RW for Giroux

Guest NCFlyer10

Everyone is talking about getting a RW for Giroux, why not go after Iginla? He does come with a huge hit of 7 mil, but we're they not gonna make a move for player with about the same price tag? Calgary needs to get out from under that contract and they could possibly just have to give up a few draft picks. He is a UFA at the end of the year and could fill a hole this year. Depending in how he plays with Giroux he may take a major pay cut to play with a future MVP and for a chance to play for a major contender. I'm not sure how it would work out with the flyers cap situation, but they really did not spend a major amount in FA and should have something left.

• Like 1

Everyone is talking about getting a RW for Giroux, why not go after Iginla? He does come with a huge hit of 7 mil, but we're they not gonna make a move for player with about the same price tag? Calgary needs to get out from under that contract and they could possibly just have to give up a few draft picks. He is a UFA at the end of the year and could fill a hole this year. Depending in how he plays with Giroux he may take a major pay cut to play with a future MVP and for a chance to play for a major contender. I'm not sure how it would work out with the flyers cap situation, but they really did not spend a major amount in FA and should have something left.

He is a bit expensive and I wouldn't want to give up what Calgary would probably want. We could wait one year and pick him up for nothing and for less of a cap hit. He would be an awesome guy to have though.

From some of things I have read, they may just give him away. He would be expensive, but could also give the Flyers the inside track to resigning him if all goes well, if it doesn't it is a one year blunder and hopefully they would not have to give up any roster players.

@NCFlyer10

According to capgeek the Flyers have about $7.8M available. They still need to sign Voracek and Bourdon. Leaving them with something like 2-3M.

I can see the Flyers keeping themselves comfortably under the cap to be able to position themselves for a trade deadline type acquisition though.

See, wasn't sure about the cap situation, maybe he could be had down the line or possibly someone who can put up some numbers at a cheaper price. He would look good on the right side of Giroux, a true finisher.

At the very cheapest Iggy would cost Laughton and a first....I'd rather go the Doan route for free. Iggy would score more, but not enough to make up for the lost assets. That's just the cheapest emtimate I can come up, it would probably cost signigicantly more. After all, the Flames have to sell this to thier fan base, turning the corner full boar into rebuild mode. The return would have to be respectable, even at Iggy's age and decreased offense, a small haul could start the road to unemployment for the Flames GM.

• Like 1

According to capgeek the Flyers have about $7.8M available. They still need to sign Voracek and Bourdon. Leaving them with something like 2-3M.

Doesn't include Prongers 5m and we can be 10% over the cap prior to the season starting (giving us essentially Prongers LTIR money).

At the very cheapest Iggy would cost Laughton and a first....I'd rather go the Doan route for free. Iggy would score more, but not enough to make up for the lost assets. That's just the cheapest emtimate I can come up, it would probably cost signigicantly more. After all, the Flames have to sell this to thier fan base, turning the corner full boar into rebuild mode. The return would have to be respectable, even at Iggy's age and decreased offense, a small haul could start the road to unemployment for the Flames GM.

Hey Jammer-

Truthfully, for my cheap blood, I only want UFA route- unless it is for a guy that is locked up for 4-5 years. I would do a nash if it was a Read type starter (not Schenn and definitely not Couturier) and a 1st and two 2nds. But I think that train has left the station. If we were going to do that move, we would have done it with bobrovsky and JVR.

There is about a 5% chance (if that) of Doan. I really like him for all the reasons you stated. Iginla is going to get paid again as a UFA. Maybe not 7m, but 6-6.5 would not be unreasonable. 30/40 guys do not grow on trees. If Jagr got 4.5m for 20-35, then certainly Iginla can get 6.

For me, I ride out the season as is. Let Jake move up for the year- then go after Perry OR Iginla next summer. Perry would be my #1 target.

Doesn't include Prongers 5m and we can be 10% over the cap prior to the season starting (giving us essentially Prongers LTIR money).

I got the numbers from cap geek and the 7.8M includes Pronger's salary. Yes we can go over the cap, but imo why does Holmgren want to be put in that position again? What is the rush? I'm guessing here that Holmgren is allowing for the possibility that Pronger may return.

Yes we can go over the cap, but imo why does Holmgren want to be put in that position again? What is the rush? I'm guessing here that Holmgren is allowing for the possibility that Pronger may return.

I was just saying we could do it if need be (iginla). From my nice armchair GM spot, I am done for the summer (other than getting the RFA's signed)- unless Doan becomes available.

On Homer allowing for the possibility that Pronger may return- I doubt that, or else he would not have offerred 14M in contracts to Suter and Parise.

I was just saying we could do it if need be (iginla). From my nice armchair GM spot, I am done for the summer (other than getting the RFA's signed)- unless Doan becomes available.

I agree. I do expect Iginla will be a possibility come the trade line.

On Homer allowing for the possibility that Pronger may return- I doubt that, or else he would not have offerred 14M in contracts to Suter and Parise.

Good Point. But Holmgren may have made the offers as a business tactic also, keeping up with the Penguins, and showing Flyer fans that he tried to do everything possible to improve this team.

Not unless he is changing from LW to RW.

Rusty can play either wing.

I don't think he was brought in to be a 1st line winger (at least I hope to god not). I think bringing him in will allow Voracek or somebody else to move up to that spot barring any acquisitions.

and showing Flyer fans that he tried to do everything possible to improve this team.

While effing himself in the process. This summer has been a big fat F in my book for Homer. The draft was idiotic (though I am not as sour on Laughton as I was initially), the FA was a cluster eff of epic proportions. The bobs move was a good one- particularly as a courtesy to Bobs (who the Flyers eff'd over royally), but to proceed to draft a goalie who will never put on a Flyers sweater with the 2nd round pick was just utterly effing stupid. I actually like the JVR-Schenn trade. That is the bright spot for me. Both players needed a change as both had become their respective teams whipping boy.

• Like 1

Rusty can play either wing.

I don't think he was brought in to be a 1st line winger (at least I hope to god not). I think bringing him in will allow Voracek or somebody else to move up to that spot barring any acquisitions.

I did not know that. Thanks. I also do not think he was brought in to play first OR second line wing. It is a utility role move to me. 7-10 minutes a night.

@Vanflyer

Well to your point of setting @quigly46 straight... No Quigs, Fedotenko was not brought in for first line anything, he was brought in so other good hockey players could move up, either Voras, or maybe Read, who can finish which I'd what I think Giroux needs, even more than size.

• Like 1

While effing himself in the process. This summer has been a big fat F in my book for Homer. The draft was idiotic (though I am not as sour on Laughton as I was initially), the FA was a cluster eff of epic proportions. The bobs move was a good one- particularly as a courtesy to Bobs (who the Flyers eff'd over royally), but to proceed to draft a goalie who will never put on a Flyers sweater with the 2nd round pick was just utterly effing stupid. I actually like the JVR-Schenn trade. That is the bright spot for me. Both players needed a change as both had become their respective teams whipping boy.

I'm not ready to state that Stolarz is a bust. In his favor he made a gigantic leap moving up from being ranked midseason at #20 to #4 in North America by the start of the draft. I think that shows promise for his development. Hopefully he can earn the starts in net for the Mavericks. I like that Holmgren chose a North American goalie over a European. They have more time to develop before tendering an ELC.

Interesting topic. I think he's a little too expensive but like the idea of him on the same line as G.

Who would you give up for him? For. That matter, if the Ducks stop asking for Coots and Schenn, who would you offer for Ryan?

I thought "Crusty Rusty" is "G"s new linemate. Isn't that the plan?

I would like to hope there would be a *much* better option to play with Giroux and Hartnell than the guy who scored an average of 9 goals in the last 3 seasons...

I would like to hope there would be a *much* better option to play with Giroux and Hartnell than the guy who scored an average of 9 goals in the last 3 seasons...

Is Quigly coffee shop / gumby?

What is the highest you see him??

Highest? An NHL goalie. Better yet, why stop there....a repeat Stanley cup Champion. :D

None of us here can put a ceiling to what Stolarz is capable of, can we? For an 18yr old he is a big goalie. Big goalies are a premium these days in the NHL. Proper training, and desire can go a long way.

He showed a lot of improvement this year. So before we knock what he is capable of let's first get a look at him in prospect camp next week.