Where are the Canes fans?

I'm not sure how many Canes fans are members here, but there are some members who are from Carolina. I'm glad you will be posting us some info in this forum. Activity here hopefully will catch the attention of visitors. It just may however take some time.

I think the Hurricanes made a bold statement this summer acquiring Jordan Staal. This team seems to usually be in the hunt for the playoffs. The Southeast division could be rather competitive this season as the Capitals and Lightning have also made improvements to their rosters.

owners are throwing these 10+ yr contracts around like crazy. something must be changing in the new CBA. No more guaranteed contracts? Max Contract length's 5 years? elimination of the salary cap? i'm just guessing but something is up

I'm going to be posting news articles on the 'Canes. Where is everyone?

Just wondering...have you only been a 'Canes fan or a Whalers fan who decided to keep them when they moved?

Actually, I wasn't a fan of anyone other than the Indianapolis teams way back when. The NHL was not televised in Indy during the 80s when the Sportschannels had it, and I've been working graveyard shifts for the past several years and have not gotten to watch any NHL at all until this past season. I picked the Canes because I want to retire to that area. I don't root for teams that are in areas I would not want to live.

I remember the old New England Whalers in the WHA days when we had the Indianapolis Racers. The last NHL team I really rooted for full swing was the Islanders during the Cup years because the Indianapolis Checkers were their farm team.

These days I awaken at 5 am every day to go to work,, so 7 pm start times are very important. It actually came down to the Canes and Lightning as to who I wanted to follow, and Carolina won for me not only for wanting to retire there, but for 7 pm start times as opposed to Tampa's 7:30 start times. Strange I know, but when you get up at 5 every day, even 30 minutes makes a huge difference.

Edited by La Vielle Garde

I am a wings fan but kind of follow the Canes because of the Rutherford connection, still mad at them for trying to steal Federov in 98, lol. Site is mostly flyer fans but I will keep an eye on your posts.

I am a wings fan but kind of follow the Canes because of the Rutherford connection, still mad at them for trying to steal Federov in 98, lol. Site is mostly flyer fans but I will keep an eye on your posts.

Mostly Flyers fans but some of us stick around to stir the pot! ;)

• 1 year later...

Hurricanes fan here!

Been cheering on the Canes since 2002-2003, living on the east coast of Canada made it a bit hard to do, but in the era of Game Center/ Center Ice I catch almost every game now. I look forward to contributing to this site and have the hopes of sticking around for awhile.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck & Jammer2 - Thanks for the Welcomes, I look forward to getting to know everyone around here, and contributing the best that I can.

@hf101 - Again thank you for the welcome (I've recommended this place to a few people), and with a healthy Cam Ward and improved pieces on defense (Sekera and Komisarek) hopefully this team can make it back into the postseason.

Welcome aboard, @Eastcoastcane

I don't follow the Canes closely, although I did a bit more when Brind'amour et al were playing and cheered for them during their Cup run.

As an extremely casual observer of the Canes, I expressed the opinion in the GM challenge thread that the Canes didn't seem like they were really heading anywhere (either up or down) but were just kind of floating along.

For someone who follows the team, I was hoping you'd give your take on it. Is the above remotely accurate or do you see something you're either really excited or very concerned about (or both)?

Again, welcome aboard. I look forward to reading you.

I'll try to get around to giving my two cents in the GM challenge thread sometime soon.

I can be convinced to switch my intended vote for Nonis to Rutherford.....just saying ;)

and just a couple of fyi's you can see this weeks matchups in the announcement area above the shoutbox. The voting ends Sunday evening. You can also see a link to the bracket and member scoring in the menu under "Games & Chat"

• 3 months later...

Hurricanes fan here!

Welcome....

Westgarth suspended two games for boarding

Just don't really agree with this especially a first time offender and all...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=693253&navid=nhl:topheads

If this was Crosby who did the boarding.......

• 3 months later...