Mark my words...

Guest orange_crush

I always thought Bryz was a good goalie. When you guys signed him I was worried. I'm still worried he'll be his old self this coming season. I suppose it's easier to think more of him from the outside.

He doesn't have to be Jonathan Quick(although that wouldn't hurt :D ) but he certainly has to play better than last year...just some consistency would be nice and go a long way just to give the team in front of him some confidence that he will bail them out when mishaps occur...cause we know they will it's human nature...he just needs to be sound positionally and MAKE THE STOPS HE IS SUPPOSE TO MAKE...

...and anything else good will be icing on the cake...he surely needs to work on his lateral movement s and his glove hand.

Ot: polaris even though you are a Pens fans you seem to have your wits about you.

And enjoy your post here even though we won't always agree.

Your team make some good depth moves to shore up your blueline even though they might not be seen next year the future looks good for you guys, also yall moving Michalek was smart...he was soft..yet enjoyed the Flyers playing against him wish yall would have kept him. :D

He doesn't have to be Jonathan Quick(although that wouldn't hurt :D ) but he certainly has to play better than last year...just some consistency would be nice and go a long way just to give the team in front of him some confidence that he will bail them out when mishaps occur...cause we know they will it's human nature...he just needs to be sound positionally and MAKE THE STOPS HE IS SUPPOSE TO MAKE...

...and anything else good will be icing on the cake...he surely needs to work on his lateral movement s and his glove hand.

Ot: polaris even though you are a Pens fans you seem to have your wits about you.

And enjoy your post here even though we won't always agree.

Your team make some good depth moves to shore up your blueline even though they might not be seen next year the future looks good for you guys, also yall moving Michalek was smart...he was soft..yet enjoyed the Flyers playing against him wish yall would have kept him. :D

Thanks for the compliment. I think our d-corps was very good last year despite Michalek and Martin, until the playoffs. Michalek was a great d man in Phoenix but didn't work out here. For some reason your team seemed to solve our defense all year long, and you guys were the only team we really couldn't put it to.

Thanks for the compliment. I think our d-corps was very good last year despite Michalek and Martin, until the playoffs. Michalek was a great d man in Phoenix but didn't work out here. For some reason your team seemed to solve our defense all year long, and you guys were the only team we really couldn't put it to.

You guys need some more grit back there besides Orpik and Lehtang...

...here to hoping ya'll don't find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

I also thought Tanner Glass was a good value signing..very underrated hockey player.. surprised the Jets let him go..

Niko Hovinen...

...he'll be the starter for the Phantoms (or at least be given every chance to win it) and if /when he has a good year (i know i'm being optimistic here which is not allowed...don't report me :D ) it would be expected the following season for him to replace Leighton he'll be turning 26 that season which by goaltenders standards should be more that mature enough and with a season to adjust his game to the north american style...backup in the NHL would be the next step...i believe the Phantoms will have a hell of a team this next up coming season...

...now i know that a lot has to happen between now and then but it seems that may be the plan.

I remember when the Flyers drafted this kid..but since the Phantoms moved to Adirondek or whatever I never see any of these guys play...hopefully he's a good one..

Clemmenson, Roloson, and Montoya are all upgrades from Leighton...in todays NHL you need 2 viable starting goalies...we hardly have one..

for the record Rolo can be a sensational goalie when he gets hot..Clemenson and Ellis are both legit starters as well...

Well, you must be a much better judge of talent than all of the scouts in the NHL, because none of them think the above cast are legit starters.

Clemmensen doesn't even think he is a legit starter himself -- that's why he signed a 2 year contract to be the backup in Florida.

Roloson WAS a legit starter, quite a few years ago. He'll be 43 when the season starts. He's coming off a season where he had a .886 save percentage and a whopping 3.7 GAA. Rolosn hasn't played starting goalie minutes since 08-09. Since then he's split the goaltending duties with his teammate. He's old and slow. Not that Leighton is a major upgrade, but to call him a "legit starter" is just not seeing it straight. Not to mention, he would cost 2-3 times more than Leighton.

Dan Ellis, a decent back up. Similar numbers to Leighton over his career. Never been legit starter and likely never will be. You could argue that he's perhaps a better back up choice over Leighton, and I wouldn't argue that except to say perhaps you've seen Leighton more. But, again, Ellis a legit starter? Far from it. He's certainly not a significant upgrade from Leighton.

Really, the only guy that would have been a better choice, the Flyers already traded away.

• Like 1

I remember when the Flyers drafted this kid..but since the Phantoms moved to Adirondek or whatever I never see any of these guys play...hopefully he's a good one..

They didn't draft Hovinen the Wid did and never signed him.

He was a free agent whom the Flyers signed, at the time they Backsrtom, Harding, Hackett and Anton Khudobin that hey since have traded to Boston Bruins.

I always thought Bryz was a good goalie. When you guys signed him I was worried. I'm still worried he'll be his old self this coming season. I suppose it's easier to think more of him from the outside.

You don't see him coming up small as much as we do.

Bryz is one of the biggest overrated frauds in the NHL. I don't know how he got that far in his career, in all honesty.

Looking back, I really think Robert Esche and Boucher (yes, Boucher) were better goalies. I know at the very least they certainly *contributed* more to the Flyers' success, even though neither won the Cup.

I want to think of anything positive to cling to when it comes to Bryz. But I just can't see how or why he would suddenly improve his game. He has fundemental, rudimentary deficiencies in his game and I just don't see why would those deficiencies get fixed at this point in his career.

I do agree with Aziz though... He is an unquestioned #1 based purely on how much money he makes. Who backes him up doesn't matter at this point. Even he proves his incompetence time and time again, Laviolette just about *has* to give him the majority of the starts. They either have to play him and play him a lot, or they just shouldn't have him on the team period. There is nothing in between.

Edited by Mad Dog

@orange_crush

Agreed there.. I like Glass. I guess he's going to fill in as some third line grit.

@Spinorama

@doom88

@Mad Dog

Fleury definitely gets bad streaks but I see what all of you mean about Bryz being dramatic with bad timing and soft goals. Fleury does it too sometimes but overall he's pretty steady.

• Like 1

I'm not negative I'm realistic...being a long time Flyers fan how can you not be negative every enduring decades of this BS..

Perhaps not negative, but allot of your posts have a negative / cynical tone. Rare is it to see a post where you way "wow, positive, positive, etc.".

Reminds me a bit of the king of negativity: RochFlyer.

I'm not negative I'm realistic...being a long time Flyers fan how can you not be negative every enduring decades of this BS..

Perhaps not negative, but allot of your posts have a negative / cynical tone. Rare is it to see a post where you way "wow, positive, positive, etc.".

fair enough Van but after almost 40 years and no cup isn't it warranted to be bitter? even the Lightning and the Canes get lucky enough to win a cup for christ;s sakes...

fair enough Van but after almost 40 years and no cup isn't it warranted to be bitter? even the Lightning and the Canes get lucky enough to win a cup for christ;s sakes...

Never would i have believed that would happen before my Flyers did it...never in a million years....

Edit: You can throw LA in there too...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Certainly. I am not knocking you at all- so don't think that way. Poking a bit of fun, but nothing more. Be proud of who you are and don't pay attention to blowhards like me!

Certainly. I am not knocking you at all- so don't think that way. Poking a bit of fun, but nothing more. Be proud of who you are and don't pay attention to blowhards like me!

it's all good Van..I really don't care what people think about me but it amazes me how surprised people are when I'm skeptical or bitter.. I'm a Flyers fan for christ's sake..I've seen it all, heard it all, was promised it all but still no cup...I can't imagine everyone is satisfied just making the playoffs every year..

• Like 1

I really don't care what people think about me
I'm a Flyers fan for christ's sake

You're ok in my books O_C, always have been. You don't pull punches but you can also take one. As you said, Flyer fan.

Never would i have believed that would happen before my Flyers did it...never in a million years....

Edit: You can throw LA in there too...

Anaheim is NOT Los Angeles. Ooops...another addition to the list then. ;)

• Like 1