RW for Giroux

Guest NCFlyer10

@hf101 Agreed, this kid has not even played one scrimmage in an NHL jersey and he's a bust? Wow, that's harsh even from Philly fans....lol. I think some of this stems from the fact he was cut from a few teams already, but I'm willing to judge at a later date. I do find it really hard to believe he would not have been there later, this looks like a case of Homer trying to outsmart everyone and get to cute. Just cause you have a player ranked high does not mean you select him in that spot, what your rivals will potenatilly do has to play a role here. Like the size though....

He showed a lot of improvement this year. So before we knock what he is capable of let's first get a look at him in prospect camp next week.

That's fare. I just wanted a d-man. I know it is hypocritical since we NEVER draft goalies. But I just think 2 birds in hand (Bobs) is better than one in the bush. So, for me, we moved Bobs (a known with potential and some experience) for an utter unknown with zero experience.

That's fare. I just wanted a d-man. I know it is hypocritical since we NEVER draft goalies. But I just think 2 birds in hand (Bobs) is better than one in the bush. So, for me, we moved Bobs (a known with potential and some experience) for an utter unknown with zero experience.

Bob was moved so he would get a real chance to compete for a starting job again. It is a safe bet that is was a request from Bob's agent or maybe even Bob himself. As soon as Bryz autographed the Anchor, Bob's chance at being a starter here hit nil. To his credit, Homer seems to try to accommodate people even at the cost of a return to give players another chance.

Maybe Holmgren didn't really have a plan to take a high draft pick on a D-man since he just traded for L. Schenn. Also I read that after the top 6 or so d-men were off the board there wasn't much difference between one d'man and another.

Another possibility would be with the large number of d-men in this draft, in a few years when they have matured he would have a better idea of whom to trade for.

I really think Holmgren traded Bob for two reasons which had nothing to do with the draft. One, to give Leighton another shot at playing in the NHL. and two to give Bob the chance to start more games.

@hf101 Agreed, this kid has not even played one scrimmage in an NHL jersey and he's a bust? Wow, that's harsh even from Philly fans....lol. I think some of this stems from the fact he was cut from a few teams already, but I'm willing to judge at a later date. I do find it really hard to believe he would not have been there later, this looks like a case of Homer trying to outsmart everyone and get to cute. Just cause you have a player ranked high does not mean you select him in that spot, what your rivals will potenatilly do has to play a role here. Like the size though....

Sounds like someone that we know very well. Cut from a few teams. Not drafted in 2 OHL drafts, not offered a tryout by any OHL team. Offered a walk on tryout by Gatineau in a different League....and as they say the rest is history....Mr Claude Giroux.

Edited by TimKerrFan12

Bob was moved so he would get a real chance to compete for a starting job again. It is a safe bet that is was a request from Bob's agent or maybe even Bob himself.

Which is fine, and it's actually quite classy of the Flyers. But it sure looks to me like they were more worried about helping Bob out than taking care of themselves first.

It's questionable of course how much value Bob has at this point if traded along. But I would be curious to find out if Homer really explored every single option available to him. Somehow, I would think he could've put together an equitable package, which would include JVR and possibly a 1st round pick, to bring home a better return. Hell, if nothing else, at the very least he could've brought a decent goalie backup..... someone better than Leighton (gush.....I can't even type that name without getting angry).

All in all, I agree with what others said: this off-season was very, very unimpressive.

Edited by Mad Dog

someone better than Leighton (gush.....I can't even type that name without getting angry).

The only reason to sign Leighton was to remove any pressure that Bryz might feel from a "competent" back up. Bryz will know have no doubts about who the starter is. I hate to think of it that way but after the way Leighton lied to get his contract(not coming clean about a known injury), I don't understand Homer ever giving him a real chance to wear the O&B again unless he already knows he will play few if any meaningful games.

• Like 1

@flyerrod

LOL........ So we are already admitting that Leighton is incompetent. And the season didn't even start yet. I mean I agree with you, but it's funny as hell.

Yeah, I guess it's as good of a reason as any that Leighton was signed. The downside is, if Bryz struggles and struggles mightly, we have no real goalie who can be counted on........... not that Bob really helped in that department last year either.

Of course, if that happens, the team is in deep ****....... no matter *who* the backup is.

Edited by Mad Dog

@Mad Dog

I have loathed Michael Leighton and his lateral movement that makes Bryz look like the Flash by comparison. It should be noted that Bryz's lateral movement has made three toed sloths look as they passed him going post to post. I have been a Leighton HATER from day one and intend to continue my loathing as long as he wears the O&B.

@Mad Dog

I have loathed Michael Leighton and his lateral movement that makes Bryz look like the Flash by comparison. It should be noted that Bryz's lateral movement has made three toed sloths look as they passed him going post to post. I have been a Leighton HATER from day one and intend to continue my loathing as long as he wears the O&B.

Do you think part of Bryz's problem last season was having a goalie behind him that could compete for the starting role?

@Mad Dog

Bob had great lateral movement, but often looked small in net. Leighton on the other hand takes up a lot of net space, and plays for the most part positionally sound while not giving up a lot of rebounds. My biggest concern about him is how well will he play when not given as much regular work as what he has had in the last couple of years. For the most part a team needs a back-up to win 50% of their games. I believe Leighton can do that.

Bryzo, the Flyer's twiced waivered phenom would love to share some of the Philly media coverage with Mike Leighton.Has anybody heard if Bryzo has come up with counter move to avoid any more of those richochet goals? Bryzo is dah' man!

Do you think part of Bryz's problem last season was having a goalie behind him that could compete for the starting role?

If you are asking is that my personal opinion is that, yes, I believe that to be the truth. Bryzgalov comes across as mentally weak and his remarks last year "I need to play more to be more consistent" backs that up. The guy was already playing 70 percent of the games when he made that statement. Bryz needs to become some sports psychologist's special project. Hell, with the money they pay him he should hire his own personal one....

Bob was moved so he would get a real chance to compete for a starting job again. It is a safe bet that is was a request from Bob's agent or maybe even Bob himself.

I agree and thus why I get angered at the initial contract offerred to bob (75K at the AHL level). There was not way Bobs was going to go be a starter in the AHL for 75K. That is an utter insult. When they initially signed him, they made it clear that they wanted him to play in the NHL and would get a good number of games.

After signing Breezy, the fair thing would have been to send bob to the AHL so he could get 60 or so starts and improve his northamerican game. The contract the Flyers signed him too prohibited that essentially.

That said, I am still shocked we got a 2nd and 4th for him (more the 2nd). I am equally shocked that we used that 2nd on a project goalie.

I also am not in the camp that Bryz is not moveable. I think after his third year (or even this year), he is moveable or could be bought out. The major damage of the buyout would not be felt until 2020.

If you are asking is that my personal opinion is that, yes, I believe that to be the truth. Bryzgalov comes across as mentally weak and his remarks last year "I need to play more to be more consistent" backs that up.

The other part of that is that Bobs stated repeatedly that he and Breezy didn't even talk. They were not friends what-so-ever.

• Like 1

LOL........ So we are already admitting that Leighton is incompetent. And the season didn't even start yet. I mean I agree with you, but it's funny as hell.

So all he is is a shooter tutor for practice. pfft. I guess on the plus side, glad we have a few extra dollars to trade for a goalie should Breezy tank or get significantly injured this year.

Bob lost his waiver exemption (games played) in the playoffs thanks to the three ring circus goaltending. He never would have made it to the AHL.

Is that true? He was at 60 games (including playoffs), so I thought that was still within waiver exemption?

@Vanflyer

nope, Bob's one start vs the Broons in that lost series put him over the top with regard to games played.... not sure what Laviollette was thinking there, the games were not close like the prior year, the Broons were kicking our asses they should have kept playing Booch or whomever, that was some poor foresight, IMO. I realize there was no way to know that all stops would be pulled to lure Bryz to Philadelphia but still you would think someone would have said, hey um , Pete think that's a good idea ?

@flyerrod

Ok. Fleury needs someone behind him challenging to push him. That's why I asked. If Bryz doesn't like that or get along with Bob then maybe he'll play better for you guys now with Leighton behind him. Shouldn't be much pressure there.