FLYERS SIGN WEBER TO MASSIVE OFFER SHEET

Guest jkearse123

I was just thinking, and maybe I'm mistaken, but...

Doesn't Nashville still have the option of trading Weber's rights to another team before the 7 days is up, thus leaving that team to match or not match the offer? I could be way off, but for some reason I was thinking that was permissible. Not that it would happen anyway... :P

No, they don't. Once an offer sheet is signed, Weber cannot be traded anywhere. If Nashville declines to match, they receive four 1sts/can work out a deal with Philly to return some of them for other compensation, but the only teams he can play for now are the Flyers or Predators, if they match.

Trading of rights is only relevant in the period before FA opens, when a team can acquire the rights of an impending UFA to allow them an exclusive pre-FA negotiating window.

I was just thinking, and maybe I'm mistaken, but...

Doesn't Nashville still have the option of trading Weber's rights to another team before the 7 days is up, thus leaving that team to match or not match the offer? I could be way off, but for some reason I was thinking that was permissible. Not that it would happen anyway... :P

Pretty sure that's not possible. I think Nashville's only option are match (and keep him for at least one year) or don't match (and he's a Flyer).

Weber's agent:

When Philadelphia came to us with a more than fair market contract, it was too good for us to pass up,” said Weber's agent, Jarrett Bousquet of Titan Sports. “If you look at Philadelphia and the great history and tradition they have it just seemed like too good of an opportunity to let pass.

“We had to take a long look at it. It was a hard decision, but Shea wants to give himself the best opportunity to win, as well as work under the conditions of the current collective bargaining agreement.”

Meltzer's take:

"The only way I could see Weber ending up in Philadelphia now is via a two-step trade over the next week. That is doable. As with the Chris Gratton acquisition in 1997, the Flyers can immediately re-acquire some or all of the compensatory picks they would send to Nashville in exchange for not matching the offer sheet. It would be a de facto trade for Weber although officially it would technically be two different transactions. Officially, the Predators would decline to match the offer sheet, and then trade draft picks back to Philadelphia in exchange for players.

Weber is the one and only player in the NHL for whom I would NOT consider anyone but Claude Giroux untouchable from a Philly standpoint. Depending on what else would be going to the Predators, I could see the Flyers making even the likes of Sean Couturier and the Schenn brothers available."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

I have to say that I find myself agreeing with him. If it does come down to a trade for roster players, other than Giroux I think anyone is in play. I would really hate to lose Couturier, but for Weber...

Edited by JackStraw

Meltzer's take:

"The only way I could see Weber ending up in Philadelphia now is via a two-step trade over the next week. That is doable. As with the Chris Gratton acquisition in 1997, the Flyers can immediately re-acquire some or all of the compensatory picks they would send to Nashville in exchange for not matching the offer sheet. It would be a de facto trade for Weber although officially it would technically be two different transactions. Officially, the Predators would decline to match the offer sheet, and then trade draft picks back to Philadelphia in exchange for players.

Weber is the one and only player in the NHL for whom I would NOT consider anyone but Claude Giroux untouchable from a Philly standpoint. Depending on what else would be going to the Predators, I could see the Flyers making even the likes of Sean Couturier and the Schenn brothers available."

http://www.hockeybuz...p?blogger_id=45

I have to say that I find myself agreeing with him. If it does come down to a trade for roster players, other than Giroux I think anyone is in play. I would really hate to lose Couturier, but for Weber...

I don't get why Homer would make ANY players available.

He can add Weber and lose picks on a team that, while thin in the A, is young and deep in the NHL.

I'm not parting with any big pieces, if I'm the Flyers. No need.

• Like 1

I like Weber ALOT but am I the only one nervous about giving up four first round draft picks? I don't like that one bit. I probably would have let Weber sign for a year with Nashville and then gone after him at the trade deadline or sign him as a UFA next summer (and keep the picks).

That being said I won't be sad to see him in the O & B. I am just a little nervous about giving up so many picks.

Couturier AND the Schenns? I'd much rather give up 4-1sts.

I think that Couts and both Schenns seems like too much. But what if Poile says, "We will match unless..."? Keep in mind that the trade would probably (hopefully) bring back 2 first rounders.

Edited by JackStraw

@Hexy27

i look at it this way, yes it is 4 first rounders, but given the Flyers history they are always late first rounders, so for every claude giroux & justin williams there is a jeff woywitka or maxime oullette.

the flyers traditionally pick so late they might as well be second round picks. now homer needs to stop throwing them around like stoners throw frisbees but i think the team will be fine because the draft is no longer the only place you find good players there are NCAA players , elite european leagues that can be scouted. there are other ways to restock the cupboard provided the team stays committed to this corps of players.

@mojo1917

I have considered that. The Flyers have been at 20 or bellow in the first round for the last few seasons. Still losing 4 first round picks hurts. In the prelockout era with no cap it wasn't as big a deal but now it puts the squeeze on your future. That being said we do have a young core and as long as they can stay consistent they can mask that loss.

I guess when put into perspective of losing B. Schenn or Couturier I'd rather give up the picks. Those two have at least proven themselves. I'd like to think Giroux and Couturier are untouchable but Homer has shown us that no one is untouchable. It will be an interesting 7 days for sure. Here's hoping our core group of young players remains largely intact.

I like Weber ALOT but am I the only one nervous about giving up four first round draft picks? I don't like that one bit. I probably would have let Weber sign for a year with Nashville and then gone after him at the trade deadline or sign him as a UFA next summer (and keep the picks).

That being said I won't be sad to see him in the O & B. I am just a little nervous about giving up so many picks.

it is four firsts, but when you consider they will likely be in the low end of the round, it's not the end of the world.

Here are years, players who played in the NHL and number of games played in round 1 picks 21-30

2009: 8, 396 (49.5 nhl games per player)

2008: 8, 652 (81.5)

2007: 7, 741 (105.8)

2006: 9, 1135 (126)

20% of these picks have yet to play in the NHL. You have diamonds in the rough (Giroux among them) but another seven have played less than 10 games in the league and another five have played less than 20. Over 40 picks, you're looking at 17 that could easily be termed "busts" - over 40% of the picks!

@radoran

That is a good breakdown. I just get nervous whenever I see deals that involve so many picks. I am also a little concerned by these long term deals the Flyers have been giving out in recent years: Briere, Richards, Carter, Pronger, Bryz and now Weber. Carter and Richie are gone but they were replaced with Bryz and Weber (and with a higher dollar hit by each). Draft picks are a good way to offset those expensive players and I am a little concerned that it will handcuff us in the future. Someone some day may do this to us when we have a high value RFA (i.e. Giroux) available and we might not have the room to match that offer.

@radoran

That is a good breakdown. I just get nervous whenever I see deals that involve so many picks. I am also a little concerned by these long term deals the Flyers have been giving out in recent years: Briere, Richards, Carter, Pronger, Bryz and now Weber. Carter and Richie are gone but they were replaced with Bryz and Weber (and with a higher dollar hit by each). Draft picks are a good way to offset those expensive players and I am a little concerned that it will handcuff us in the future. Someone some day may do this to us when we have a high value RFA (i.e. Giroux) available and we might not have the room to match that offer.

I share your concerns. I don't like the length of deal and hated the Bryz term (although not the concept itself).

I think Homer looks at Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Read and likes his depth in the NHL. Add in Voracek and you have a strong, solid young core.

Giroux will NOT become an RFA - the Flyers will lock him up before it gets there (or announce the signing at 12:01 on July 1)

It's really 4 second round picks honestly. And Homer doesn't like those anyway

• Like 1

@Hexy27

i look at it this way, yes it is 4 first rounders, but given the Flyers history they are always late first rounders, so for every claude giroux & justin williams there is a jeff woywitka or maxime oullette.

the flyers traditionally pick so late they might as well be second round picks. now homer needs to stop throwing them around like stoners throw frisbees but i think the team will be fine because the draft is no longer the only place you find good players there are NCAA players , elite european leagues that can be scouted. there are other ways to restock the cupboard provided the team stays committed to this corps of players.

Exactly.

Give up the 4 picks. Do NOT give up the kids.