Philly.Com Article - 5 Reasons the Flyers Are a Better Team

Guest idahophilly

One more gem: "Had Philly added no defenseman and still lost Carle, not to mention his potential $5.5 million cap hit, I would still be confident the Flyers improved defensively."

I don't think that this writer liked Carle much. :D

"Matt Carle was the Flyers worst player in 2011-12 and somehow got worse in the playoffs."

Not sure that I can agree with that statement, but he was certainly overrated by many.

Not the 'worst' but had some major issues. Not sure I agree about the D-being better but it probably didn't really get worse either.

Not the 'worst' but had some major issues. Not sure I agree about the D-being better but it probably didn't really get worse either.

I think our D is much better than it was at the start of last season.

A full season with Grossmann & now Schenn means our D just got WAY more physical.

The more I think about it, the more I like the JvR trade.

Like Andy says, I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about Carle...not that he was great, but to say just losing him makes the D better is silly statement to make. I agree that no way in hell do I sign Carle for 5.5/year. Ditto with Jagr and 4.5 orwhatever it was.

Are they better right now? I dunno, but like I said on numerous threads I didn't want anything to do with deals that had us shipping out youngsters, or a FA signing that would necessitate dumping salary. For once, management ignored its addiction to making big moves consequences be damned. And for that I'm happy.....well wait, Homer did offer Parise 13 years/$100 mil didn't he....ok well I'm glad that didn't happen. Suter and Parise are nice players, but they were overpaid due to a weak market. Thank Jebus they didn't didn't sign with the Pens.

Give these kids another year to gel, see who's who and where the pieces can fit. I would expect a bigger splash next summer, with Kimmo likely in his last year and a stronger UFA market. We're 37 years without a Cup, I don't mind spending this one trying something "different".

Edit:

"It sounds petty, but a player who grew up rooting for the Rangers and, even worse, the Yankees, will never get what it means to wear the orange and black."

That alone makes the JVR trade a win :)

Eh, for the most part, if I printed that article, I wouldn't wipe my butt with it.

I've seen much better writing on this site. There are some things I agree with (I hate Leighton but hadn't thought of the "they won't cheer for bozo" angle), and some I don't (Carle). But for the most part, the writing is fairly juvenile.

• Like 2

That is Bleacher Report not Philly.com! I never read that crap.

Me either and I found at least two of his points complete bs. You get better points from 90% of the fans / poster5s here (including other teams posters) than bleacher report and this one particular.

Edited by Vanflyer
  • Like 1

Interesting read... as most have already said the author obviously was not a Carle fan. The bleacher report might be the worst when it comes to hockey articles... dare i say more than Ek?

I believe they are also written by fans.... not sure i agree but a worthy read for Bleachers drivel....

I don't think that this writer liked Carle much. :D

That much is clear. It's also clear that he has never seen Luke Schenn pass a puck. He should wait til he's seen him pass a puck before he renders judgement on "better"

Ah, but what do I know? I'm sure I exaggerate the importance of moving that little black rubber thing towards the other team's net.

• Like 2

Interesting read... as most have already said the author obviously was not a Carle fan. The bleacher report might be the worst when it comes to hockey articles... dare i say more than Ek?

I believe they are also written by fans.... not sure i agree but a worthy read for Bleachers drivel....

Where do I sign up to write posts for them?

Pretty sure a number of us could do at least as good of a job.

"Matt Carle was the Flyers worst player in 2011-12 and somehow got worse in the playoffs.

His defensive presence was non-existent, his positioning was atrocious, he is too small to go into corners and win a puck battle (remember how bad the breakout looked?) and unless he was confused as to which jersey he was wearing his sub-standard decision making lead to his becoming a turnover machine."

Wow. How spot on. Tampa Bay is in deep do do....

he is too small to go into corners and win a puck battle

Plays small in the corners, perhaps. But too small (6' 205) is ridiculous. I guess Bourdon will not amount to anything as he is the same size. Gustafson is a mini-might next to Carle. Timmonen is smaller as well.

That is all that I needed to know about that "article". Considering that 4 other teams were interested in Carle at 5m, I would not say he is a slouch.

He was right on not overspending. And from what you guys have largely said Bryz has a fragile confidence and needs a less threatening backup... But Leighton kind of takes it a little further than non-threatening. Definitely cheap though.

Way wrong on Carle, as his stats even showed better play without Pronger than with, and numbers better than Suter's in a lot of ways. 25 points better 5vs5 the past three seasons.

You DID improve physical defense though with Schenn . THAT I agree with. And not trading away your youth in a knee jerk.

I dunno I'd say poorly written and 50/50 accuracy at best.

Timmonen is smaller as well.

People keep saying that. He's not really. He's just relatively short. He weighs 200 lbs. How is that "small"?

wrong on Carle, as his stats even showed better play without Pronger than with,

OMG, you don't say?!?!

Edited by Podein25

People keep saying that. He's not really. He's just relatively short. He weighs 200 lbs. How is that "small"? OMG, you don't say?!?!

Did you know that Carle's stats without Pronger are better than he had with him? ;) LOL Sorry... I sound like a broken record on it, but I keep seeing people say the opposite no matter how often it's said.

I agree on Timonen though.. his size isn't the issue. His heart is there and he hits, he's just slowing down and needs to shave a little ice time to make the most of his abilities. I think he's still got what it takes to be a second pairing D man.

he's just slowing down and needs to shave a little ice time to make the most of his abilities. I think he's still got what it takes to be a second pairing D man.

Agree 100%. People are writing him off to soon. He needs to play less minutes, especially less hard minutes, but not a lot. He's got more in the tank than people realize. Schenn and Grossman will help eat up some of those hard minutes. Timonen can still play all the PP1 minutes, where he often makes great smart little plays, and prolly less PK minutes.

• Like 1