion dollar contracts are excellent incentive to live your life right off the field/ice and capatalize on your prime years. Of course, the part that sucks guys perform up to expectations and are forced out by youngsters who make far less....that part must be tough to swallow. Those guys latch on somewhere, but the stigma of being outright released follows them forever.

It's more like the real world imo and simply makes it easier for a multmillion dollar organization to operate. The salaries in entertaint are completely out of control, but football is one of the few businesses that doesn't give all the power to that athlete/entertainer. You don't do your job? You're cut. Just like you or me.

@fanaticV3.0

Welcome aboard, my man! Glad to see you here.

What's up man? How's life been treating you? I forget if I talked to you or not when I popped up on philly.com a few months back. I know I talked a little bit to rux and then I just kinda forgot about the place until I checked on it the other day, saw the state of it, and heard about this joint.