Per Sportsnet: Doan options Phoe, Pens, Detroit, Vancouver

Guest jammer2

Don't have a link, just heard this on Sportsnet. According to Doan's agent, his first preference is still Phoenix (no surpirse here). If that fails, 11 different teams are currently pitching offers. Of those, Doan is said to have *mutual* interest in Pittsburgh (UGGGHHH), Detroit and Vancouver. Should be interesting, huh? No mention of the Flyers in this story :(

Don't have a link, just heard this on Sportsnet. According to Doan's agent, his first preference is still Phoenix (no surpirse here). If that fails, 11 different teams are currently pitching offers. Of those, Doan is said to have *mutual* interest in Pittsburgh (UGGGHHH), Detroit and Vancouver. Should be interesting, huh? No mention of the Flyers in this story :(

Yeah not as concerned about him signing in Pitt since they traded one of their best, if not best centers in Staal...

...it will take a toll on them replacing him.

And they have MAF in net still...

...the only guy Bryz can outshine....

Edit: Staal was also their best forward against us...the Flyers just had no answer for him...glad he's gone....

Edited by OccamsRazor

Doan knows Bryz all to well and does not to see any more of Bryz softies in the back of his net. (just my opinion of course).

Oooh! Let's speculate!

Doan doesn't want to play with the guy who turned his franchise around and got him to the playoffs for the first time in five years because he wants to prove he can do it himself and not be in Bryz's shadow.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

I dunno PHX did win the division without him and went on to the WCF only to lose to the eventual Champs while they never got out of the 1st round with the Universe in net (and he had absolutely stunk out the joint vs DET the year before he came to the Flyers). Whether or not that has to do with Bryz is obviously up for debate but those are the facts...

I am kidding about Doan as I am a confessed Bryz hater and I take shots at him whenever I can as I never wanted him here to begin with and hate to see my beloved Flyers shoot themselves in the foot by hampering themselves with Bryz and his outrageous contract.

• Like 1

I never wanted him here to begin with and hate to see my beloved Flyers shoot themselves in the foot by hampering themselves with Bryz and his outrageous contract.

I believe the phrase you're looking for here is "shoot themselves in the face 51 million times" TM@

perhaps his greatest moment...

Arnott anybody?

I guess I will edit my original post since nobody bit on it.

Jason Arnott 6'5" 220 lbs

Consistant 20-30 goal scorer over his career. Had 17 last year. Could replace Jagr's goals. I think he would be a good veteran addition. This only if we don't get Doan, which doesn't look too good now.

Edited by TimKerrFan12

I'd be surprised if the Pens went after him. I like Doan but I don't know if they'd consider him a good linemate for Crosby.

Doan is a good linemate for any center. I hope he stays west rather than Pit.

• Like 1

@TimKerrFan12 I can't see Arnott fitting. He can't play wing, and at center, he would just stunt the growth of the kids. Plus, has gotten considerably slower his past few years. Good veteran presence, but I can't see why the Flyers would add cap space at center...really, it's the only postion *we* are set at.

• Like 1

@TimKerrFan12 I can't see Arnott fitting. He can't play wing, and at center, he would just stunt the growth of the kids. Plus, has gotten considerably slower his past few years. Good veteran presence, but I can't see why the Flyers would add cap space at center...really, it's the only postion *we* are set at.

Jammer, the Flyers need a 4th centre who is good on faceoffs, I was hoping they would have signed Jeff Halpren who was 58.3% on faceoffs last year. I know Arnott is over 50% which would be beneficial for the Flyers and you can limit his minutes.

Jammer, the Flyers need a 4th centre who is good on faceoffs, I was hoping they would have signed Jeff Halpren who was 58.3% on faceoffs last year. I know Arnott is over 50% which would be beneficial for the Flyers and you can limit his minutes.

Young guys only get better with reps. Real game reps are invaluable.

I would try to find the answer in training camp from within. I know Welly has played some center, was pretty good at taking draws in the OHL. Not sure how that would translate to the NHL, but he's just one example of how you could get it done. You'd think between Giroux, Briere, Couturier, B.Schenn, Talbot, Wellwood (just throwing him in the mix) that we could come up with the answer. Of course, the only two really even close to 4th line material are Talbot and Welly. Talbot is to valuable to have tolling on the 4th line. This is part of the reason I wanted Zenopka, would have been a perfect fit and made the team harder to play against.

This is part of the reason I wanted Zenopka, would have been a perfect fit and made the team harder to play against.

If they'd signed Konopka, they would have had to drop Shelley (WAIVE SHELLEY NOWTM)

Aside from the "good in the room" trope, I don't see any point to the $1.1M cap hole.

@radoran Honestly...I find it hard to believe Shelley is still on the roster. He sticks better than Riley Cote, which is saying something. If he's on the roster come Oct, I will have to question both Homer's will to win and his sanity.

• Like 1

@radoran Honestly...I find it hard to believe Shelley is still on the roster. He sticks better than Riley Cote, which is saying something. If he's on the roster come Oct, I will have to question both Homer's will to win and his sanity.

What does Shelley's wife look like? Maybe we have been overlooking the obvious reasons he is still here...either that or he has pics of Homer hanging with Jerry Sandusky at the Yearly N.A.M.B.L.A. conference...........

Yeah not as concerned about him signing in Pitt since they traded one of their best, if not best centers in Staal...

...it will take a toll on them replacing him.

And they have MAF in net still...

...the only guy Bryz can outshine....

Edit: Staal was also their best forward against us...the Flyers just had no answer for him...glad he's gone....

I understand why some folks thought Staal should've been kept before Crosby, all based on the likelihood of injury... But you can't seriously think Staal is a better center than Crosby or Malkin?!

As for MAF he had one really bad series ... You can say Bryz outshines him there if you want but that's about it. Fleury's Stanley Cup ring has a little more sparkle than Mr. Universe's empty hand. Lol ;)

Doan is a good linemate for any center. I hope he stays west rather than Pit.

Don't get me wrong I love Doan as a player. I just don't know if his wheels are ideal for Crosby's speed of play anymore. He has lots to offer any team, but Sid needs a line mate with skills and that can keep up. That's what I saw so much in Parise.

Don't get me wrong I love Doan as a player. I just don't know if his wheels are ideal for Crosby's speed of play anymore. He has lots to offer any team, but Sid needs a line mate with skills and that can keep up. That's what I saw so much in Parise.

Doan can't keep up with Crosby?

That's almost silly, Crosby won with Bill Guerin on his wing , I actually think Crosby would benefit from having an older established player around, I don't know if he gets too wound up or what but I find 87's leadership skills to be inconsistent at best. A player like Doan may help to keep the room on an even keel when the best player gets caught up with his emotions. Doan unquestionably has the ability to play on Sid's wing and has some intangibles that may really benefit the team.

Doan can't keep up with Crosby?

That's almost silly, Crosby won with Bill Guerin on his wing , I actually think Crosby would benefit from having an older established player around, I don't know if he gets too wound up or what but I find 87's leadership skills to be inconsistent at best. A player like Doan may help to keep the room on an even keel when the best player gets caught up with his emotions. Doan unquestionably has the ability to play on Sid's wing and has some intangibles that may really benefit the team.

They're not looking for another Guerin or they'd have kept... Well... Guerin! ;). I think they're searching for a younger talent and have been for some time. That's why they got Neal... But when Crosby got hurt he clicked so well with Malkin what do ya do? All this talk of Ryan and Nash... Or even Semin... All with talents I feel are more in line with what Shero is looking for skill wise. Doan is a great player and leader... I just don't think he brings the specific skill set I'd like to see on Crosby's wing.

I understand why some folks thought Staal should've been kept before Crosby, all based on the likelihood of injury... But you can't seriously think Staal is a better center than Crosby or Malkin?!

As for MAF he had one really bad series ... You can say Bryz outshines him there if you want but that's about it. Fleury's Stanley Cup ring has a little more sparkle than Mr. Universe's empty hand. Lol ;)

Bryz has the same number of championship rings that MAF does: One

I think the other poster was trying to make is the Flyers didn't have an answer for Staal. A lot of teams didn't have an answer for Staal considering they had to match up centres to go against Malkin and Crosby which meant teams had no one to match Staal. He's a very good two way player who will definitely benefit being the second line centre for Carolina instead of being the third line centre for Pittsburgh. It seems Staal got tired of being the 3rd line centre and wanted a chance for more offensive responsibilities so no matter what Pittsburgh offered he would have left after this coming season anyways plus getting a chance to play with his older brother didn't hurt. It wouldn't surprise me if Marc Staal joins the brothers in Carolina when his contract is up with the Rangers in 3 years. Anyways, Pittsburgh will miss Staal.

• Like 1

You can say Bryz outshines him there if you want but that's about it.

I can't disagree enough with you there.....Bryz merely stunk less than Fluery in what is undoubtedly Fluery's worst series ever. Fluery did not get much defensive help that series either and even though the Flyers won, even Flyer fans knew in their heart of hearts that they were not advancing any further with that goaltending. Bryz did play better the next series but no where near good enough to win or steal a game.