What's the deal?

Guest NCFlyer10

Just curious, what's the deal with the "we" and "us" stuff? I love the Flyers as much as the next guy on here, but I can hardly say, we need to do this or this was a bad move for us. I'm sure I'm gonna catch some heat for saying this, but I have been a long time reader and just can't get over all this we and us talk.

Obviously none of us are employed for the Flyers, but when speaking in those terms, I'm refering to the fan base. I view Flyer fans as being in this together. We have years of suffering in common, so much so a few "we's and "us's" are tossed around, no biggie in my books. Welcome to the board, it's a great site, hope you enjoy it!

• Like 1

I see lots of posts where player's names, team names, owner's names, GM's names are also specifically written. We, Us, is a generalization, no different than your post. ;)

Welcome to HockeyForums.

Just curious, what's the deal with the "we" and "us" stuff? I love the Flyers as much as the next guy on here, but I can hardly say, we need to do this or this was a bad move for us. I'm sure I'm gonna catch some heat for saying this, but I have been a long time reader and just can't get over all this we and us talk.

People identify with their favorite things. Some feel that others identify too much, and that's okay.

Welcome!

I just think that we do share in their successes and failures. We matter to the team and the team matters to us. Its not a stretch. Ask most of these guys whether they want to be playing in front of their own fans or not. Fans drive sports. Support your team well and it will pay off. You will share in there season.

Interesting first post. WE welcome you.

I think it is a matter of preference. Some people like to say we when referring to the team and some go out of their way not to. The Flyers are a part of my lifestyle and what I like to do for entertainment; I have a lot of time and emotion invested in them. Thus I am firlmly in the "we" camp. I am also a full season ticket holder so that is some of my money asking around out there as well but it is really not that, it's the time and emotion that leads me to say we and us.

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 1

I had a guy in the shop that I work in today wearing a Leafs jersey. We got to talking and he was a die hard fan (but a realist) and I found myself saying WE just did a big trade with you guys.

If you don't say we does that mean you are a fan of other teams as well??

@OzFlyer

""If you don't say we does that mean you are a fan of other teams as well?? ""

I believe the other side of saying we, us implies you are actually a member of the team. Many times I have heard people ask others that say we, us and ask them if they play for the team.

The Flyers are my only team (other then my beloved Jersey Devils in the 60's when they were a EHL team playing out of Cherry Hill when players came to our home for Christmas). I have no other "team" now.

what's the deal with the "we" and "us" stuff?
Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, that was not my intent, just was curious, thanks for the feedback and the welcome. I hope when I do post, I will be able to add to the conversation.

What's the deal with the "I" and "my" stuff?

jk

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 2

Obviously you never met Kuato....

• Like 4

I do slip up now and again, but I try to take pains to edit my comments to read "the Flyers" as opposed to "we" and "us" - sometimes it takes entire tense revision. It's brutal.

I've found it useful to be able to speak about another team (in my case, the Sabres) in an analytical, inquisitive style to avoid too me-anthropomorphizing of the Flyers, my favorite hockey team playing in my favorite sport, and myself.

I don't even know if I said that right. It's all good.

Also, too: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7654198/the-writer-****-my-dad-says-why-your-team-give-damn-you

Add ice, it's hockey.

...We got to talking and he was a die hard fan (but a realist) and I found myself saying WE just did a big trade with you guys.

That almost sounds like the Flyers & Leafs organizations consulted with you guys before the trade... I'm thinking that you should have held out for at least a bonus 6th round pick.

.ever talk to a Florida Gators football fan?

LOL....Bang on....."We" who have been students there literally participate in the games as fans. I think you will find the same rings true for Penn State fans. In a lot of cases, it becomes a family affair.

@flyerrod

Exactly! Fans of whatever team will slip into the we from time to time if they are die hard fans, it's a reflection of one's emotional investment in the ups and downs of the team. Plus it's quicker to type "we" than "the Flyers" :)

I brought up the Gators because in my old job years ago we used to audit a client in Alachua every year toward the end of August, right as the students were coming back and everyone was fired up for football. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Gainesville a couple blocks from the stadium. Great fans down there, it was alot fun despite the work, I definitely miss it.