Jody Shelley Waiver/Release Countdown

Guest Samifan

There are also non-Phantom players that count as well, I'm pretty sure I saw some on the contract list last year. I don't know how that is determined, though.

I thought so too...a couple from the ECHL.

I think you are thinking things a bit unclear. First, if the Flyers waive him and nobody claims him, the Flyers would have to pay his full salary (assuming he is assigned to the Phantoms)- which is $900k. Yet, they would absorb ZERO cap hit.

Now if Shelley was to be waived > unclaimed > plays for phantoms and the Flyers recall him (one can only assume massive injuries) and another team can claim him upon re-entry. At that point, the acquiring team and Flyers would split his salary AND cap hit. If the acquiring team sends said player to the AHL (exposing him again to waivers) and he clears, then the 50-50 salary and cap split hit is off the books.

So, in short, the Flyers could easily waive Shelley without absorbing a cap hit for the big club. The only time the 50-50 split comes into play is re-entry waivers and Shelley is claimed off another team.

good to know..thanks for the info..maybe there is some hope then of getting rid of Shelley...