Doan offered 4 years

NastyNate

I fear Homer is involved in a bidding war... Oh God I hope not. We should take a deep breath, wait for the new CBA, go for next year´s richer UFA class and go for it uder the new rules. I am not sure how the new CBA will affect the upcoming UFA´s for 2013. With Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds needing new contracts qithin the next year or two, we should really, really not go insane in the summer of 2012...

• Like 1

If Eklund says it isn't, that makes it likely Homer is involved.

That's what I am afraid of. 4 years $30 mil is insane for a 35 year old 30 goal scorer. I would much rather wait until next year to spend the big bucks. Weber, Perry, Getzlaf...

That's what I am afraid of. 4 years $30 mil is insane for a 35 year old 30 goal scorer. I would much rather wait until next year to spend the big bucks. Weber, Perry, Getzlaf...

$7.5 million/year??? Seriously???

Please tell me that's not the Flyers' offer.

I would LOVE to see Doan playing for the Flyers and would LOVE that it would not require us to trade anyone in order to acquire him, but that would be a ridiculous contract. Too much $ for too many years.

Maybe it's the Rangers?

Well, regardless of which team, Doan would be wise to jump on such an offer to secure his financial future. There will be different types of contracts next year.

Yes, would love to see him on the Flyers. Would have been the guy to wake up his sleeping teammates during the Devils-series had he played for the Flyers this year. A 3 year deal at $5 million a year would tops, but $7,5 mill a year for that long? Unreal!

• Like 1

$7.5 million/year??? Seriously???

Please tell me that's not the Flyers' offer.

I would LOVE to see Doan playing for the Flyers and would LOVE that it would not require us to trade anyone in order to acquire him, but that would be a ridiculous contract. Too much $ for too many years.

Maybe it's the Rangers?

3M a year too rich for my blood.

I'm with you guys on behalf of the Red Wings as well. The prices for this years' players are getting not ridiculous, but "fridiculous"! Freaking ridiculous!! If yer CRAZY, MAAAAYBE you give $7.5M for a 1-year deal, if you think Doan'll be enough himself to get you a reasonable chance to raise the chalice next season. (You've honestly gotta be pretty close already, though, if Doan will make that much difference, and if you're that close, you probably don't have the $7.5M to spend, do you?)

I think other than trying to fill support roles, this year's market is just too ridiculous. Having to be patient SUCKS though, but sometimes being patient is EXACTLY the right move. I think that's where the Wings are headed. Stupid to spend like that unless you are THAT close. Maybe even still.

I think other than trying to fill support roles, this year's market is just too ridiculous. Having to be patient SUCKS though, but sometimes being patient is EXACTLY the right move. I think that's where the Wings are headed. Stupid to spend like that unless you are THAT close. Maybe even still.

I really like doan and think he can be THE quality / size RW next Giroux for the next 3 years. A Hartnell-Giroux-Doan line would be a pretty intimidating line of skill plus size (one the wings). But I don't like him for 7.5m. At that price, I might as well go get Nash (though it will cost me assets).

I also think Doan does not go anywhere for just a year. I think he will look for 3 years minimum as he heads towards his sunset.

The ONLY way down would take a 1-year deal is if the team offering it had DAMN good chances of winning the Cup already. He'd only do it to get his name on that thing. Well, I suppose if you offered him $15M...? ;-P

He is NOT worth $7.5M. Just for perspective, that was what Lidstrom made his last season. Second best defenseman of all time. I realize it's apples and oranges, but still.

The fact that Doan's name and the words "$30M" and "4 years" are in the same sentence should tell you all you need to know about this year's UFA market.

YIKES!!

7.5 Mill a year for Shane Doan?!?! Was he really waiting for Phoenix, or is this just a wicked ploy by his agent? Let the first initial wave go, knowing all to well tons of team will have lots of space. When the pickings get slim UFA wise, you suddenly spurn the Yotes and WHAM, BIG BUCKS. His agent just did the math and knew waiting would be beneficial.

I really like doan and think he can be THE quality / size RW next Giroux for the next 3 years. A Hartnell-Giroux-Doan line would be a pretty intimidating line of skill plus size (one the wings). But I don't like him for 7.5m. At that price, I might as well go get Nash (though it will cost me assets).

I also think Doan does not go anywhere for just a year. I think he will look for 3 years minimum as he heads towards his sunset.

At that cap hit, I'd rather Iginla over Nash. Less assets to give up, less cap hell. No way I'd offer Doan near that much.

I'd rather Iginla over Nash.

I haven't been able to watch Iginla much lately. When I lived in Van, got to see him allot. How is his gas tank?? Iginla has more scoring prowess than Doan- so if Doan gets a ridiculous pay day, what is Iginla going to get?

I don't mind either player. Iginla you will have to wait until next summer (or trade for him at the trade deadline). Down you get for salary alone. If we are waiting until next summer, than Corey Perry is the guy I want to go after as my #1 choice.

At that cap hit, I'd rather Iginla over Nash. Less assets to give up, less cap hell. No way I'd offer Doan near that much.

Iginla in his prime and I'd take him over Nash. Now though? I'd really like to see what Nash can do with a star caliber center. I respect Iginla and he's not done, but Nash is prime material and scores 30 without much help. Imagine if he had Crosby or (Heaven forbid ;)) Giroux feeding him?

• Like 1

Iginla in his prime and I'd take him over Nash. Now though? I'd really like to see what Nash can do with a star caliber center. I respect Iginla and he's not done, but Nash is prime material and scores 30 without much help. Imagine if he had Crosby or (Heaven forbid ;)) Giroux feeding him?

I don't want a long term cap killer. Doan and Iginla are short to mid term options, depending on resigning next season. Nash is a life contract.

Talent, I'd love Nash. But, the cost to acquire and commitment in contract is insane.

I don't want a long term cap killer. Doan and Iginla are short to mid term options, depending on resigning next season. Nash is a life contract.

Talent, I'd love Nash. But, the cost to acquire and commitment in contract is insane.

The cost to acquire is what scares me. The cap hit us reality now. Times change, cap goes up, salaries go up.

The cost to acquire is what scares me. The cap hit us reality now. Times change, cap goes up, salaries go up.

Both are important because of initial cost of investment, and how that contract limits you going forward - especially with resigning players. Also, don't be surprised if the cap goes DOWN with the new CBA.

Both are important because of initial cost of investment, and how that contract limits you going forward - especially with resigning players. Also, don't be surprised if the cap goes DOWN with the new CBA.

I'm sure that's what the owners would like. I just read an article where Donald Fehr was stamping his feet about "No salary rollbacks"....we'll see

Nash on Giroux's wing would be insane.

If Homer can pick him up without dealing Schenn or Cooter, he'd be a great fit.