Flyers goalie coach Jeff Reese saw something special in Cal Heeter...

Guest OccamsRazor

....i know it's a stretch but after their recent success with Read maybe the Flyers have found another diamond in the rough.

Kid is still yound and has alot to prove still...but he has good size(6'4" 195) which you just can't teach...hoping they have struck gold again...an article on the prospect.

He will push Hovinen for the starter spot.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20120713_Flyers_have_a_confident_goalie_prospect_in_Heeter.html

....i know it's a stretch but after their recent success with Read maybe the Flyers have found another diamond in the rough.

Kid is still yound and has alot to prove still...but he has good size(6'4" 195) which you just can't teach...hoping they have struck gold again...an article on the prospect.

He will push Hovinen for the starter spot.

http://www.philly.co..._in_Heeter.html

Leighton will get lit up in one of his few starts and the Flyers will rush this kid up right away and get his confidence crushed by the end of the season...Flyers don't know how to develop goalies..

Leighton will get lit up in one of his few starts and the Flyers will rush this kid up right away and get his confidence crushed by the end of the season...Flyers don't know how to develop goalies..

I agree with the potential of Leights getting lite up...since the last time we saw him in orange and black he gave up 4 pretty soft goals i can surely seeing the same happen again yet however with Heeter being a four year starter at OSU i thing when the opportunity arrives he will be mature enough to handle it i mean he is already 23.

By the article he is confident enough to grow into the back up position if and when he is called upon...whoever is playing the best between he and Hovinen will get the shot if Leights struggles...

...Leights will be waived (again i know for the 20th time) and return to the goal in the Phantoms however will be the backup with whomever remains behind to be the starter for the Phantoms.

OC

I believe he only played/started for two years at Ohio State. Could be wrong.

Well half of your statement is right he may have only started for 2 year yet played in 4...for a total of 94 games...which to me is a solid college career...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=116655

For comparison (games played only) Tim Thomas only played 140 over 4 years at Vermont.

And in no way am i saying he is going to be Tim Thomas just for comparisons sake.

OR,

I stand corrected. I believe what I recalled from the article was that he started for two years. like some, I do hope he becomes a good goalie. I like the idea of scouring the collegeit teams and signing these undrafted players. Seems we have some decent players secondary to this method.

I agree with the potential of Leights getting lite up...since the last time we saw him in orange and black he gave up 4 pretty soft goals i can surely seeing the same happen again yet however with Heeter being a four year starter at OSU i thing when the opportunity arrives he will be mature enough to handle it i mean he is already 23.

By the article he is confident enough to grow into the back up position if and when he is called upon...whoever is playing the best between he and Hovinen will get the shot if Leights struggles...

...Leights will be waived (again i know for the 20th time) and return to the goal in the Phantoms however will be the backup with whomever remains behind to be the starter for the Phantoms.

I hope your right about Heeter but typically college players have a harder time adjusting to the pro game and we know goalies take a while to develop..23 is young for a goalie..realistically he probably has 4 years of pro experience needed until he's ready to get the call..

So let's get this straight, we have Hovinen at 6'7, Stolarz at 6'5 and Hetter (great name for a goalie btw....just sounds cool) the small fry of the bunch at 6'4....wow, that is some terriffic size for our top 3 goalie prospects....can't *just* *one* of these guys work out???....is that asking to much???...a little bit of hope goes a long way. It's been so long since we developed an all star goalie, I've basically accepted the fact I will never live to see one....it just will not happen, it's really a hopless feeling.