Exciting Anthony Stolarz profile

Guest jammer2

Well, we finally have some more information on our 2nd round draft pick. I don't know about you guys, but I feel a lot better about this pick after reading this insightful article. Turns out the youngster grew up a Devils fan (lol), worships Marty Broduer (wears his number) but patterns his game after Lundqvist.

I don't know much about the goalie coach that will work with him next year, but he has a nice established track record working with young goalies, so that's exciting. They call him a diamond in the rough and say his skill set reminds some of Pekka Rinne and Key Dryden...lol, some heavy names to toss around. Little unfair to compare him to one of the best in the game today and one of the best ever, but probably more comparing his size to these guys...let's hope there are other similarities.

Perhaps his upside is so great that the Flyers could not wait to select him. Is this indeed the goalie of the future, by the time he is ready maybe a few years backing up Bryz and then a buy out makes more sense.....do we have hope at the goalie position. Is this our first legit prospect since Pelle wrapped his car around the tree? We will know in 3-4 years, but for now, we can dream.

I like the fact this article is written before the draft, so no Flyer biased thrown in.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/anthony-stolarz-nhl-draft-profile/

Well, we finally have some more information on our 2nd round draft pick. I don't know about you guys, but I feel a lot better about this pick after reading this insightful article. Turns out the youngster grew up a Devils fan (lol), worships Marty Broduer (wears his number) but patterns his game after Lundqvist.

I don't know much about the goalie coach that will work with him next year, but he has a nice established track record working with young goalies, so that's exciting. They call him a diamond in the rough and say his skill set reminds some of Pekka Rinne and Key Dryden...lol, some heavy names to toss around. Little unfair to compare him to one of the best in the game today and one of the best ever, but probably more comparing his size to these guys...let's hope there are other similarities.

I recall some accolades and very favorable comparisons that Bob and Niitty drew as well. Look where we are now. lol

I don't know.... I try to take all these parallels with a grain of salt. With the Flyers' track record, this guy will probably end up as a perennial Phantom..... if he makes it even *that* far.

Perhaps his upside is so great that the Flyers could not wait to select him. Is this indeed the goalie of the future, by the time he is ready maybe a few years backing up Bryz and then a buy out makes more sense.....do we have hope at the goalie position. Is this our first legit prospect since Pelle wrapped his car around the tree? We will know in 3-4 years, but for now, we can dream.

I like the fact this article is written before the draft, so no Flyer biased thrown in.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/anthony-stolarz-nhl-draft-profile/

Am I cracking up or is Brodeur's number 30 not 29 like they stated in the article. Don't mind me.

@jammer2

Maybe its just me but I get kind of tired of people tagging players as busts or reaches because of where most analysts projected them to go in the draft.

This happens in the NFL all the time as well. Mel Kiper makes a living projecting NFL draft picks based on his opinion of their college ability. He doesn't pay much attention to the NFL game. He isn't a scout. He is you and me. We could project these guys the same.

The "reach" label is a very overused term. Maybe a lot of GMs had Stolarz projected higher than other players. The GMs and coaches that have NHL jobs don't come out and say "this guy is a 3rd rounder."

Its all speculation and its all based on opinion from our standpoint.

@Phillygrump Agreed, the ranking are just a rough sketch of the finished draft. Plus, some scouts don't talk up certain guys so their team gets a crack at them....and some scouts make the rankings depending on where the rankings are coming from. Sooo, conflict of interest when compling some of these lists.

If we want to get really technical Pelle crashed into a wall where there were steps going up to a school. (I know you were just using a figure of speech about the tree). It sucks he crashed right where he did because if he hit any other part of the wall (not the steps) they think he would have bounced off and not had such serious injuries.

@jammer2

Maybe its just me but I get kind of tired of people tagging players as busts or reaches because of where most analysts projected them to go in the draft.

This happens in the NFL all the time as well. Mel Kiper makes a living projecting NFL draft picks based on his opinion of their college ability. He doesn't pay much attention to the NFL game. He isn't a scout. He is you and me. We could project these guys the same.

The "reach" label is a very overused term. Maybe a lot of GMs had Stolarz projected higher than other players. The GMs and coaches that have NHL jobs don't come out and say "this guy is a 3rd rounder."

Its all speculation and its all based on opinion from our standpoint.

This day in age is much different than even 15 years ago. Everything is instant. My time from Vancouver has been gone for awhile (but may soon be returning). When there, I watched allot more junior hockey (including down the corridor in Seattle and Portland). The two I trust now are Jammer and FC.

That said, Timmonen was a 10th round draft pick.

• Like 1