Tomas Holmstrom will only sign with Detroit

Guest Irishjim

tomasholmstromnashvillepredatorsvdetroitiiiff24jhqvl.jpg?w=320

Ryan Dadoun

Jul 13, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT

There are reportedly teams out there that are interested in signing Tomas Holmstrom, but he doesn’t want to play for them.

“It’s playing in Detroit, or nowhere else,” Holmstrom said,

according to the Detroit News.

It remains to be seen which of those two options he and the Detroit Red Wings will end up agreeing upon.

For now, Holmstrom is training like he does every summer, but he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of retirement. However, it remains to be seen if Detroit will have a place for him in their lineup when he comes to a decision.

Holmstrom, who will turn 40 during the 2012-13 campaign, averaged just 11:52 minutes per game last season. It’s also worth noting that Detroit signed

Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo this summer. Still, Holmstrom thinks he can still crack Detroit’s lineup if he decides to extend his career.

“If I play my game, play my role, I know I can help this team,” Holmstrom said. “It’s great to see Sammy (Samuelsson) back, he’s going to help our team. And you need a guy like Tootoo, a disturber, a guy who can get in the other team’s face. Those guys will help.”

Holmstrom is expected to talk to Wings GM Ken Holland in another week or two. At that point, the two sides should come a decision regarding Holmstrom’s future.

I loved Homer, he got more with less than about any player in the game. He couldnt skae, couldnt play defense, but he had a big butt that he put in goaltenders faces and a heart the size of a small state and played to his limited strengths and to our hearts. Youth must be served, it is time for him to retire, he will be missed, he is the last of the 97 and 98 team, and I have so many wonderful memories and thank him for his years of service but it is time to leave the crease and head for home.

tomasholmstromnashvillepredatorsvdetroitiiiff24jhqvl.jpg?w=320

Ryan Dadoun

Jul 13, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT

There are reportedly teams out there that are interested in signing Tomas Holmstrom, but he doesn’t want to play for them.

“It’s playing in Detroit, or nowhere else,” Holmstrom said,

according to the Detroit News.

It remains to be seen which of those two options he and the Detroit Red Wings will end up agreeing upon.

For now, Holmstrom is training like he does every summer, but he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of retirement. However, it remains to be seen if Detroit will have a place for him in their lineup when he comes to a decision.

Holmstrom, who will turn 40 during the 2012-13 campaign, averaged just 11:52 minutes per game last season. It’s also worth noting that Detroit signed

Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo this summer. Still, Holmstrom thinks he can still crack Detroit’s lineup if he decides to extend his career.

“If I play my game, play my role, I know I can help this team,” Holmstrom said. “It’s great to see Sammy (Samuelsson) back, he’s going to help our team. And you need a guy like Tootoo, a disturber, a guy who can get in the other team’s face. Those guys will help.”

Holmstrom is expected to talk to Wings GM Ken Holland in another week or two. At that point, the two sides should come a decision regarding Holmstrom’s future.

Wow what a career 15 years for a 10th round pick. That is some scouting...