Weber Poll !

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will Weber be a Flyer?

• Yes
    • No
    • It doesn't matter, Homer is on Crack!
  2. 2. Who, if any one, will the Flyers lose?

• Voracek
    • Schenn, one or both...
    • Read
    • Couts
    • Clark
    • package of picks/AHL'ers
  3. 3. What the "heck" is Homer doing?

• An attempt to freak out the NHLPA?
    • An attempt to actually get Weber?
    • An attempt to keep Weber away from rivals
    • or... he has gone mental/ w the Doan offer as reported.
    • Holmgren is as smart as a fox...

To answer the question "why would we have to trade", it would be because Poile tells Holmgren "hey you screwed me here. You want this guy that bad? Ok fine... But unless you give me Voracek, the Schenn's, and a first round pick I'm gonna match your offer sheet and you can pound salt.". I'm not saying its financially sound, but bluff or not it's a very real possibility here.

If I'm Holmgren and Poile makes that threat, I tell him, "Go ahead then."

He can't be traded for 365 calendar days. So they give him 13 million now, and 13 million on July 1st. Plus his 1 million salary and Rinne's 7 million. 34 million dollars to two players, from a team that charges less than $20 for tickets in some cases. That's going to be tough on the ownership. They may very well approve it and let Poile match, but I think it will hurt them more than help.

And if Poile and Nashville aren't bluffing and they match? He's a Pred for life. Why would they bother trading him when they've paid out a quarter of the salary already? If they bit the bullet that much, might as well swallow it and keep him for the life of the contract.

• Like 2

And if Poile and Nashville aren't bluffing and they match? He's a Pred for life. Why would they bother trading him when they've paid out a quarter of the salary already? If they bit the bullet that much, might as well swallow it and keep him for the life of the contract.

all this for a player they might already know doesn't want to be there anymore.

I´m feeling Voracek, both Schenns and a 1st round pick might do the trick. Would you do it?

Personally, I wouldn't. I mean.... if there is anybody who is worth so much it's Weber. But how are the Flyers better off doing this? They will strenghten the D but at what cost and with what goal? Who is going to score goals? Besides, in this scenrio, they will lose Luke Schenn. They already lost Carle, so even on defense, it is a bit of a stretch.

No, I would not do that trade. No way.

I´m feeling Voracek, both Schenns and a 1st round pick might do the trick.

No offense, but I'm glad that you aren't the GM.

I say give him the picks. No way I part with the Schenn brothers. Voracek, Read & a pick or two? Maybe.

LOL, I know. My bad. I meant including one of the Schenns, Luke. It´s just that we are THAT close to getting arguably the best defenseman in the league, just when he´s hitting his prime. I just pray Weber is a Flyer next week, and that it didn´t cost an arm and a leg. But if Nashville intend to match, they should try and make a trade instead.

And the hell with a salary cap!!!!!!!!! ;)

TOTALLY agree Mad Dog I think that in the NHL and the lack of major TV money that there shouldn't be a cap. If there is a cap then the cap should be weighted so the teams generating the most revenue have a higher cap to play with. Why penalize teams like the Original 6, Flyers, Blues and other good markets to support teams in Phoenix, Florida, etc. Or implement a tax like in baseball. Teams like the Yankees and Red Sox will also do well and keep the sport in the limelight and use the tax money to help the teams not as succesful.

In the NHL, like baseball the league does much better when a popular team or a big market team is in the finals. The NHL's best case was an LA Rangers matchup but they were dreading a Phoenix NJ matchup as the ratings would have really been in the toilet.

Posted · Hidden by hf101, July 21, 2012 - Duplicate thread
Hidden by hf101, July 21, 2012 - Duplicate thread

AndyS posted:

Friday, July 20, 2012 12:06 PM

I´m feeling Voracek, both Schenns and a 1st round pick might do the trick.

No offense, but I'm glad that you aren't the GM.

I say give him the picks. No way I part with the Schenn brothers. Voracek, Read & a pick or two? Maybe.

jammer2 posted:

Friday, July 20, 2012 12:41 PM

What happens if Weber's agent has told Poile in no uncertain terms, his client will never play for Nashville again, even if he matches the offer sheet. Who would want such a black cloud hanging over the franchise? Better off to take the 4 picks and run. Just say'in...Weber's agent might have already conveyed this message/veiled threat....it is possible. Perhaps even Homer suggested this strategy right after signing him, to grab a stranglehold on his services.

AndyS posted:

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:05

Jammer2 posted: What happens if Weber's agent has told Poile in no uncertain terms, his client will never play for Nashville again, even if he matches the offer sheet. Who would want such a black cloud hanging over the franchise? Better off to take the 4 picks and run. Just say'in...Weber's agent might have already conveyed this message/veiled threat....it is possible. Perhaps even Homer suggested this strategy right after signing him, to grab a stranglehold on his services.

And Poile can make Homer/the Flyers FO out to be the "bad guy" in the situation.

sarsippius posted:

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:24 PM

Jammer2 posted: What happens if Weber's agent has told Poile in no uncertain terms, his client will never play for Nashville again, even if he matches the offer sheet. Who would want such a black cloud hanging over the franchise?

Well, the other side of that is weber would have to be prepared to sit out an entire year, with no trade for one year after RFA match.....

sarsippius posted:

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:33 PM

@

Indeed!

Let's just hope he ends up in orange and black, Flyer fans have had a man crush on this guy for what, 3 years now?

Howie58 posted:

Friday, July 20, 2012 4:48 PM

I've been thinking throughout this saga that this is where the NHL's relative lack of TV income hurts the small markets. If there were more bucks along those lines, the Nashvilles of the League would play this game--there would be more money to share.

Best,

Howie

jammer2 posted:

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:47 PM

@ I've wanted Weber on the Flyers for years and years...just thought it was a pipedream, never, ever once thought it was feasable...until now!!