Weber open for offer sheets, still in disbelief Suter left

Guest Irishjim

3787158.jpg?701

HNR -- Nashville Predators defenceman Shea Weber will not be filing for salary arbitration, and Nashville can not file it because they did so last year. So he is an RFA and will remain open for any offer sheets that come his way.

Any money that a teams throws at Shea Weber in an offer sheet, the Nashville Predators will match it at any cost.

“We’re not really proceeding with anything right now,” said Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet. “David (Poile) said they want to sign him long term, so we’ll just wait.”

Shea Weber still can not believe that teammate Ryan Suter has left the team to sign with the Minnesota Wild along with Zach Parise.

“He’s still in disbelief,” Kevin Epp, one of Weber’s agents at Titan Sports Management, told ESPN.com Thursday. “They were so close this year in terms of the team’s chances. They really had a shot. Shea believed there was a good chance that Ryan would stay there. So, right now, Shea is still processing this news.”

Weber still may think the Predators can contend, especially if they add someone to replace Suter, and sign a multi-year deal. He also may decide that it’s time to move on, which then the Preds would have to look at trading him.

“We’re not in any hurry,” Epp said. “There’s no deadline to this. We’ll take our time and figure out the right thing to do.”

Now if your homer do you risk pissing off pollie who has been a good trade partner in the past. but does pollie who has a disgruntled player who sounds like he will walk at years end now be open to a trade for his signing rights. I say do it homer players like him only come around every once in a while

• Like 1

IJ,

Completely agree... Homer flies to Nashville and gets Poile hammered and then gets him to agree to a trade of Danny Syrvet, Gervais and a 2nd rounder!!! (jk!)

Man, I would be seriosuly ecstatic if Weber made it to the O&B...

@Irishjim

Hi Jim,

I'd risk it too. It sounds like no matter what happens, Webber will not sign there long term.

He'd get what? Two first round picks, a 2nd and 3rd? Or could just out right trade him?

If I were Pollie, I would trad all day long. I'd demand Courts, Luke Schenn and a 1st and a 2nd. If I were Holmgren, I'd do it all day long too. He is that good.

@Irishjim

Hi Jim,

I'd risk it too. It sounds like no matter what happens, Webber will not sign there long term.

He'd get what? Two first round picks, a 2nd and 3rd? Or could just out right trade him?

If I were Pollie, I would trad all day long. I'd demand Courts, Luke Schenn and a 1st and a 2nd. If I were Holmgren, I'd do it all day long too. He is that good.

I might be willing to do the dueling schenns. really don't want to give up couts, but i agree have to give something to get

@Irishjim

The Schenn bros and a 1st round pick would be pretty fair in my book.

Or you could sign him to a 1 year offer sheet and if Nashville matches he's guaranteed to be a UFA at season's end. You could make a competitive offer and if Poille turns it down just do the 1 year offer sheet.

@Phillygrump

There is a lot of mixed feelings here, so if I were Homer I would lean hard on Pollie and tell him to take something while he still can.

My only fear is we will be in the same boat with some of our players in the next few years.

@Phillygrump

There is a lot of mixed feelings here, so if I were Homer I would lean hard on Pollie and tell him to take something while he still can.

My only fear is we will be in the same boat with some of our players in the next few years.

I must admit that this suggestion came from someone else's brain, but it seems like a good idea. Or at least a feasible idea. I agree, lean on Poille and see if you can make him a competitive trade offer that is reasonable. The only problem is if you offer sheet Weber to a high dollar figure for one year you risk getting him for 4 draft picks and then losing him to FA. It is very risky.

Now if your homer do you risk pissing off pollie who has been a good trade partner in the past.

I am always torn on this. It is a perfectly legitimate thing to do. There is this mysterious unwritten code that you are not supposed to do it (regardless of your relationship with the GM). Two examples:

1) Clarke on Kessler a while back.

2) Edmonton on Penner (Burke went through the effing roof on that one)

Here is the questions for me:

1) Are you willing to give FOUR 1st rounders for Weber??

2) Are you willing to open pandoras box and expose your own teams RFA's to the same (think Giroux, Couturier, etc.).

There were no repurcussions when Edmonton signed Penner (though he sucked when he went there- so it was a blessing in disguise).

At the end of the day, the team holding the rights always has the option to match. Nashville has the cash to match any offer Philly could make (now that Suter has flown the coop). So, for me as armchair GM- I don't do it and burn a bridge on a good relationship. Nashville is a defense factory and there are kids in their pipeline that we might want down the line.

Also, Weber is ONE player. Sometimes I think we overvalue individual players. I mean Chara did not single handedly win the cup in Boston- it took a hurculean effort by thomas too. Why decimate our team and future for one player?? Look at Nashville this year. They had Suter (cough d i c k) AND Weber AND Rhinne and they did not win the cup or even make the conference finals.

• Like 2

Van,

I agree with your assessment of this situation. I make a reasonable trade offer and if it is refused, no hard feelings. Later in the season, interest in our offer may be rekindled and we keep a good relationship alive. No one loses respect and the fan base is not angry with either GM. As much as I'd like to have Weber for the start of the season, I think this is the best way to approach this. I can't see giving up the draft picks and/or the core for a single player. Why add to make one area stronger and weaken another? It's not like we have the second coming of Crosby in the system to compensate for the loss of good players that it would take to swing this deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Weber is ONE player. Sometimes I think we overvalue individual players. I mean Chara did not single handedly win the cup in Boston- it took a hurculean effort by thomas too. Why decimate our team and future for one player?? Look at Nashville this year. They had Suter (cough d i c k) AND Weber AND Rhinne and they did not win the cup or even make the conference finals.

Well, remember the effect that Pronger had on this team?

I'd give up the 4 picks in a heartbeat.

It would make us the instant Cup favorites in the East, IMO.

At the end of the day, the team holding the rights always has the option to match. Nashville has the cash to match any offer Philly could make (now that Suter has flown the coop). So, for me as armchair GM- I don't do it and burn a bridge on a good relationship. Nashville is a defense factory and there are kids in their pipeline that we might want down the line.

I fully expect Poile to match, unless this deal has too much money upfront. Holmgen may have done that franchise a favor, if they match they are guaranteed to have their captain for a long time.

2) Are you willing to open pandoras box and expose your own teams RFA's to the same (think Giroux, Couturier, etc.).

There were no repurcussions when Edmonton signed Penner (though he sucked when he went there- so it was a blessing in disguise).

Or we could always make sure that we sign the guys that we want to keep to long-term contracts BEFORE they become RFA's or UFA's.

My hunch is that Giroux will get a monster contract soon (like when Danny Briere's contract is up).

I'd give up the 4 picks in a heartbeat.

For various reasons it, I have been off line for over a week. Interesting to read this dialogue now after what Homer tried to do. Looks like her agreed with you and I in that 4 #1's and a front loaded 14 year contract should get 'er done, while keeping the team in tact. I read (now that I am back on line) that in trade talks, Nashville wanted both Schenn and Courturier- and it was too rich for Homers blood. Says allot about what he thinks of those two players potential.

I fully expect Poile to match, unless this deal has too much money upfront. Holmgen may have done that franchise a favor, if they match they are guaranteed to have their captain for a long time.

Hey HF- I have been offline for over a week (two typhoons, house flooding, computer crash and flu being passed around the house). Interesting to read our foreshadowing post mortem. I was right about the fact that nashville would match. Homer did exactly what you suggested (try to front load it beyond what he thought Nashvilles means were). Nice try, but they had the money and truthfully, really had to to match. Four number ones is not going to help them this year or next year and even marginally then compared to what Weber brings to them.

Or we could always make sure that we sign the guys that we want to keep to long-term contracts BEFORE they become RFA's or UFA's.

My hunch is that Giroux will get a monster contract soon (like when Danny Briere's contract is up).

Really good point- particularly your tier 1 players. But truthfully, you always have the option to match, so the only real risk is perhaps you lose any type of home team discount. Also, with Giroux (and I might get shellacked for this), I want to see another year like this year under his belt before backing up the brinks truck. I think the world of him and he is the MVP of the team. He does have some areas he needs to improve upon (nitpicking for sure, but it is true). I would like to see him maintain his level of productivity from last year without Jagr on his wing AND tighten the gap on those other areas). If he does that next season, definitely on the brinks truck.