The glass half empty?

Guest murraycraven

Gents,

I have to be honest here and think we have been bamboozled this offseason. I am usually a positive person but I see only one positive takeaway from this offseason - we did not overspend for players that are commanding way too much.

With that being said how the hell does Homer go into (barring any moves) the season with this defense in front of Bryz? I think it is critical that Bryz gets off to a quick start this season. The guy needs some help around him if this is going to have a chance to work out. the d core now is not better than it was... tough predicament b/c I think having Carle on this defense makes the team better.

I like Rusty and think he can still provide some offense but I dont think you are gauranteed anything over 25 to 30 points. I am glad Parise and Suter took the other offer but I just do not see how we are better than last years lineup:

IMO the defense is worse and the offense is a push. Our defense killed us last year so I have little faith that they will play well in front of our Cosmonaut... Gus is not ready to be FT and Bourdon has some very serious injury questions.

I hope I am dead wrong but I just do not see how we improved our Team. 2nd year players and Hartnell better have a simlar or better season as they did last year b/c I fear that we are going to be giving up a ton of goals...

Tell me I am wrong b/c I am little down on this squad as it stand today.

Later guys,

MC

We brought in Schenn and lost Carle. I'm thinking Schenn (and JVR) both just needed a change of scenery and should do better with their new squad. I was never a Carle hater, but Schenn should end up better defensively. And if Bryz can't play better than last year, he deserves to be run out of town...the sooner the better. Just him playing "normal" goal should more than make up for losing Carle.

I'm glad Homer didn't chase the dragon for once. It's never won us the cup...ever.

MC 1st welcome back its been a while since we have seen ya. the key to the D is to stay healthy. they lost a lot of time due to injury last year. Bringing in shenn and fedtenko is an upgrade over what we started the season with last year. I'm Glad Homer did blow the bank on praise and suter. IMO they are not worth what they got. good players but not what I call Franchise players.

Our shot-down defense is better with L Schenn and N Grossman now. So thats positive. But ofcourse we need to fill the hole of Carle. As I see hockey the play from defensmen is very important. I think in a couple of years Gustafsson can be that guy but right now we need to sign a puck moving defensman or else our team will be very very easy to read. After a few weeks every team will understand we never attacks with defensmen or there will not be any dangerous opening passes from our end.

• Like 2

I like the moves so far. Nothing big but that can be good. All the FAs that got their deals this year I believe are ALL overpaid. 4.5 for Jagr? 5.5 for Carle? seriously? Parise and Suter practically get Crosby money? I believe it was @flyercanuck that observed in another thread that NOT getting these guys and their ridiculous rates can only be a good thing for the Flyers. All players mentioned could have been used by the Flyers, But not at the rates they went for. Just goes to show what a limited amount of FAs can do to their going rates.

The Flyers have much needed cap space to work with this season. The offseason is NOT over. Trades can still happen. But so far so good.

PS, I still can't believe we'll be watching Leaky this year.

Do not forget also that Gusts, Bourdon, and Manning are a year older, with the pick up of Schenn who is a right handed shot we so badly needed, and a full year with Grossman this defense I think got better then it was. Meszy also was hurt the whole year last year so do not forget about that.

Coburn-Timo

Gusts-Mesz

Schenn-Grossman

Manning

Bourdon

Gervais (Righty Also)

I am really proud of what Homer i doing this year. He is not getting into his pissing contests with other GMs who want to BADLY over pay players. Great move by not making moves, other then the depth moves hes made so far. Adding Feders and Gervais I think are very sound depth moves.

Edited by Philly29

I love it! Clear space for next years Ufa class. Getzlav,Cory perry, weber to name a few. Get one of them next year and I'm good! Keep our youth and add next year. Another year of no cup but it should be near if we just allow this team to grow together and not overspend on average players like minny just did

Gents,

I have to be honest here and think we have been bamboozled this offseason. I am usually a positive person but I see only one positive takeaway from this offseason - we did not overspend for players that are commanding way too much.

With that being said how the hell does Homer go into (barring any moves) the season with this defense in front of Bryz? I think it is critical that Bryz gets off to a quick start this season. The guy needs some help around him if this is going to have a chance to work out. the d core now is not better than it was... tough predicament b/c I think having Carle on this defense makes the team better.

I like Rusty and think he can still provide some offense but I dont think you are gauranteed anything over 25 to 30 points. I am glad Parise and Suter took the other offer but I just do not see how we are better than last years lineup:

IMO the defense is worse and the offense is a push. Our defense killed us last year so I have little faith that they will play well in front of our Cosmonaut... Gus is not ready to be FT and Bourdon has some very serious injury questions.

I hope I am dead wrong but I just do not see how we improved our Team. 2nd year players and Hartnell better have a simlar or better season as they did last year b/c I fear that we are going to be giving up a ton of goals...

Tell me I am wrong b/c I am little down on this squad as it stand today.

Later guys,

MC

I can deal with the mediocre signings but we really need a better backup goalie for christs sakes... we all know Bryz is going to struggle and putting Leighton it you might as well pull the goalie...I wish he was more aggressive going after a goalie..there were alot of decent options available..

• Like 1

.I wish he was more aggressive going after a goalie..there were alot of decent options available.

He drafted one in the 2nd round, who by all accounts, should be NHL ready in 5-6 years. All is well. :huh:

"sarcasm font ON" :huh:

• Like 1

I like the moves so far. Nothing big but that can be good. All the FAs that got their deals this year I believe are ALL overpaid. 4.5 for Jagr? 5.5 for Carle? seriously? Parise and Suter practically get Crosby money? I believe it was @flyercanuck that observed in another thread that NOT getting these guys and their ridiculous rates can only be a good thing for the Flyers. All players mentioned could have been used by the Flyers, But not at the rates they went for. Just goes to show what a limited amount of FAs can do to their going rates.

The Flyers have much needed cap space to work with this season. The offseason is NOT over. Trades can still happen. But so far so good.

PS, I still can't believe we'll be watching Leaky this year.

To be honest im EXCITED we didnt sign Parise and Suter for that money, huah. And Carle isnt worth 5.5 in my book, and Jagr isnt worth 4,5 no way. But if we go this into next season we might just be fighting for a PO spot. But im sure Homer will cook something up. He is kinda trigger happy coming to trades

I love it! Clear space for next years Ufa class. Getzlav,Cory perry, weber to name a few. Get one of them next year and I'm good! Keep our youth and add next year. Another year of no cup but it should be near if we just allow this team to grow together and not overspend on average players like minny just did

The only thing where I would caution you - and others - is that we have absolutely no certainty that any of those players will actually become UFAs, and even if they do, they actually choose the Flyers.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

I think we were all slightly terrified (in some cases relieved) last summer when Homer sent Richards, Carter, Leino, Carcillo, Powe, Versteeg, Zherdev, O'Donnell and Boucher packing. Plus we were uncertain of the futures of Betts, Laperriere and Leighton.

Things turned out brilliantly in my opinion.

So far this summer the Flyers have added Schenn, Fedotenko and Gervais. The team chemistry wasn't tampered with dramatically, so I think the team may be breathing a collective sigh.

Now look at it from the other teams stand point. NJ lost a big cog of it's offense, as did Pittsburgh. The Islanders are banking their season on the return of Dipeitro. The Caps may have done some upgrades but we'll see how that pans out. The only team that concerns me is the Rangers. They stood pat. And they kicked the Flyers butt last year. They are going into this season with some good team chemistry as well.

I guess all I'm getting at in this rambling post is that I for one am going to be patient and excited. i think Homer did the right things. I think our offense will be fine. Our healthy and repaired defense will keep Bryz comfortable and a year under his belt in Philly will help Bryz's psyche.

and a year under his belt in Philly will help Bryz's psyche.

At least until the first softie........ I put the over/under on booing at 1 game..........and by game 6 people will be callling for....gulp...Leighton

Note: I am probably too far out on them calling for Leighton but he is that bad a replacement that I figure it buys a few more games for Bryz....... :(

I will not view the glass as half empty until i read that couturier and or schenn has been traded for someone they will be better than shortly.

i will view the glass as half full of 15 year old macallan until that time.

Getzlav,Cory perry, weber to name a few.

Out of those three, Perry is the guy I want. I don't think we need another center (Getzlaf) and Weber will be long gone before next year. In fact he will probably be gone this summer.

I am befuddled always by those that think Weber will be a UFA next year. He won't. One of two things will happen:

1) Nashville will sign him to a multi-year contract this summer.

2) Nashville will trade his RFA rights to another team this summer.

Anyone who thinks that Nashville will sign him to a 1 year deal only to watch him walk, is kidding themselves.

Back to the point. We have allot of money next year and Perry is the guy I want on RW next to G.

• Like 1

To look on the half full side, at this stage it appears that all Atlantic Division teams got a bit weaker. Us loosing JVR, Jagr and Carle, Pens loosing Staal, Rangers loosing Prust and Rusty the Devs losing Parise, the Islander whatever.

Looking at the East as a whole it looks like only the Western teams got better.

The Canucks now have more competition from the Wild and Oilers for the Northwest, St Louis should take out the Central and LA the Pacific.

• Like 1

Thinking of the Devils series as an example,I thought Homer might might attempt to correct those glaring weaknesses.Without Pronger this team has no grit,its still soft, a twice waived goalie and no real leader to take the Flyers to the NHL promised land. Homer gave away a ton and got a few pounds in return, Flyerville has lost its charm to attract better players. Homer is is starting to resemble Garth Snow,the Nassau County Bumbler!

@Mad Dog

"The only thing where I would caution you - and others - is that we have absolutely no certainty that any of those players will actually become UFAs, and even if they do, they actually choose the Flyers"

Which is why Homer should be trying to aquire Weber this off season. An offer sheet of 9 million for 9 or 10 years wont get it done. Nashville will surely match that offer with Suter leaving. The 4 -1st rounders given up would be the best case scenario for us given all of those picks should be #20 and higher. Homer needs to trade for him. It would take at least Voracek, Read, Mezaros and two firsts to get him. We'd have a full year to sign him long term. They'll be way too much competition to let him become a UFA next year. I truly believe he wants to leave Nash, if he didn't, he would have signed long term last year.

The only way the offer sheet would work would be if it was something obscene such as 10 mil per year for 13years. Even then I wouldn't trust Nashville not to match.

To look on the half full side, at this stage it appears that all Atlantic Division teams got a bit weaker. Us loosing JVR, Jagr and Carle, Pens loosing Staal, Rangers loosing Prust and Rusty the Devs losing Parise, the Islander whatever.

Looking at the East as a whole it looks like only the Western teams got better.

The Canucks now have more competition from the Wild and Oilers for the Northwest, St Louis should take out the Central and LA the Pacific.

I agree with this. And it's interesting to me because, it IS kinda even right now....we all lost a little. But what if one of those teams makes a run at Nash or Ryan? That'll upset this balance of power. It also seems like there is an opportunity here. Maybe we launch a pre-emptive strike and go after Ryan. I think Nash may cost too much, but if it doesn't involve given up Couturier or gutting the young core we have developing, then may be it's worth the gamble. One team picking up one guy, like a Ryan or a Nash, could gain a significant advantage all of a sudden. And if we pick up, say, Ryan, does that force the Penguins, Devils, or Rangers to go after Nash for whom they would likely overpay? Could be interesting.