Shane Doan to "start negotiations" with Coyotes on Monday

Guest radoran

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/20120702phoenix-coyotes-captain-shane-doan-decision-may-exceed-deadline.html

A final decision on Shane Doan's destination for the upcoming season could exceed the July 9 deadline set by the current Coyotes captain.

Doan is expected to start negotiations next Monday, but there is no timeline for when he will pick and sign with a team, Doan's agent Terry Bross explained.

"What people need to understand about this guy is it would have been very easy for me (on Sunday) to taken some of the teams I've spoken to and said, 'OK, let's get something done," said Bross, who began representing Doan in October 2011. "(Doan) especially said to me, 'Listen, we're not taking offers. You can tell teams I'm interested, but we're not even taking offers until we know what's happening at home.'"

Said Bross: "He's like, 'I'm not going anywhere provided we can get ownership in place. The only thing that might make me consider it is we don't get ownership. I don't know if I can go through what we went through the last three years not knowing where we're going to be next year.'"

If Doan considers other teams, many factors would play into his decision, Bross said, including management, relationship with the players and the team's chances of winning the Stanley Cup. Eight teams expressed interest in Doan when the free agency period opened on Sunday.

"I don't think he'll ever completely rule out Phoenix," Bross said.

Even if they get a good ownership, how long will it take for them to be a very good team. He is comming to end of his carrier , why not join a team that already has a better chance. Maybe he can join Flyers and help us with babysitting skills that is needed to deal with Bryz.

Even if they get a good ownership, how long will it take for them to be a very good team.

What qualifies as a very good team? Usually if you are a conference finalist in the playoffs, most would deem you very good. I mean, there are only 4 out of 30 that can claim such a thing.

• Like 1

Even if they get a good ownership, how long will it take for them to be a very good team. He is comming to end of his carrier , why not join a team that already has a better chance. Maybe he can join Flyers and help us with babysitting skills that is needed to deal with Bryz.

A "very good team" like "got to the Western Confernce Finals" last year or a "very good team" like "got bounced in the second round"?

Doan will be a Yote 2012/13.

• Like 1

A "very good team" like "got to the Western Confernce Finals" last year or a "very good team" like "got bounced in the second round"?

I consider Flyers a " very good team". This team embarrassed the cup favorite despite having a very young nucleus. If not for tons of injuries in our defense, we could have beat the Devils. Please forgive me for being a die hard fan, but I am proud of what Flyers accomplished last year.

Good point, but it's not like the Coyotes are a perennial playoff team. Last year was their first playoff series win ever?

They had a great season & a nice run in the playoffs, but he has to know that he actually has a better shot with the Flyers than he does in PHX.

I do expect him to stay in PHX, but there is a lot of uncertainty there. Wouldn't shock me to see him leave. And he would be a great fit with the Flyers.

• Like 1

I fully expect Doan to be in the desert this year... If the ownership is settled w/in the next two weeks he will be with the Yotes. I think this has the potential to drag on for a while unfortunately.

It would be great to have him as he is a heart and soul type player but I am not sure I would give him 4 years... Again, I think it is all for nothing as long as ownership is settled in the desert.

Good point, but it's not like the Coyotes are a perennial playoff team. Last year was their first playoff series win ever?

They had a great season & a nice run in the playoffs, but he has to know that he actually has a better shot with the Flyers than he does in PHX.

I do expect him to stay in PHX, but there is a lot of uncertainty there. Wouldn't shock me to see him leave. And he would be a great fit with the Flyers.

True, but Doan is a career Coyote (last original Jet) and is the captain of the squad. He's had the opportunity to jump before and stayed.

As captain, he's taken his team to three consecutive playoffs and last year went to the Western Conference Finals. I was responding to a comment that said "how long will it take for them to be a very good team"?

Well, if you're captain Shane Doan, do you think the team you just got to the WCFs will take a while to be a "very good team" or do you think the team you call "home" in casual conversation has a legitimate shot?

Suppose there's an ownership problem with the Flyers when Captain Claude Giroux comes up as a UFA at 35 and, the year after going to the ECFs having still not won the Cup with the Flyers, he jumps ship to the Detroit Red Wings because he thinks they have a better shot at the Cup before the end of his career?

How do you feel about Claude Giroux at that hypothetical point? Hmmmmm.

I would love Shane Doan in orange and black. I just don't see it happening.

It's almost as if he's using himself to pressure the team, NHL, or prospective buyers to get it done a.s.a.p. Like his loyalty is a bargaining chip.

and why not? i think it's a pretty stand up move by a stand up guy. i hope he stays in phoenix, but i wouldn't mind the flyers taking him off their hands. however, i think the wings, rags and your pengies have a much better chance on landing him. i'm assuming that if he leaves phoenix, he'll want to leave the western conference. rags and pengies bidding war!

It's almost as if he's using himself to pressure the team, NHL, or prospective buyers to get it done a.s.a.p. Like his loyalty is a bargaining chip.

I was in Pittsburgh the same time of the draft, but not for the draft. Don Maloney, Dave Tippett and much of the Coyotes front office and even a few draft picks were on the same flight back to Arizona, in coach. The draft picks were announced by the flight attendant.

I'm not sure how common that is, but it does say something when the team, decked out in Coyote Polos and bags, has to ride coach for almost 4 hours on a flight.

They subtracted Bryz. We added him. Some would argue us getting to the second round was a "nice run", too.

I'm not sure yet if these rumors about free agents shunning the Flyers because of Bryz are true but if they are you can bet Doan is not coming here.

@KjellShocked I would love to get Doan, I don't think we will, prob not among the favourites in my estimation. Should Doan indeed pick the Flyers, I would take that as a HUGE vote of confidence in Bryz. Here we have a guy who played many years with Bryz, has a better working knowledge of him than many Flyers, if he picks Philly, it would show he thinks Bryz has what it takes to win.....basically calling last year an abberation.

• Like 1