Bryzgalov interview

i'm not writing Ilya off just yet, i think he'll improve from last year, i like that he was not happy with his performance last year, that interview reads as though he has a good attitude for working on his game and improving his his play. i also don't mind that he thinks of things other than hockey, i think about things other than my job that i do have a passion for doing well.

he's picked a tough row to hoe in this sports market, this team though will be able to win with him if he plays decently.

Thanks for sharing good interview, confirming what i kinda thought in the first place. That he is not as crazy as being made out to be.

Actually pretty decent head on his shoulders and really had no idea of what he was getting into with the Philly media.

Next year will be a different story. Hopefully in Philly's case he can duplicate his best season in Phoenix....now actually doing it i will hold my breath.

i'm not writing Ilya off just yet, i think he'll improve from last year, i like that he was not happy with his performance last year, that interview reads as though he has a good attitude for working on his game and improving his his play. i also don't mind that he thinks of things other than hockey, i think about things other than my job that i do have a passion for doing well.

he's picked a tough row to hoe in this sports market, this team though will be able to win with him if he plays decently.

Mojo, Mojo, Moojoooo!

Did you really say something nice about Bryz? I just finished reading the transcript and.... OMG ..... he sounds grounded, calm and logical with good answers to each question. (but, lets keep that a secret between us). Bryz haters will still hate him even IF he has the cup lifted over his head.... Oh, and how dare you have a "second" thought in your head that isn't job related!!! ;)

This caught my eye...I like to read that!!!

"Yes, people in our city don't like Crosby very much"

Good catch...after thinking about it that is a good sign...thick skin...i like it. Have it...bring it!

Edited by OccamsRazor

He was given a role by the HBO folks and the rest of the media ran with it - including the oh so creative Phlly media. When that NBC assclown was still calling him "Mr. Universe" in the second round of the playoffs, it just showed how they were desperate to have some sort of "angle" to play.

I saw a much moer focused Bryzgalov down the stretch and LOVED his "interviews" with the media after "the talk" with Briere and Co.

I put the C on Briere and ride that for the next three seasons before giving it to Giroux. As to G and Timonen.

And both of them will be playing in front of Ilya Bryzgalov with the letter on their jersey.

• Like 3

He was given a role by the HBO folks and the rest of the media ran with it - including the oh so creative Phlly media. When that NBC assclown was still calling him "Mr. Universe" in the second round of the playoffs, it just showed how they were desperate to have some sort of "angle" to play.

I saw a much moer focused Bryzgalov down the stretch and LOVED his "interviews" with the media after "the talk" with Briere and Co.

I put the C on Briere and ride that for the next three seasons before giving it to Giroux. As to G and Timonen.

And both of them will be playing in front of Ilya Bryzgalov with the letter on their jersey.

You know what that ain't a bad idea because i was just thinking what in the world could improve his effort on the defensive side...

...and if this doesn't put the spot light on him to give a full effort forechecking and BACKCHECKING nothing will.

Me too. He can't be worse. Please tell me he can't be worse.

"].@idahophilly

Bryz "haters" had every reason. i recall you jumping on the 'hatewagon" when he was trying his hardest to let Pittsburgh beat us in the playoffs,.

This comment from Bryz says it all " "I would like to thank fans who fairly criticized me."

If he plays like he's paid to, nobody will complain. That's all I ask of him. He's one of the top paid goalies in the league,,,it's time for him to play like one.

Mojo, Mojo, Moojoooo!

Did you really say something nice about Bryz? I just finished reading the transcript and.... OMG ..... he sounds grounded, calm and logical with good answers to each question. (but, lets keep that a secret between us). Bryz haters will still hate him even IF he has the cup lifted over his head.... Oh, and how dare you have a "second" thought in your head that isn't job related!!! ;)

I don't think any of us so called "haters" will hate Bryz if he gets his act together and leads the Flyers to the promised land, like he was brought in to do. He came in with high expectations and he fell far short of those expectations. Why is it so hard to understand that people got frustrated with him? On top of the poor play, he was making off the wall comments that obviously didn't sit well with his team mates, as well as the fans. In the end, the fact that he was upsetting the rest of the team enough for them to have a private meeting with him is more then enough validation that me and the other "haters" were not blindly hating on the guy.

I truely believe he is going to find his game and be better then last year, I mean he can't get much worse. I think he is a better goalie then he showed us last year, but I'm certainly not looking at it as a guarenteed outcome.

When a player stinks on a consistent basis, I boo and express my frustration. If that makes me a hater, so be it.

@Adamflyers

I'm not saying you are a hater per say... I just (and thats me alone and only me) have a way of viewing things that are not reactionary. Things tend to flesh themselves out over time. We all want instant results but that is seldom the case in real life. I get your frustration and totally diagree with a previous poster that I was on hate bandwagon. If anything, I was on the defence most of the time.

Well, right or wrong, we are going to get a second look.... I'll make sure my Brandy supply is stocked!!!!

Well, I wasn't exactly expecting to read "I'll be inconsistent again like last year"...lol. Having said that, I have a little inclining of hope that Bryz plays net the way he is supposed to. Lord knows, if the Weber signing goes through...and Schenn gets coached up a bit and Gross and Mez are healthy....we could be significantly better at clearing the crease and allowing less second chances. This should help Bryz's stats considerably.

• Like 1

Yes yes he's well-aware his season in Philly was not a success. Bravo, he gets it. You'd have to be a complete moron not know that but okay, he said it out loud, good for him.

Did anyone really expect more of the "it's their fault not mine" we heard during the season?

The quote, "I'd like to thank the fans who fairly criticized me" has PR written all over it. Somebody sat down with Mr. B and told him it's time to make nice with Flyers' fans; this is what they came up with. Not bad; it works. So looking at the positives, he's not lashing out at the fans or blaming his troubles on his teammates. That's progress!

Did anyone really expect more of the "it's their fault not mine" we heard during the season?

Care to elaborate? I know a few things that could be construed - if one wanted - to be that way, but I don't recall any "it's their fault" specifics along with the "not mine" part.

c'mon rad, we both know he made a couple comments during the season that didn't have to be "construed" as blaming his teammates, he did blame his teammates.

If you don't remember, you don't remember. But if you care to take the time and look up the Bryzgalov quotes from this past season you'll find them.

Care to elaborate? I know a few things that could be construed - if one wanted - to be that way, but I don't recall any "it's their fault" specifics along with the "not mine" part.

Didn't he imply several times during the last-year multiple interviews (especially at the exit) how hard it is to play here... and how he would not wish what he went through to anybody... and how the whole team is responsible.... and how better "the team needs to play defensively".

While he didn't go out and bluntly point fingers, it was quite clear he was looking to justify his poor play. No, he didn't expressly throw anybody under the bus, but not once........... NOT ONCE........ I have heard him admitting that he played poorly and that he needs to start cleaning up his own mess. Maybe I missed it, but I just don't remember it.

He hardly stole *any* games in the playoffs, and the team advanced to the second round basically *despite* him....... and only because the Pens, led by Fleury, did everything in their power not to beat the Flyers. It is frightening and disappointing when the likes of Robert Esche and Boucher have more to show for in the Flyers’ history than the goalie who was signed to lead the way and finally solve the goaltending woes that this team has been mired in for ages.

The morale of the story is... Bryz will have to do a whole lot more than say the right things in this interview. He needs to start playing like a goalie who gets paid big bucks. He needs to start his action do the talking instead of his smart mouth. He needs to start stealing games and stop letting his team down so frequently. He needs to start measuring up to high expectations.

Sorry Rad, but I won't change my opinion of that whole acquisition a year ago until I see some results. The talk is cheap.

Edited by Mad Dog