Talbot Hit In The Face No Call

Guest FlyersFan4Life

http://www.csnphilly...3472&feedID=704

NRISE, Fla. -- Max Talbot wasn’t just banged up after Sunday’s 3-2 win ( “I was not able to get an explanation [from the referees]. I was looking for my tooth,” Talbot said. “There was blood everywhere, so I couldn’t really talk. But I would have liked to hear what he had to say.”

Generally, a high-sticking call warrants a two-minute minor. If blood is drawn, an automatic double-minor is assigned – no matter whether the perpetrator had any intent. And yet, Talbot got no call despite a lengthy discussion between captain Chris Pronger and referee Stephane Auger.

What makes the lack of a call even stranger is that Talbot himself served a double-minor for high-sticking early in the third period. Talbot did hit Panthers defenseman Brian Campbell in the mouth, and Campbell did bleed, but only barely at best.

Talbot, meanwhile, sported a swollen lip during his postgame interview, speaking slowly and deliberately, swirling his tongue around what was left of his damaged tooth.

“I find funny that I not even clip a guy in the face in the third, and he bites his lip and I get four minutes,” Talbot said. “And then something like this happens and there’s four refs on the ice – I know they’re human and they don’t see everything, but there’s something not right.”

I just dont' get the nhl sometimes certain calls are penalties sometimes they are not. just too much inconsistency and it put the players at risk.

“I find funny that I not even clip a guy in the face in the third, and he bites his lip and I get four minutes,” Talbot said. “And then something like this happens and there’s four refs on the ice – I know they’re human and they don’t see everything, but there’s something not right.”

who didn't see blood pouring out of Max's mouth?

Did anyone see the actual replay? They didn't show it on the broadcast I was watching...

I saw and it was clear as day on the high stick on the left side of the net. I cannot believe the officials did not see it.

I am not going to start the refs hate us or anything, but that is really bad that they missed that one.

I don't think the Ref's have anything against Philly in particular. I think we as hockey fans are unfortunate enough to have one of the WORST and most INCONSISTENT group of officials in ALL of professional sports (mind you I haven't watched the NBA since like 95 or something.....)

I respect what NHL officials do on a night to night basis, game is very fast, yadd yadda yadda. but come on.....there are instances were it literally makes our sport look bad the way they call games.....and the CONSTANT changes to rules and penalties and such only makes it worse. which is a direct reflection of the way this league has been handled for the last 10 years in my opinion.

...............FIRE BETTMAN!!!!!!...................:)

SUNRISE, Fla. - With his entire bottom lip sliced open down the middle after being tomahawked by Panthers defenseman Jason Garrison late in the third period last night, Max Talbot was irate. But he didn't have time to ask referee Stephane Auger for an explanation about why Garrison didn't receive a high-sticking penalty.

That's because Talbot was too busy searching for the other half of his left front tooth on the BankAtlantic Center ice.

"I took a hockey stick right across the face," Talbot said. "I was not able to get an explanation, I was looking for my tooth and there was blood everywhere. But I would like to be able to hear what he has to say."

Talbot never found the other half of his tooth, and was left with a gashed lip that required stitches to close.

Flyers captain Chris Pronger relayed the message that Auger - and the other referee, Kelly Sutherland, and two linesmen - did not see Garrison's blatantly obvious whack to the face.

Somehow, Talbot was given a 4 minute, double-minor penalty earlier in the third period for high-sticking Panthers defenseman Brian Campbell.

"I find it funny that I not even clip a guy in the face in the third and he bites his lip and I get 4 minutes," Talbot said. "Then, something like this happens and there are four refs on the ice and they don't even see it. I know they are human and they don't see everything, but I find it ironic."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20111114_Flyers__Talbot_looking_for_lip_service.html

Sometimes these things happen away from the play, so it would be understandable if the refs just never saw it. In this instance, the play occurred where the puck was being played, so at least 1 of those officials had to be looking in that direction. It just shows the complete ineptitude of some of these officials, though I'm not at all shocked since Auger was one of the officials. He may be one of the worst ones in the NHL.

Edited by Adamflyers

He is a stinker. I used to keep track of them but too many now to waste time on. There was a time they had numbers and it was easier to check them out on their website.

Gone are the days when the old timers let the teams play.

Having said all that one of our guys drew a penalty when the opposing player hit his stick. Called slashing?

I hope the two Refs did not make the trip to Carolina.

Bert and Pags describe it how I saw it too. The officiating the entire game was pretty inconsistent. Even the Florida announcers were saying just let the guys play. Looks like the League still has some work to do.......

I complained about the officiating in another thread. I'm all for letting the guys play, and I'm also for consistent officiating. At the end of the day though, I hate to admit it but I'd rather consistent officiating OVER letting them play. The rules are the rules and if you break a rule, the penalty HAS to be called. Nothing bothers me more than penalties being let go one minute and called another in the same game. It's like the strikezone, then need to establish what they're going to call and call it every time. And stop the stupid "he's got a rep" crap. Rinaldo did NOT charge what's his name at the beginning of the game. Bradley absolutely should've gotten an instigator penalty (btw, I hate the instigator penalty but as long as it is in the rule books....) Talbot high sticked a guy and he bled a little fine... but how the heck wasn't it called the other way? Because neither ref saw it? So what? I think the evidence is there that something happened. I doubt the refs could honestly say he highsticked himself.

I'd love to see the NHL make wholesale changes with the way the game is officiated.

NHL officiating is horrendous - oh, heck, major sports (and college sports and, well, sports in general) are, too.

These guys are just people. They don't see everything. They don't call everything. They aren't perfect.

My problem more often than not is with the second ref on the ice making the call from out of position when the other ref has the better line on the play.

I think a possible solution in this instance is to allow reply for assigning penalties (at a break) when blood/obvious injury is involved. Just because a player "gets away with it" in the speed of the game shouldn't be an excuse to avoid the penalty. This stick to Talbot's mouth is a classic example. Then to give HIM a double minor is simply adding insult to injury.

Obviously some logistics would be involved.

Guys definitely need to keep better track of their sticks regardless.