Bourdon, Gustafsson, or Manning...

Guest SoCalFlyfan

MAB simply on experience. He held his own there for a while last season and with a more permanent role I could see him getting comfortable there as a regular.

I'd like to see Mad Dog get some good looks as well. As for his chances, I'm not sure, just stating my desire

@SoCalFlyfan Manning has some promise, but as far as next year goes, if we see Brandon Manning, we have multiple injuies on defense. I see it coming down to Gus and Bourdon, with Bourdon having a slight edge. I guess if any of the three look wicked good in training camp, they could leap frog the compititon. Of course the neat part of this is the Phantoms already have 1/3 of their defense stabalized....good news for whichever 2 green rookies are in net down there.

• Like 2

@SoCalFlyfan

I think who has waiver exemption status will be the deciding factor here. Of the three only Bourdon is not waiver exempt, thus if not traded I expect him to be on the Flyers' roster. Gustafsson and Manning will then play with the Phantoms.

The player I'm most curious to see where he ends up is Syvret. If your Flyers d-men are Coburn, Timonen, Meszaros, Grossman, Gervais, and Schenn. Then do they carry 8 d-men on the roster in Bourdon and Lilja? Or does Lilja get waived and Syvret makes the roster?

@hf101

It's an interesting dynamic for sure with the waiver exempt thing as you point out. I see Syvret and Gus as very similar in styles of play, so Syvret could be the one if MAB has injury issues that delay his season or otherwise push his training back.

Of the three only Bourdon is not waiver exempt,

@hf101

I did not know that.....yet another reason I get most of my hockey analysis here. Honestly I would have answered the OPs question with a Gus, but given that information I don't see how it won't be Bourdon

Which one of these guys cracks the lineup and becomes a regular in 2012/2013 ?

I liked what I saw in Brandon Manning in limited use. What are his chances ??

I like all 3 but I think Gus gets the start because of his mobility and puck moving skills.. also he blocked alot of shots during the playoffs which showed me alot about him..

Gus gets the start because of his mobility and puck moving skills..also he blocked alot of shots

But isn't he soft like Carle (who, by the way also did all of those things, only better)?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think MAB gets the 6th dman at least at the start of the season. That just means that Gus and Manning both will play top d pairing minutes with the Phantoms. There is no substitute for actual TOI for seasoning a player. Injuries as jammer said will truly dictate which rink these guys are skating at.

I like all 3 but I think Gus gets the start because of his mobility and puck moving skills.. also he blocked alot of shots during the playoffs which showed me alot about him..

Yea, Gus showed some poise out there in the Pittsburgh series and reminded me a little of a younger Timmonen.

Bourdon is solid and becoming more reliable

and

Manning looked like a pro in his first game. I vividly remember thinking "who the hell is this guy" and you never really say that about a defenseman unless the puck is getting slammed into our own net.

Either way...it's a good problem to have.

• Like 1

Which one of these guys cracks the lineup and becomes a regular in 2012/2013 ?

I liked what I saw in Brandon Manning in limited use. What are his chances ??

Oliver Lauridsen has a real good chance to crack the lineup...especially considering he is a right handed shot as well...other right hand shots in the system....

Blake Kessel, Matt Mangene, . Tyler Hostetter, Nicholas Luukko, Colin Suellentrop...

....so with all those prospects and that not including this past draft class the Flyers should be able to find another right handed shot for the blueline...right?

Man Shane Harper certainly looks like he has been hitting the weights hard kid is chiseled....by far the most muscle i've seen on any propsect regardless of the position.

Now it has him list at 195 but man he is solid.

And by looking at the other kids in comparison the all have small upper bodies...boys need to hit the weights harder and get that eating right.

http://www.phantomshockey.com/pages/news/articles/20120709.asp

Hopefully Harper uses that weight gain to his advantage.