Lock this guy up already...

Guest orange_crush

People say I'm always negative well here is something positive..Claude Giroux..not only is he the best player on the Flyers he might be the best player in the entire NHL..

So why for christ's sakes is he making less money than Hartnell? It's time to lock this guy up for a long term deal...

Give him a 10 year deal worth 8-9 mill a year...this guy is the franchise...

don't let this become a Stamkos saga like in Tampa..

Things aren't always as easy as we'd like them to be...

1) Cap world bud... pretty sure a new contract would eliminate the cheap deal he's on and put us in cap hell before we need to be.

2) He's still RFA so it's not like there's any rush. We'd match any offer given to him and if not... it's going to be a shat load of 1st rounders as compensation.

3) Maybe he's not comfortable negotiating right now.

I know what you're saying, but I'm more worried about other things... like our huge hole in our d-core and the drop of offense!

Bulb, any new deal would kick in at the end of his current deal. You can't renegotiate contracts in the NHL like you can in the NFL, so Claude would still be paid <4 million this year and next.

To the OP: I don't believe you can extend a player's contract until he is in the last year of his current contract. Claude has two years remaining.

but I'm more worried about other things... like our huge hole in our d-core and the drop of offense!

d? yes, i agree

o? no, don't agree. we traded away a ton of scoring last summer and low and behold, others stepped up. with lavy's approach, i wouldn't be surprised if others stepped up again this year. of course i base this on pure speculation but i just don't feel as if they are in as bad a shape as some worry. I feel like last summer we lost more up front than we did this summer.

d? yes, i agree o? no, don't agree. we traded away a ton of scoring last summer and low and behold, others stepped up. with lavy's approach, i wouldn't be surprised if others stepped up again this year. of course i base this on pure speculation but i just don't feel as if they are in as bad a shape as some worry. I feel like last summer we lost more up front than we did this summer.

I would like to think that you are right about the offense but looking at the forwards currently on the roster and it looks bleak to me.

Hartnell will not produce as much as he did last year. I really believe that was a the product of having Giroux and Jagr together.

The points from the dmen are going to be fewer also. Timo's is yet another year older, Carle is gone.... as far as points, it looks bleak here too.

If this roster has no changes for the upcoming year, my guess is they will be fighting for a 5-8 spot on the conference. Just my uneducated guess.

click to enlarge---

post-3-0-78442300-1342454999_thumb.jpg

@orange_crush

Money coming off from harts/timo/shelley and in 2 years, briere will allow Homer to lock up Giroux who will still be an RFA in 14/15.

It's really hard to believe he is only 24 years old.

my guess is they will be fighting for a 5-8 spot on the conference

sweet! last year's Cup was won by an 8th seed!!! :P

that said, I think you might be right about Hartnell.

I'm not sure how much stock I want to put into the D contributing on offense. Unless it's point shots or sweet breakaway feeds, I think I'd be more interested in them making sure they don't get beat on the transition or just shore up the D overall before worrying about jumping in on the play.

you are probably on to something more than I, however, last off season looked bleak in the scoring dept. and I/we were pleasantly surprised... I'm hoping we are all surprised once again!

People say I'm always negative well here is something positive..Claude Giroux..not only is he the best player on the Flyers he might be the best player in the entire NHL..

So why for christ's sakes is he making less money than Hartnell? It's time to lock this guy up for a long term deal...

Give him a 10 year deal worth 8-9 mill a year...this guy is the franchise...

don't let this become a Stamkos saga like in Tampa..

10-12. $110M+. Make him C. The face of the franchise.

• Like 1

Things aren't always as easy as we'd like them to be...

1) Cap world bud... pretty sure a new contract would eliminate the cheap deal he's on and put us in cap hell before we need to be.

2) He's still RFA so it's not like there's any rush. We'd match any offer given to him and if not... it's going to be a shat load of 1st rounders as compensation.

3) Maybe he's not comfortable negotiating right now.

I know what you're saying, but I'm more worried about other things... like our huge hole in our d-core and the drop of offense!

even if you give him 10 mill this year doesn't mean the cap hit will be 10 mill...look at Bryz's contract ect...you spread the money out to make it look good..

If we are to believe the NHL's 5 year max contract proposal (I don't see them moving to far off of that btw), wouldn't it be prudent to strike now, while you can lock him up for the whole career? Don't think we have the cap space, but damn, a few years from now he could cost WAAAAAAY more than a long term deal now. It's not like there should be any fear of the unknown here, he's one of the 5 best players in the league period. There is no risk here, unless you consider his concussion last season a potential problem down the road.

Short term, they lose flexibility and a chance to capitalize on a shrewed contract signing by Homer (did I just type that ?!?!?)....long term, it's really in the best interest of the franchise to lock this guy up long term before he wants the BIG ...BIG money.

Claude is signed for two more years and is an RFA thereafter.

The team cannot give him more money this year. They cannot give him more money until 2014-15. They can only negotiate an extension on the contract in the final year of the current deal.

He's not gong anywhere, doesn't need the C right now and will get a fabulous deal in a year where the cap will likely be higher than it is now.

Claude is signed for two more years and is an RFA thereafter.

The team cannot give him more money this year. They cannot give him more money until 2014-15. They can only negotiate an extension on the contract in the final year of the current deal.

He's not gong anywhere, doesn't need the C right now and will get a fabulous deal in a year where the cap will likely be higher than it is now.

Nailed it.

• Like 1